Update of XBMC within XBMC.
(2019-02-20, 04:57)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-02-20, 04:35)Snaah Wrote:  Oh, how can I have missed that?
You and me both. Smile Thanks @troggy

It is here... https://kodi.tv/addon/scripts/kodi-windows-installer  
 I say thanks too, @troggy

Not a full solution though, as it doesn't seem to be automatical.

(2019-02-20, 07:00)jjd-uk Wrote: The problem I am led to believe is tbat it's not a simple task to do it in a cross platform way for all the different OS's that Kodi supports, hence it hasn't been done as part of the code. I think there has been unmerged work done for OS-X and Windows desktop builds, but not sure if that is still being worked on.

But it can't be impossible, right? I still find it surprising it hasn't been done during all the time Kodi/XBMC has been around. I'm no programmer though.
Probably not impossible for the person with the right skills, but it's far from simple either. Ideally we'd probably a cross platform library that handles the heavy work for us, but it seems one does not currently exist, or at least not one easily usable by Kodi. Therefore it needs someone with the combination of inclination, skill and time to code something from scratch, so probably hasn't been done as those the the inclination don't have the skill, and those with the skill don't have the inclination, or perhaps nobody has the time or other priorities.
There was OS-X and Windows work being done on https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6474 but that seems to have stalled and hasn't been worked for a while. Please note the above github link is provided for info only, do not post anything on github unless you are a developer who can help.
I will never finish that. It’s not the code changes that is tiresome. It’s the things it does to our mirrors and it’s traffic and load.
Before rolling something like this out a lot of people have to estimate corner cases that need to be handled to not overload our infra structure.
I still have no idea why people have such a hard time to do manual updates.

If someone wants to work on this - sparkle framework is still the way to go. But as said - that code for Kodi is done already for OS X and windows. All other platforms can‘t be supported due to the sandbox nature that does not allow this. (Ob droid and uwp the store has to be used for updates - for Linux it’s the distribution package system and for iOS only side loading is possible for us)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
A few other points:

* given how many people were moaning about the Play Store auto-updating their Android versions anyway (even though it's their settings on their devices and nothing directly to do with Kodi anyway) there might not be quite the audience for automating it that you may think.
* for people using the stable versions, the Play Store covers many people anyway (as it does for the beta versions, for those signed up to that programme).
* Android actually prevents the app self-updating that way anyway (as is currently limiting the Android updater add-on, making it only able to download the apk but not install it).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Update of XBMC within XBMC.0