No way to turn off Resume Playback in Dharma b1
ridler Wrote:I think Nektarios has a point here. Maybe it would be an idea to introduce a functionality to delete (or disable) resume points after a certain amount of time. After 2 month I won't continue watching something that I stopped in the middle before, I will start all over again...

Totally agree... there should be a couple of triggers that make it forget resume locations. Another trigger should be, if one rewinds towards the beginning, it should reset resume location. Currently it doesn't, if you are in the middle of the video and rewind towards the beginning, it will still prompt you to the middle of the video.
jmarshall Wrote:Obviously 2 extra options are overwhelming for many users that they get confused. Fair enough, will add a some code so that we can remove it.

The original point of this thread holds, however: The "ALWAYS PLAY, DAMNIT" option isn't present, and won't be added back in unless the suitable text is found for ALL the options.

I still think that your text were correct, why don't you use that?
r33866 removes the "Info" and "More..." options off the "resume" menu.

I prefer the idea of forgetting resume points after certain conditions are met than introducing an "always play no matter what" option which is generally not what folk want, but am certainly not 100% against the option if nothing else will suffice.

We also need to tweak the intervals of when a resume point is actually recorded. At the moment there's resume points close to the end (well into the credits at least) which is simply not the goal here.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I would also prefer a option where resume points are auto-deleted after a pre-defined (by user) time.
jmarshall Wrote:We also need to tweak the intervals of when a resume point is actually recorded. At the moment there's resume points close to the end (well into the credits at least) which is simply not the goal here.

well if the user have set always play - no resume points should be set at all.
Slightly off topic, but http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10207 has a patch for what (IMO) are better ignore periods for resume points. New defaults are 3 minutes ignored at start, and 10% ignored at end. Both are alterable via as.xml - you could make the ignore at end to 100% to not generate any resume points.

Comments/criticisms most welcome.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

sounds good to me - only reason I mentioned the no restore points was that it should not use ressources to set them if they were not needed.
Sounds good to me, also means you wont have to add an 'always play' option as the user can basically remove resume points.
TV shows have no credits.. or very short ones, any chance of setting a separate percentage to them?
migueld Wrote:TV shows have no credits.. or very short ones, any chance of setting a separate percentage to them?

They don't? All of my tv shows have credits. Granted they aren't as long as they are for movies but they still last for anywhere up to 2 minutes for some of the cable shows (Sopranos, Dexter, etc).
Do you actually need it? 7% of 42 minutes is 2:55 or thereabouts. There's not much chance of you stopping it wanting to resume when there's just 3 minutes left to go.

Let's keep things simple.

Sranshaft Wrote:They don't? All of my tv shows have credits. Granted they aren't as long as they are for movies but they still last for anywhere up to 2 minutes for some of the cable shows (Sopranos, Dexter, etc).

I guess they are so short compared to movies that they are easy to overlook Wink I've checked a dozen or so tv shows and they are all around 40 secs. Roughly speaking, a TV show is around 45 min (some ~20min), so given the proposed implementation, 10% would be 4.5 mins, which would be quite off.

I'm not sure how much of a deal this would be, but I can recall a couple of situations where I've had to run, and left a couple of minutes unwatched.
I would love the option to be able to reset the "Resume From" time in the context menu for an individual movie or TV show. Occasionally I will watch a scene from a favourite movie or TV show. Doing this will bring up the "Resume From" dialog box the next time I watch the show.

Ordinarily I wouldn't be too bothered by this, except it means one extra button push (no biggie in the scale of things, I know). However, I am plagued by the duplicate button push problem using my Harmony remote. This only seems to affect the "Enter" button. I've seen some posts elsewhere on the forum from people with the same problem, but so far have not seen a solution. The upshot of this is that when I start to watch a movie or TV show it frequently jumps to the resume point.

I also like to check that a video is playing properly when I add it to my library, consequently, most of the videos in my library have resume points set. An option to remove the resume point (much in the way you can mark a movie "Unwatched") would be a welcome feature feature.

Thanks for your time and effort!
jmarshall Wrote:Slightly off topic, but http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10207 has a patch for what (IMO) are better ignore periods for resume points. New defaults are 3 minutes ignored at start, and 10% ignored at end. Both are alterable via as.xml - you could make the ignore at end to 100% to not generate any resume points.

Comments/criticisms most welcome.

Cheers,
Jonathan

is this option now part of the new beta3? if so whats the cmd for the advanced file, cause ive tried the 100 for the <ignoreatstart>100</ignoreatstart> but doesnt work. i dont want to prompted to resume video when i select to play it, i find it very annoying
jmarshall Wrote:r33866 removes the "Info" and "More..." options off the "resume" menu.

I prefer the idea of forgetting resume points after certain conditions are met than introducing an "always play no matter what" option which is generally not what folk want, but am certainly not 100% against the option if nothing else will suffice.

We also need to tweak the intervals of when a resume point is actually recorded. At the moment there's resume points close to the end (well into the credits at least) which is simply not the goal here.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Most people still use the Camelot release, and when everyone gets on Dharma I'm sure there will be many who will complain about this. And I really still don't understand why "always play" has been excluded in the first place.

Almost everyday I like to go to my movie library and playback some of my movies just to see some scenes of them. I am a movie-phile I love my movies! But this renders my movies's resume points useless, because they all will be stopped at random each day.

Resume is a nice feature, I agree, but when I want to play a movie, I want it to play from the start. And if I want to resume a movie, I will consciously seek to press the appropriate button/sequence to resume it (which for me is almost never).

Please give me this option, thank you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No way to turn off Resume Playback in Dharma b10