Video jerky during pan
I have long been bothered by some jerkiness during panned scenes. I don't know if the problem is the encoding or the decoding or both. If I play the ripped VOB files, the images play back very well and perhaps as good as the DVD player. But if I play the same movie encoded as h.264, then I start running into trouble.

I use DVDFab to rip and encode. I use a bits/pixel rate of about .3. Doubling the bits/pixel does not seem to improve things.

My TV is a Sony 1920x1080 ~46" LCD.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit on a 3Ghz Duo CPU. 4G ram.
Graphics is GeForce 9500-GT (hardware acceleration enabled)
XBMC is Dharma Beta-1 with hardware acceleration enabled, native full screen mode, resolution=Windows resolution=display resolution.

I am a bit perplexed on what to do. I suppose the first thing is to establish whether it is the playback or the recording that is the problem. I have just downloaded the "killa sample" to see if that enlightens me.

I am happy to install Linux if that would help. I have installed it many times on other machines. (Which distribution should I use?).

Any suggestions are welcome.
Speaking as a non-expert I think this is telecine judder: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine#Telecine_judder.

Allegedly you can tweak the video playback settings to reduce the judder, though it seems to have little effect on my PC.

JR
You can generally mitigate the effect of this somewhat by using the 'Sync playback to display' settings (I use Video clock, resample audio), as well as ensuring that XBMC is selecting the best available refresh rate for the file you are playing.
Please post a debug log.
Does this only happen with certain files or with any file...

Would be nice to know if the file type, size, container is effecting this.
My guess is soft telecine ntsc dvd stored in mkv which has millisecond resolution timestamps.
We don't handle that very well at the moment.
I have noticed this for some time using various media. I am assuming that DVDFab is at least partially responsible and I am pursuing that angle at the moment. I'm also going to download a tool that I read about that can help me determine if telecine is present in the media and some of the characteristics about it (soft/hard, top-bottom frame, variable, etc.).

I am definitely able to make the judder worse with some DVDFab settings. I usually encode to .mp4. QuickTime and Windows Media Player demonstrate the same problem. I can try on a Mac (when my wife tells me how) using FrontRow.
fbacher Wrote:I'm also going to download a tool that I read about that can help me determine if telecine is present in the media and some of the characteristics about it (soft/hard, top-bottom frame, variable, etc.).

Interesting, any chance of a link to the tool (if it's not something that breeches T&C of the site)?

many thanks

Ed

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video jerky during pan0