Multiple Libraries? (eg. per person)
So my family and I are moving into a new house that we had had built with things like in ceiling speakers, etc. In hopes of becoming a more tech oriented family, instead of just me. We've got all our media stored on our server, and planned on using XBMC to access all of it (from a computer next to every TV). With movies, photos, shows, etc, this works fine, but we have a bit of a challenge when it comes to music. Obviously not everyone in the house likes the same music the others do, and we don't want to have someone elses music come up while trying to listen to our own.

I figured this whole time that we could just set up smart playlists, one for each person that pulls their music from their own music folder on the server, and then if we wanted a selection of everybody's music at once, we could go to the normal library to browse through everything on the server. Unfortunately, though this would work, the layout for playlists isn't very nice - you either have to look at a list of every song or of every album. Is there a way to have a playlist of Artists? Or to choose from multiple libraries?
One way you could do it is to setup separate libraries using profiles. To access the whole lot they'd then go via files view.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Alright, how would I go about doing that. And as I said, Im really the only tech oriented person in the family; would it be easy for the... err... technically challenged to switch between the profiles?
No, you select the profile to load and you're done. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Profiles for more information.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Alright, thanks alot! That'll definately work. 1 question though, and I know this is a bit unrelated, so maybe I should make a seperate thread. The computer running XBMC will be in the basement, fedding it to the TV on the main floor. We aren't going to want to have a keyboard and mouse sitting around, obviously. For all our other devices we are using a universal remote, that sends the signals to a box in the basement which sends out the IR signals to the other devices next to it. The computer thats running XBMC does not have IR on it... would it possible to buy another remote that will directly interface with the computer via RFID or whatever its called? And would be able to set the switching profiles window to a button on the remote to make it easier? I know some people still won't get how to switch by going through the menus.
I am new to XBMC also, so take this with a grain of salt...

You could just buy a Windows Media Center Remote and receiver. Which would then work like the rest of your devices do. XBMC works with these out the box, and would be the simplest solution that I see.
Okay, I set up all the profiles to all share the same media info but have seperate sources. And even though it shows this when going to Music>Files, the libraries all contain the same music and all share the same changes when made to one of the libraries (eg. Removing all of someones music that is in someone else's library removes it from the right library that it's supposed to be in too). How can this be fixed?
You want it the other way around - separate media info per user, same sources.

They have the same sources so they can browse everything by file mode. The only things in their library, however, are there own tracks.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

@GtwoK

If you are using one of the harmony remotes with the RF repeater then my guide here should be of assistance to you:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67350

You will need a usb IR receiver for you XBMC PC. You can then setup the Harmony remote to control XBMC and your commands should be relayed to the IR receiver on your XBMC box in the basement from your RF repeater. Hope this helps.

-hogfan
jmarshall - okay, I THINK its working now. It takes an annoyingly long time to scan music to the library though, so I'm not positive yet. I'll have to wait a bit and see.

hogfan - thanks, but we're actually using this.
Turn off internet lookups for albums and artists and music will be scanned in nice and quick.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple Libraries? (eg. per person)0