Change subtitle color to something other than ones listed?
Exclamation 
I know you can change the subtitles color through the menu but I got a new plasma and I am breaking it in, so no black bars, etc for the first 200 hours. Anyways I was wondering if it was possible to change the subtitles to whatever color I want, I am looking for a darker gray as its easier on the plasma during its break in period. Is this possible? Using XBMC Dharma beta 2 Live.
If your Plasma is that sensitive, you should have considered whether it was worth the purchase. I doubt very much for the period of time that subtitles appear on screen, that it will have any affect on your screen.

Out of curiosity what screen did you get?
Its not that sensitive, but during the break in period it is not recommended to have high contrast white against a black background, I have one of the best plasmas to date, the panasonic vt25 and I have yet to see another HDTV match it's picture quality, other than the pioneer Kuro.

Anyways let's not turn this into a you shouldn't have gotten a plasma thread because that won't be helpful to anyone. Is it or is it not possible to change the color of the subtitles to something a little darker?
No intention to. I have the Kuro, hence my reason for asking and it had no running in period, hence my question. As I said for the brief period of display I wouldn't have thought it would prove to be an issue. Anyway, if you know you can change the subtitle colour through the menu, why ask the question, are the colours available insufficent, or do you want to customise the colour palette?

System\Video\Subtitles\Colour - there is a grey option there.
Yeah the colors on the menu are still too bright for my taste, so I am wondering if it was possible to customize the color palette itself. I am looking for something along the lines of this color http://lyndawilloughby.com/sitebuilder/i...45x990.jpg. Btw sorry, didn't want to seem hostile but I was just getting fed up with LCD fanboys telling me I made the wrong decision on countless forums :p

Is there a file I can edit with hex or something?
it's not customizable but it's an easy change if you can compile. if so i can instruct.
I might have an idea of how to do it so go ahead. Thanks btw Spiff.
there are two ways to go about this;
1) the dirty one - see GUIWindowFullscreen.cpp - the color array on top, just adjust the hex code for one of them. note that these are ARGB. the order is the same as the order of colors starting with localize string 760.
2) the pretty one - make the colors customizable. much more involved. have a feeling the 'might have an idea' imply no real dev skills
I am majoring in computer science so I think I am sure I can figure out the code once I set my eyes on it. Thanks Spiff.

Edit: Okay I really can't seem to find the freakin file anywhere. Where is it located? Nothing in my Windows installation and well as far as I can see nothing in my Live installation aswell. Already have C++ ready to go, anxious to try this out.

EditEdit: Alright I think now I understand what you meant if I could compile. Guess I can't really do it as since I am running live I would have to compile it for linux and well, I don't have a PC/Laptop running on Linux, only windows so I guess I can't compile it. Thanks for the help though.
mobious Wrote:EditEdit: Alright I think now I understand what you meant if I could compile. Guess I can't really do it as since I am running live I would have to compile it for linux and well, I don't have a PC/Laptop running on Linux, only windows so I guess I can't compile it. Thanks for the help though.

You could of course use the Windows build and compile it yourself using the free VS2008 Express ...

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:You could of course use the Windows build and compile it yourself using the free VS2008 Express ...

JR

So I can compile it to run on Live?
yes, live is just a stripped ubuntu. follow compiling instructions for ubuntu and you're good.
mobious Wrote:So I can compile it to run on Live?

I meant that you could compile the Windows version on Windows and then use that (on Windows).

You can compile the Linux version if you have a Linux installation to hand. I'm not a particularly skilled Ubuntu user, but I managed to install Ubuntu then build XBMC. Once you've built XBMC you could manually put the new version back onto your Live install. This bit could be fiddly though.

JR
Yeah I guess it seems like too much work for a simple modification. Mainly because I don't have a Linux based os installed on any of my pc's, nor do I plan to anytime soon. Thanks for all the hep though guys it's greatly appreciated.
(2010-09-27, 15:07)spiff Wrote: there are two ways to go about this;
1) the dirty one - see GUIWindowFullscreen.cpp - the color array on top, just adjust the hex code for one of them. note that these are ARGB. the order is the same as the order of colors starting with localize string 760.
2) the pretty one - make the colors customizable. much more involved. have a feeling the 'might have an idea' imply no real dev skills

I would like to try spiff's sugestion to change subtitles colors (the dirty one), but could not find color hex codes at GUIWindowFullscreen.cpp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Change subtitle color to something other than ones listed?0