Thumbnails associated with music folders.
Okay, i have a highly unusual problem which just will not die.
Now when i installed XBMC it automatically allocated thumbnails to music folders in my library & the MP3s in each folder. Problem is with the various artists folders i created that are not official albums, it has allocated a thumbnail from one of the MP3s in that various artists folder as the thumb for almost all the mp3s in that folder & as the thumb for the folder itself in the XBMC music list.
I've tried all the obvious things like right clicking the folder, selecting Album Information, then selecting Get Thumb, then Browse & selecting a more generic picture straight from my HDD as the thumb for this folder, but this doesn't seem to work. It still displays the same unwanted thumb for this folder.
So then i tried going into this folder's properties in Windows Explorer & chose the generic picture to show as the folder's icon. Which almost worked... it changed the thumbs for most of the MP3s in that folder, but not the folder itself & three mp3s in it (& here's the strange part), the mp3 that this unwanted thumb would have come from HAS actually changed to the generic thumb i've selected. Just not the 3 other mp3s that have absolutely no association with the artist or album that this unwanted thumb represents.
So next i went to these 3 mp3s that still have the unwanted thumb & individually right clicked on each in XBMC, clicked on Song Information, then Get Thumb & manually selected the generic picture on my HDD that all the other mp3s in that folder now have. Initially i thought this worked, BUT as soon as i exit that folder in XBMC, i noticed the folder itself still has the unwanted thumb & when i go back into the folder the thumbs for those 3 mp3s have all changed back to the unwanted thumb grrrrrr. Angry
SO THEN i decided to completely delete the mp3 that this unwated thumb had to have come from, do you think this worked... NO. The folder & the 3 other mp3s in it still display this stupid thumbnail that won't die. So then i completely delete the other 3 mp3s that still have this thumb & you think the thumb for the folder changes to that of all the thumbs that is displayed for all the mp3s in that folder...NO Angry
I've searched high & low for this ever elusive unwanted thumbnail, but i can not find it anywhere let alone where thumbnails would be stored on my PC. I've thought of uninstalling XBMC & reinstalling it, but i really don't want to do this, as i will loose all my settings & knowing my luck this might not even fix the problem. Anyone know how to remove an existing thumbnail attached to a music folder in XBMC? Basicaly i don't want to select various artists album i've created & have it display the completely incorrect album cover for an individual artist. Especially since i've deleted the song by that artist & there's no trace of their music in this folder what so ever

NOTE: before you suggest this, i've already changed all the tags/properties for each mp3s in that folder so that the album name is the same as that of the folder they're in & appropriately deleted all other information except artist & title for each mp3.
Sorry, just to shorten that huge essay... how do i remove a thumbnail that appears for a particular music folder when i highlight or scroll over said music folder in the XBMC in my list of music albums? It's a various artist folder & i've removed & completely deleted the mp3 which XBMC would have taken this thumbnail from to allocate to the folder (and the other mp3s in this folder) but as i explained in more detail earlier, this didn't achieve anything. I just can't for the life of me het rid of this thumnail & can't find where XBMC keeps it, not that i'm savy enough to know what i'm looking for.
I'm using XBMC 9.11.0.0 Camelot & i'm running Windows 7 64 bit.
It's in the thumbnail cache. The only way to remove it is to go into the thumbnail cache (userdata/thumbnails/music) and delete the one that it's viewing. Using the filemanager helps as you can click on each thumb to see it bigger to find the one you want to get rid of.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

File manager? Do you mean Windows Explorer (My Computer)? Sorry i'm not quite as savy as other users on here & i'm relatively new to XBMC.
I did a search & eventually found the userdata/thumbnails/music directory & i deleted all the .tbn files from every subfolder in the userdata/thumbnails/music directory, but that didn't work at all. It's still displaying this rogue thumbnail. Even after i tried changing the thumb for the folder & every mp3 in it manually in XBMC a thousand times over... before & after deleting all the .tbn files. All deleting the .tbn files from that directory did was remove all the remote thumbs i downloaded in XBMC for albums that didn't have thumbs, but this rogue thumbnail is still there & still clinging to this Various Artists folder & the mp3s in it like a hemorrhoid. This rogue thumb is coming up as 'local' & was already there as soon as i added my music folder to the XBMC library & i don't know where Windows has this stored. But like i've said, i've deleted the file originally associated with that thumb & i've tried every other logical & obvious solution as i stated above, but nothing seems to work. Why XBMC is allocating this thumb to that folder & all the mp3s in it is beyond me. It would be more logical to leave folders & mp3s that don't have thumbs blank as XBMC has done with all my other albums that didn't have thumbs. Why it would allocate a random thumb only to this various artists folder & its mp3s is beyond me. This is a very annoying glitch though & i switched to XBMC from Windows Media Center specifically because of very frustrating library & cataloging issues. Looks like i just can't win. Unless there's some genius out there that knows a solution to my problem, i'd be very grateful.
if i were you i would start by checking each and every file in your mixed artist folder, using a tag editor and remove all images it finds in them. then create a folder.jpg image and place that inside that folder.

then reinstall completely and re scan your music (should not take too long) this should do the trick.
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
paul Wrote:if i were you i would start by checking each and every file in your mixed artist folder, using a tag editor and remove all images it finds in them. then create a folder.jpg image and place that inside that folder.

then reinstall completely and re scan your music (should not take too long) this should do the trick.

Any ideas on a tag editor that actually has the option to remove images. I have Collectorz MP3 Pro, but i don't think it has an option to remove images associated with mp3s. As far as i can tell all i can do is edit & auto fill tags, i haven't seen any option to remove thumbs embedded in mp3s.
It's okay, i found a tag editor & i'm in the process of adding the same image for every mp3 in that subfolder. I'll let you know how it works out so other people who have similar problems can use this as a reference. Thanks for that little nudge in the right direction.

One last thing. When you say reinstall, do you mean XBMC, or just my music library? Only because i have remote control mapping software installed also, which has a separate profile for XBMC, which is linked to the current XBMC exe. It'd be a pain to loose those settings & have to remap it all over again. Yeah i've been to hell & back with Media Centers & getting a HTPC set up all nicely. I've had enough of Media Centers already, if this works i can finally breathe a sigh of relief & get on with my life Tongue
Okay did all that. Used re-tagging software to change the picture of every single mp3 in that folder so that they all have the same generic thunmbnal. The folder also has the same thumb as a folder.jpg file in it. Uninstalled XBMC & selected remove profile during install. And you know what? It's STILL there. I just cannot believe this. No matter what i do i just can't get rid of this damn thing, it's like a bad smell.

EDIT: success! Big Grin
Repeated that process again & this time it worked. Not sure what caused it not to work the first time, but this time round it did.
I know this much though, the most important part is not adding thumbs to each individual mp3 with tag editing software (that step can even be skipped), but rather adding a folder.jpg of the thumb you want in the folder. As you copy it into the folder it'll actually prompt you to 'copy & replace' the ever elusive rogue thumbnail... which obviously is a big yes. Then before launching XBMC, be sure to go to userdata/thumbnails/music & delete 'everything' in it. Then when you run XBMC & go to music & click on that album, you'll see it automatically scan & hey presto. Annoying folder thumbnail gone for good, never to be seen again Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thumbnails associated with music folders.0