custom menus faq
i installed this skin for my housemate last night after building a HTPC for them. (i currently use aeon)

i like it so much i want to change my system over to this but i have few questions regarding custom menus and i can't find any faqs or tutorials so i thought i would post.

basically what i was hoping to do is create a custom menu for different things that i can't get to show up in movies or tvshows.

mainly NFL football and F1 but a simple catergory on the home menu for SPORT is basically what im trying to achieve.

is it posible to set up something like this? where on my home menu it would have, TVSHOWS MOVIES SPORT?

and in the sport menu i have stuff i select to show up such as NFL (with submenus for week 1 2010 week 2 2010 etc)

would greatly appreciate any help.

cheers.
anyone? im really hoping i can do this would love to have a sports menu on my home menu!
u can set up homemeny with sports, but not sure about the submenus. i have never played around with that.
Currently addicted to Night. Watch this teaser and join the forum.
Get and request your ClearLOGOs from the ClearLOGO site and forum
Try my changes to the Night skin if u like how they looks
zwat Wrote:u can set up homemeny with sports, but not sure about the submenus. i have never played around with that.

is there any info anywhere on how it works etc? tutorials? faqs etc i can't seem to figure out how to use it at all Sad

i'd be happy with just the sport menu on the homemenu pointed to a folder on my HDD. i can then just have the HDD with folders like week 1 week 2 etc and that would satisfy me.
frieten Wrote:is there any info anywhere on how it works etc? tutorials? faqs etc i can't seem to figure out how to use it at all Sad

i'd be happy with just the sport menu on the homemenu pointed to a folder on my HDD. i can then just have the HDD with folders like week 1 week 2 etc and that would satisfy me.

Would be simple -

1. just navigate to that folder
2. Press 'C' and add to favorite
3. Then in skin settings add that favorite to Home

Submenus, alot more work. If you want maybe I can talk you through...

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
There are loads of threads with info on adding custom home menu categories already.
Nick8888 Wrote:There are loads of threads with info on adding custom home menu categories already.

i've searched a million times and can't find anything.

i understand the basics off adding a favourite i can easily get the menu i want on the home menu the thing im confused with is sub menus as in i want the new menus i add to act as if there like the tv show or movie library with custom stuff not just as if i had browsed to a folder thru the video menu.

thanks for the offer mcborzu i'll pm you.
thanks to mcborzu were working on getting this setup awesome.

now have folder images for the folder icons and working on getting fanart as well as 16x9 support for file view!

thanks!
frieten Wrote:thanks to mcborzu were working on getting this setup awesome.

now have folder images for the folder icons and working on getting fanart as well as 16x9 support for file view!

thanks!

Hey, would you mind posting your solution for the custom home menu and sub-menu. I want to do something like you described.
no worries, heres some screenies to show what i've managed so far.

i've just added my NFL directory as a favourite and then added that thru the custom home menu item on the skin options. ( i have a heap of nfl wallpapers i put in a directory so it changes all the time)

i've then created a folder.jpg for the folders when you navigate into it thru poster mode (week 1, week 2, week 3 etc) you just put the folder.jpg in the directory you want it to be for (so put it in the week 1 folder and it will become the image for that folder.

i plan on having fanart here at some point once mcborzu explains his fanart trick for me Smile

im not sure if i want poster view for the next directories (full games, replays, shortcuts) i sorta like them in file view but will probally make up some folder images as well.

and finally when you get to the videos i just have it in file view at the moment but im hoping mcborzu will work on getting a 16x9 view into this for us so i will be using that for the videos themself. also probally going to have to work on renaming my files lol.

did a bit of tidying up, and added some folder images to the games folder etc

heres what it looks like currently.

once i can have a background image i think i'll be set.

file view:

poster:

full games folder:

i've downloaded images for each of the games so it shows the icons i think its a cool little addition Smile

my personal fav, bet you can guess what team i support Tongue

having a 16x9 view for these would be awesome

if anyone knows the way to add a background image to these views PLEASE let me know i would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks for sharing, i fumbled my way through last night and have a similar setup now but no folder images or fanart yet...if you figure out fanart, post your steps here again please. The the poster view looks squashed, same way my current TV view is. There where limited view options right (file, poster and one or two more?)? BTW, when you add the NFL directory to the Favorites list...how did you do that? Did you have to go to Videos, browse you storage drive and then select the NFL folder and mark it as a favorite? Just want to make sure I did it the right way. TIA
You guys should be alright if you have a folder.jpg and a fanart.jpg in the root of the folder...

xbmc4htpc Wrote:BTW, when you add the NFL directory to the Favorites list...how did you do that? Did you have to go to Videos, browse you storage drive and then select the NFL folder and mark it as a favorite? Just want to make sure I did it the right way. TIA

Just navigate to the folder and before you click on it to go into it, just hover over it and press 'C' and add to favorite then add that favorite to Home in skin settings.

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
mcborzu Wrote:You guys should be alright if you have a folder.jpg and a fanart.jpg in the root of the folder...

Just navigate to the folder and before you click on it to go into it, just hover over it and press 'C' and add to favorite then add that favorite to Home in skin settings.

i dont suppose extrafanart will work for file view?

(same as you do for tvshows?)

i tried the fanart.jpg in the same folder as folder.jpg but it doesn't seem to show up Sad

(edit) nvm i figured it out, had to put the fanart in the right spot lol.

it shows up in poster view now.

xbmc4htpc Wrote:Thanks for sharing, i fumbled my way through last night and have a similar setup now but no folder images or fanart yet...if you figure out fanart, post your steps here again please. The the poster view looks squashed, same way my current TV view is. There where limited view options right (file, poster and one or two more?)? BTW, when you add the NFL directory to the Favorites list...how did you do that? Did you have to go to Videos, browse you storage drive and then select the NFL folder and mark it as a favorite? Just want to make sure I did it the right way. TIA

yeah i noticed there squashed thats why i was hoping mcborzu could let us know a proper size for images for poster view so i can remake mine to fit and look better.

but for now poster view is the best option if we want fanart as well.

hoping mcborzu can get 16x9 view in soon it would be awesome!
Hi,

the information here was exactly what I needed, so thanks for that.

I had a suggestion for the author. Before coming across this thread I was looking for a way to display only UFC Fights in library mode.
The UFC Fights exist in my movie database, and I can browse to them easily.

But what I wanted was a custom menu item which allowed me to view only my UFC fights in library mode, not file mode.

I thought a neat solution to this would be an option to make a custom menu item which displays not a specific folder, but the entire movie/tv library filtered by a specific criteia.

So for example in this case I would make sure that all my UFC events were tagged with a "UFC" genre, and then create a custom menu item which displays the entire movie collection filtered by genre for items tagged UFC.

I have no experience in scripting skins so I have little idea how difficult, possible or useful this would be, but I though I'd through in my 2 bits.

Thanks for the skin man, it's awesome,

SlickRed

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
custom menus faq0