Benefits of building a server vs rebuilding HTPC?
I am currently using a DNS-323 and running out of space. I have been looking into building a WHS due to the fact that I have an unused license. It occurred to me that it may be cheaper to just buy a new case and rebuild my current setup with more drives. I am running XBMC on W7. I plan on putting everything in an adjacent room and putting a hole in the wall to run wires so noise should not be an issue. Is this a workable solution? Should I just go ahead and build the server? It seems that this option is not discussed much.
HTPC- Windows 7 64 Pro running XBMC Dharma Margro PVR Build, Intel I3 550, MSI H55M-ED55, 4 Gigs Ram, Asus EN GT430, Intel X25V, Antec MicroFusion Remote Case, HD Homerun Dual Tuner
Server- Unraid, 7TB storage, Intel I3 530, ASUS P7H55-M LE, 4 Gigs Ram, CoolerMaster CM690 Case
A/V- Sony 40Z5100, Sony HT-SS360
oh there is plenty on the subject.... just search for server...

best possible option

unRaid sever.. or what ever but I have unRaid and thats what I use. its on 24/7 but spins down my unused disks to save on power. I don't need a 1:1 ratio to protect my media like WHS calls for.

xbmc-live-FREAK edition on a settop box or htpc that is pulling all your media via gigabit lan connection using samba. supported by xbmc freak and unRaid.

unRaid sever for all your doing: Sabnzbd, sickbeard, Torreting, CouchPotato. etc.

I quickly released using my HTPC as my sever was a bad idea.

-=Jason=-
I will always vote for a separate server. My philosophy is my sig.

One more for a server.
Once you want to put another box in another location having all your media on a server makes things easier.
I also like to keep the clients lean and a nice large server on the backend.
Yep, 2 boxes is best:

1. Silent ION-based HTPC with 32GB SSD : plays everything

2. Server (NAS) for storing all your media : place in separate room, away from TV for quietness
Dont forget an multiremote with an high Wife Acceptance Factor that binds your technologic masterpiece togheter
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
OK, OK I get it.

Jeez, you folks won't be happy till I have an ION/SSD in every room running off a massive Unraid server Wink

I guess I will switch out the I3 and board in my HTPC with an Atom/Ion combo. I have been planning to upgrade the Intel X25-V SSD in my laptop anyway so I will be able to move that over to the HTPC. Then I will use the I3 and board for my server build (overkill, I know, but it's what I have). I'm stubborn so I will give WHS a shot. Without stopgaps I don't learn nearly as much.

Also going to stick with W7. Does anybody have a specific board/CPU recommendation for my use. Am I going to experience much of a performance drop going to this setup? Is there much gain from an Atom 510 over a 330 . . . 230? Looking at the ZOTAC NM10-A-E-ION,ASRock A330ION and ASUS AT3IONT-I. Is the card that comes with the Zotac NM10 low profile? All suggestions are welcome, I am going to try and put most of this off until black friday. I do, however, often get impatient.

Are there any faults in my logic here?

Thanks for your help

Z
HTPC- Windows 7 64 Pro running XBMC Dharma Margro PVR Build, Intel I3 550, MSI H55M-ED55, 4 Gigs Ram, Asus EN GT430, Intel X25V, Antec MicroFusion Remote Case, HD Homerun Dual Tuner
Server- Unraid, 7TB storage, Intel I3 530, ASUS P7H55-M LE, 4 Gigs Ram, CoolerMaster CM690 Case
A/V- Sony 40Z5100, Sony HT-SS360
I use a HP MediaSmart Server. They may be overkill for htpc purposes, but you can get earlier models dirt cheap if you look around enough and they are very close to being 'plug and play'.

I would also caution against throwing out your i3 in favor of an ion board for your htpc on Windows 7. Under linux they work perfectly, but I used an ion board (ASUS AT3IONT-I Deluxe) running my htpc in conjunction with windows 7, and had enough little issues here and there that it ticked me off enough to sell off my ion board and get an i3.
knaps Wrote:I would also caution against throwing out your i3 in favor of an ion board for your htpc on Windows 7.

+1

I recently rebuilt my HTPC based on the i3 530 an was very well impressed. Is running so cool and quiet even when playing very high bw VC1 streams that my quad core xeon mac pro can't handle very well. Apart from needing a slightly larger case, I see no reason for favouring the ion board against the i3.

And you are right about the i3 being an overkill for the unRAID server. Even a low power, single core celeron can handle the server flawlessly.
I currently use the Asus AT3ION motherboard, and everything worked out of the box with XBMC-Live including proper sound, hdmi and even the remote. I switched to a harmony remote yesterday and that also works flawlessly.

My setup is

Server running W7 + FlexRaid -> Gigabit Router -> ION Front-End

Works perfect. Also, I highly recommend a harmony remote.
fattyl Wrote:I currently use the Asus AT3ION motherboard, and everything worked out of the box with XBMC-Live including proper sound, hdmi and even the remote. I switched to a harmony remote yesterday and that also works flawlessly.

My setup is

Server running W7 + FlexRaid -> Gigabit Router -> ION Front-End

Works perfect. Also, I highly recommend a harmony remote.

Which harmony model do you use? Thinking of getting one soon and so I'm curious.
zemosabe Wrote:OK, OK I get it.

Jeez, you folks won't be happy till I have an ION/SSD in every room running off a massive Unraid server Wink

I guess I will switch out the I3 and board in my HTPC with an Atom/Ion combo. I have been planning to upgrade the Intel X25-V SSD in my laptop anyway so I will be able to move that over to the HTPC. Then I will use the I3 and board for my server build (overkill, I know, but it's what I have). I'm stubborn so I will give WHS a shot. Without stopgaps I don't learn nearly as much.

Also going to stick with W7. Does anybody have a specific board/CPU recommendation for my use. Am I going to experience much of a performance drop going to this setup? Is there much gain from an Atom 510 over a 330 . . . 230? Looking at the ZOTAC NM10-A-E-ION,ASRock A330ION and ASUS AT3IONT-I. Is the card that comes with the Zotac NM10 low profile? All suggestions are welcome, I am going to try and put most of this off until black friday. I do, however, often get impatient.

Are there any faults in my logic here?

Thanks for your help

Z

If you don't like a noisy HTPC and you're OK with Atom/ION combo, I'd highly recommend the silent fanless Shuttle XS35GT. Unless you can't do without Windows then you're much better off with the snappier Linux XBMC Live install. From POST screen, boots in 15 seconds and UI is fast and responsive.
froggit Wrote:Which harmony model do you use? Thinking of getting one soon and so I'm curious.

Harmony 700, really easy to get working, I believe you need an RC6 IR receiver to have it working with minimal setup.
I have the 600. Any Harmony works with the right receiver. Just be sure to get one that supports as many devices as you have (for example my 600 only supports 5 devices so it might find its way into the bedroom in the near future).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Benefits of building a server vs rebuilding HTPC?0