Cheap MCE that sends keystroke in Dharma volume keys problem
Smile 
Hi, i'm a newbie. Maybe someone ever have the same problem with me. I have a cheap MCE remote that sends keystrokes and HID codes. Before i moved to dharma i was using custom build camelot found in http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/ and it's works well Smile,
where the volume keys could control xbmc volume up, down, mute without affecting windows master volume ( this wouldn't happend with official camelot build ), well in dharma this cannot works like i expected in that custom camelot build Sad, it only affect on master volume. For more information, i've succesfully using this remote by modifying keyboard.xml, and the volume keys sends HID code WM_APPCOMMAND and keyboard stroke volume_up, volume_down, mute in showkeys. Perhaps there is any solution for this in dharma. Thanks
XBMC ignores the APPCOMMAND volume messages. The messages should get passed on to Windows and change the Windows volume settings.

I did at one point modify XBMC so it did handle the volume messages, and I promptly got shouted at by people complaining that they wanted them to change the Windows volume, so I had to back out the change.

JR
Thumbs Up 
Thanks for the answer, well if that's the reason so I could understand, the cons is that we cannot see the volume osd and the volume_up, volume_down and mute become unusable in my keyboard.xml setting,but maybe if xbmc have a setting to enable and disable the option to receive the APPCOMMAND wouldn't that a good thing? Because i guess people have their own taste? And maybe if we could make XBMC to receive the <i>alt+F4</i> keystroke, because my remote have it's power button to send that keystroke ( usually it will close the XBMC just like normal windows apps ), sorry for having much request. Wink
Yes this is an issue for me too. The problem I have is that I send my analog over spdif optical along with the digital, so the winxp master volume does not work. I have to change the waveout in the mixer to control analog volume.

With dharma I now have absolutely no volume control with my remote control.
well, hopes this will get attention soon, I felt a bit unconfortable when changing my volume without seeing any OSD, and having windows master volume changed, not the xbmc volume, I hope there will any option for me or another solution.
XBMC does process alt-F4. If you press alt-F4 on the keyboard XBMC will close just like any other app. However no remote that I know of sends alt-F4 when you press the power button, though you can configure the MS remote this way. Actually I have configured my own MS remote to send alt-F4 for the power button :-)

I might look into providing a setting for XBMC to process the APPCOMMAND volume messages. In the next version I may (subject to the approval of the more experienced developers) radically overhaul the keyboard handling and changing the APPCOMMAND handling would be part of this. But I should say that I'm not a fan of the design philosophy that deals with every design choice by adding another option. The advancedsettings.xml settings list is already the size of a telephone directory.

In the mean time, you may find you can stop Windows converting multimedia keypresses to APPCOMMANDS by fiddling with the registry as described in http://ashish.vashisht.net/2008/01/confi...-keys.html. Alternatively you might consider getting a proper Microsoft remote or one of the full compatibles as it's usually only the cheap nasty remotes that send APPCOMMAND messages.

JR
Are we sure that the remote is sending an appcommand keystroke? I'm not completely sure that my remote is sending one but may be wrong. Using showkey I get a keycode saying vk_volume_up/down/mute. It's as if the volume command is being passed to the OS. keypad +/- still works as always

Any documentation on specifically what volume commands dharma will process so that we can remap our remotes if possible? I think I may be able to change my volume control to send a keystroke. If I remap to (+/-), then none of my other applications will work, so finding a common command will make integrating dharma much easier

The offical version of xbmc supports this current remote function. If the design change is permanent, then the next official release should list what specific functions are/are not supported. Is there any documentation on what change has occurred in dharma so as to stop supporting this keystroke and what is currently supported

Info would be much appropriated.

Thanks
-Rob
If you can remap the remote then the simplest solution is to use the standard Microsoft Media Center keyboard shortcuts of:

F10 volume up
F9 volume down
F8 mute

Dharma supports all the MCE shortcuts.

JR
well, my remote does send alt+f4 keystroke for the power button, my remote is really cheap one maybe that I can found in my country, because it's detected as HID Keyboard, so I guess the key maps programmed inside the remote, and I guess there will be no key mapping stored in the registry or the driver ( imagine it's just like a wireless infrared keyboard but with special button mapping Smile ), well, for future better Dharma compatibility I hope it's not too complex if the developer willing to put on the next release. But I also downloaded the SVN release, hopes I could build my own custom for this purpose.
Well actually I found another new and better remote ( I guess ) in my country which I guess having much better compatibility ( not just a HID keyboard ), but it's costs twice than mine, and throwing away my new cheap remote is not a good idea isn't Smile
I wasn't able to remap as my remote shows up as a generic HID device. I was able to modify my autohotkey script to send the F8-10 commands. This works great thanks!
I haven't checked recently, is there any solution yet?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheap MCE that sends keystroke in Dharma volume keys problem0