Ideal Zotac ZBOX setup?
After hours of reading threads and reviews, and a few days of testing various bits of software using a very under-powered PC, I've decided I want to go with a ZBOX setup - mainly for it's form factor and outputs. My requirements are:
IR Interface (No RF - needs to work with existing Pronto Universal IR remote)
Nearly silent
Perfect playback of any video source I can throw at it
Running Either XBMC or Boxbee - maybe both (somewhat undecided there yet)
Likely running Win 7 unless someone tells me otherwise (It's what I'm comfortable with, and I already own the licenses for it)
DVI output
Coax Digital output

Based on that, here's my planned hardware list (Newegg unless noted):
Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 4GB (2 x 2GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model
$74.99 - Model #:996643 / Item #:N82E16820226019

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$139.99 - Model #:OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G / Item #:N82E16820227550

Zotac ZBOX ZBOXHD-ND22-U Intel dual core CULV SU2300 NVIDIA ION graphics processor 2 x 204Pin Black / Silver Mini / Booksize ...
$269.99 - Model #:ZBOXHD-ND22-U / Item #:N82E16856173012

AVS Gear HA-IR01SV Infrared Certified MCE VISTA Remote Control
$21.23 - Model #:HA-IR01SV / Item #:N82E16880121001

Optical S/PIDF to Coax converter
$20 - http://www.svideo.com/toslinkcoax1.html

Total: $526.20

Money isn't a major factor for me, but usability is - hence the little extra in memory, storage, and processor. Just hoping to give me extra breathing room should I need it at some point, and going bare-minimum didn't shave *that* much off the price.

I'm a little unsure about the remote control aspect... is the above sufficient, or am I going to find myself needing some sort of remote keyboard/mouse? Do I need extra software to get the IR interface going?

I plan to initially have all content shared over Samba, but will likely move to an unraid setup sometime in the future. I assume Samba won't give me any real issues?
Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?
Not sure what your timelines are for this project, but have you considered the newer: Zotac HD-ID40 mode?

It is a faster processor than the one you mention, so theoretically should be more capable...

The only drawback is they probably wont be available at retailers until end of November / beginning of December.
Ruski Wrote:Not sure what your timelines are for this project, but have you considered the newer: Zotac HD-ID40 mode?

It is a faster processor than the one you mention, so theoretically should be more capable...

The only drawback is they probably wont be available at retailers until end of November / beginning of December.

I was hoping to order today - I'm the impatient type. I hadn't seen the HD-ID40 at all though - thanks for pointing me to it. I don't think I'd want to wait though... maybe if it came with USB 3.0 ports or something, but no such luck there.

Can you confirm that I'll be better off with the HD-ND22 over the HD-ID11? In all of my searches on this board, I can't find anyone mentioning the ND22 at all. I'm basing my current plan on a review I read on Maximum PC.
Personally I'm running the HD-ID11 but I suspect the HD-ND22 runs about the same. I'm using the same OCZ 60GB SSD and only 2GB ram.

Everything works great for me, handles my 1080p mkv's with no problems.

I've been running the Dharma beta releases from both xbmcfreak and openelec.tv. For me the openelec.tv install was easier, faster, and worked better out of the box. It also boots a lot faster and I can usually get real time answers to questions from folks on the openelec.tv chat room if I have any challenges.

The one issue I haven't been able to nail down yet is getting S3 suspend to work properly. This hasn't been a priority for me given my expectation that we're still in beta phase and I know others are working on it. I also haven't tested out the various HDMI sound issues at all since I don't use HDMI sound from my box. (I do hdmi video to the tv, optical audio to the amp.)

Only other comment I'd add is that if every 3 weeks or so somebody puts the ND22 or ID11 on sale for under $200 after rebates. Seems like a regular discount item at Newegg and Fry's. But if you're not that price sensitive then not an issue.
HTPC4Me Wrote:AVS Gear HA-IR01SV Infrared Certified MCE VISTA Remote Control
$21.23 - Model #:HA-IR01SV / Item #:N82E16880121001

This is the only thing in the build I REALLY don't like. If you plan to use another Universal remote just get an IR receiver (as in a MUCH BETTER IR receiver).

The best is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Infrared-Receiv...535&sr=8-1

Also on ebay:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=...Categories

poofyhairguy Wrote:This is the only thing in the build I REALLY don't like. If you plan to use another Universal remote just get an IR receiver (as in a MUCH BETTER IR receiver).

The best is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Infrared-Receiv...535&sr=8-1

Also on ebay:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=...Categories
Looking at what you found, I'd 100% agree - but in my case I don't think it should matter. I'll be using an IR repeater system with an emitter taped to the receiver anyway, so I'm thinking any old receiver will do. And for the difference in price, it's always nice to have a backup remote. If that's your only complaint, I think I'll be in good shape.

Any feedback on video streaming over a samba share? 1080i and DVD iso's would be my main concern there, and I previously used a Divco TViX that always had samba issues (but worked flawlessly over NFS) - They claimed it was the difference in protocol overhead.
HTPC4Me Wrote:Looking at what you found, I'd 100% agree - but in my case I don't think it should matter. I'll be using an IR repeater system with an emitter taped to the receiver anyway, so I'm thinking any old receiver will do. And for the difference in price, it's always nice to have a backup remote. If that's your only complaint, I think I'll be in good shape.

Don't be so quick to blow me off. IR receivers aren't build alike. The difference between a crappy one and a nice one is lag lag lag. Heck, if I was using an IR blaster I would want the absolute best receiver possible as those add lag in and of themselves.

Quote:Any feedback on video streaming over a samba share? 1080i and DVD iso's would be my main concern there, and I previously used a Divco TViX that always had samba issues (but worked flawlessly over NFS) - They claimed it was the difference in protocol overhead.

None what-so-ever. Samba is always enough for HTPC needs. I have played my 42GB Avatar rip over Samba flawlessly (even with Linux and OSX clients!). If your network can do it, Samba can.

I'll second that HP IR blaster or grab the Microsoft one in my Sig they are virtually the same thing just different color and shape.

-=Jason=-

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ideal Zotac ZBOX setup?0