VeuBox (by CaptiveWorks Inc.) high definition media center box preinstalled with XBMC
I read about this new XBMC bundled hardware. It seems that it's about $250. Any ideas on this? Look pretty good with preconfigured hardware, wireless adapater, hdmi, etc...

They seem to have other apps like Hulu, Youtuble leanback, and some other ones too.

Here is the link http://www.veubox.com
Its just a regular PC - nothing special about it. No reason it shouldn't work.
Morality question for those pondering buying from them: Do they donate back?
darkscout Wrote:Morality question for those pondering buying from them: Do they donate back?

Good question... Will try to contact them. There was a contact link on the press release.
I would presume not, as I doubt they bothered to factor a donation into their profit margins and probably didn't bother to notify the developers that they would be using the software.
Silverstone Case with Windows 7 HTPC(considering Ubuntu) with Biostar TA790GX A3+ w/ Quad-core Phenom 2 processor, 8GB DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaw RAM, Zotac nvidia gt430 gpu w/hdmi 1.4a, Pioneer BD-S02 Bluray Combo drive, Mygica HD Thriller ATSC/NTSC Clear QAM Hybrid PCI PVR card, USB-UIRT, Onkyo HT-S9300THX 7.1 System, 50" Panasonic Viera 3DTV (TC-P50GT25), Verizon Fios with Motorola HD DVR, XBOX 360 w/ Kinect, Panasonic DMP-BDT100 FullHD 3D Bluray Player, X10 NStinct Remote
modernninja Wrote:I would presume not, as I doubt they bothered to factor a donation into their profit margins and probably didn't bother to notify the developers that they would be using the software.

Lets be clear now, they are not required to do either. Regardless of if you do not agree with it, they are neither required to donate or notify anyone it is being used - all completely acceptable as far as the GPL goes.
Here is what I got back:

Thanks for your interest. We are in touch with the XBMC team and are working on ways to give back to the community. We hope that we will have an announcement in the near future.
only thing I would really expect from the companies is to share their experiences customizing and building the pre-installed live images AND provide these to the XBMC communities. least they could do...
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
hereandthere Wrote:Good question... Will try to contact them. There was a contact link on the press release.

And it might be better if the team does the contacting Smile but we cannot ofcourse stop you Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
prae5 Wrote:Lets be clear now, they are not required to do either. Regardless of if you do not agree with it, they are neither required to donate or notify anyone it is being used - all completely acceptable as far as the GPL goes.

really? maybe I should start selling kits with xbmc preinstalled...at least I'd fork over some cash to the xbmc team to make sure that the item that is making me my profits is properly given it's due...I'd of course, just write it off on my taxes as research and development Wink
Silverstone Case with Windows 7 HTPC(considering Ubuntu) with Biostar TA790GX A3+ w/ Quad-core Phenom 2 processor, 8GB DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaw RAM, Zotac nvidia gt430 gpu w/hdmi 1.4a, Pioneer BD-S02 Bluray Combo drive, Mygica HD Thriller ATSC/NTSC Clear QAM Hybrid PCI PVR card, USB-UIRT, Onkyo HT-S9300THX 7.1 System, 50" Panasonic Viera 3DTV (TC-P50GT25), Verizon Fios with Motorola HD DVR, XBOX 360 w/ Kinect, Panasonic DMP-BDT100 FullHD 3D Bluray Player, X10 NStinct Remote
modernninja Wrote:really? maybe I should start selling kits with xbmc preinstalled...at least I'd fork over some cash to the xbmc team to make sure that the item that is making me my profits is properly given it's due...I'd of course, just write it off on my taxes as research and development Wink

Why go through that much work. Just do what the guy in the UK is doing. Burn LiveCD to a disk and sell it on eBay.
Seems like an interesting deal. Several things concern me. First no way a Sempron 140 will do 1080p. In fact it states, "Requires optional CrystalHD decoder" when talking about hi-def. Which means for high def you're looking at more then the $250 list price. 1 gig of ram seems pushing it(seems 2 gig is the normal acceptable for XBMC) so thats more $$$$. I don't see anywhere that it lists the HDD size. Does it have one? Is it running off a usb stick/memory card? Is there an option to add an internal hdd? If so, 2.5 or 3.5? Does it have a pci-e slot? Looks like it might have one with a riser card being used but is occupied with component/s-video output graphic card. Is that removable? Could I put a gt220 in there instead?

I didnt see anywhere on the pre-order page to configure it with different options. So who knows how much the high-def capable version really will be. It looks interesting but I need some more answers!!
a sempron 140 with an option CrystalHD Decoder? I think any ION combo would be a better choice than this...
I can't find the info about the crystal hd add-on for hi-def. Where did you see that? I think 1GB would be sufficient on Linux. If it was Windows, I would think you need more though.
PatrickVogeli Wrote:a sempron 140 with an option CrystalHD Decoder? I think any ION combo would be a better choice than this...

Can you get Component output from ION? This box seems to offer that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VeuBox (by CaptiveWorks Inc.) high definition media center box preinstalled with XBMC0