Acer Revo - Anyone managed fan speed control?
I see that people are able to control the fan in Windows, but can't find any working examples of someone doing the same under Linux.

I followed a guide using lm-sensors but in the end it couldn't find any fans it could control.

So has anyone managed to do this?
Found this after a quick google:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/in...66328.html
Actually, I have noticed this too, but it's really never been a big problem for me (i.e. it never gets too loud). What I notice is that the fan comes on when you first boot up the machine, and it quickly slows down until it's almost silent. After a while of being on though, it gets faster and just never slows down. I guess I always assumed it was hot enough inside that the fan was just staying on.

Are you guys noticing the same, or are you saying that the fan is on at the same speed (i.e. volume) from the minute you start the machine up?
I have the speed controlled in linux on my acer revo r3610. Normal its running around 3800 rpm and its pretty loud. You need to use the lm-sensors and find the newest sensors-detect file on the homepage (http://www.lm-sensors.org/browser/lm-sen...ors-detect). I just replaced this with the one in /usr/sbin/sensors-detect.

You have to add "acpi_enforce_resources=lax" to your boot grub settings else it wont work.

After that do a reboot and than do "sudo sensors-detect". Just say yes to all and after that you maybe able to see all the sensors and fan speed with the command "sensors". Else do a reboot and try again.

If it can find a fan speed in sensors it works and you can do a sudo pwmconfig to make a fan speed table.

My sensors look like this:

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +71.0°C (crit = +127.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +56.0°C (crit = +90.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0001
Core 1: +58.0°C (crit = +90.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0002
Core 2: +56.0°C (crit = +90.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0003
Core 3: +58.0°C (crit = +90.0°C)

it8720-isa-0a10
in0: +1.17 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in1: +1.81 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in2: +2.51 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in3: +0.99 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in4: +2.16 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in5: +2.16 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in6: +2.16 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in7: +2.18 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
Vbat: +4.08 V
fan1: 2667 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
temp1: +66.0°C (low = -1.0°C, high = +127.0°C) sensor = thermal diode
temp2: +68.0°C (low = -1.0°C, high = +127.0°C) sensor = thermistor
temp3: -128.0°C (low = -1.0°C, high = +127.0°C) sensor = disabled
cpu0_vid: +0.000 V

NOTE: Maybe you need coretemp.something file to detect the coretemp tempetures. I ended up using xbmcfreaks versions because he has compiled this file in his kernel thing. But i dont think you need it just use the temp1 and temp2 instead.
You're a star Caleb, I was 99% sure I was going to have to mod the fan until I read that.

Will give it a go tonight, thanks again.
Just to say, I had real fan speed issues on my Revo. It turned out the thermal paste hadn't been applied properly.

Re-application and now my fan stays really low anyway. Before then it kicked in loud all the time and was becoming a real pain.
davecurtains Wrote:Just to say, I had real fan speed issues on my Revo. It turned out the thermal paste hadn't been applied properly.

Re-application and now my fan stays really low anyway. Before then it kicked in loud all the time and was becoming a real pain.

I might re-apply some fresh paste on there, but to be honest if my temperatures are tolerable I just want to manage the fan so that it stays at inaudible levels.

It's ok when it turns but after awhile it becomes audible, not really loud, but annoying. Seems to ramp up the rpm a little when navigating the menus.
z0mbi3 Wrote:I might re-apply some fresh paste on there, but to be honest if my temperatures are tolerable I just want to manage the fan so that it stays at inaudible levels.

It's ok when it turns but after awhile it becomes audible, not really loud, but annoying. Seems to ramp up the rpm a little when navigating the menus.

I sleep in the same room where my acer is so i wanted it as quiet as possible. Bought a new TV-table with some big rooms for all my electric stuff. So now my acer is inside a closed room only opened on the back while its standing on 5 cm of foam to remove vibrations. This way i can say its is 99% silient.

So now my acer is running xbmc, ventrilo, rtorrent with rutorrent webinterface and ftp 24/7. Highest tempereture i have seen is 72 degrees but when running windows it is that the same tempetures.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer Revo - Anyone managed fan speed control?0