Interlaced output
Hi,
I am using Dharma beta 4 on XBMC-Live platform.
NVidia 8600GT video card with 260.19.12 latest drivers.
All works nicely. Keep going in this fantastic work!Nod

Now the problem is that I am trying to set the resolution of XBMC to 480i, 576i and 1080i without success.

(The reason of that is that I want to use my external scaler to do the interlacing of the ripped DVDs.)

I have so far created several interlaced modelines in xorg.conf, but haven't been able to activate them properly, so...

before starting tweaking with xorg.conf and sending tons of log files Shocked, let me ask:
1. Does xbmc-live (with nVidia graphics) support interlaced output?
2. If so, does it support these modes: 480i, 576i and 1080i?
3. How do you select 60p or 60i from the user's settings interface (AFAI can see you can't select an interlaced mode inside a resolution mode)?

thanks
On linux, there's no way for XBMC to know if a resolution is progressive or interlaced, as far as I know.
bobo1on1 Wrote:On linux, there's no way for XBMC to know if a resolution is progressive or interlaced, as far as I know.

Hi. So would you suggest deinterlacing all the material beforehand then?

I am working through some 1080i x264 and 1080i mpeg2 media...the transcoded 1080i blurays stutter like a madman whether deinterlaced or not.

The original 1080i bluray m2ts doesn't stutter, but I have very noticeable interlaced 'banding'.

My HD camcorder 1080i mpeg2 don't stutter either, but also have banding.

--------------------

Would mediainfo + debug logs help for any of this -OR- are there any known workarounds for x264 interlaced material?

Thanks
During playback, set the deinterlacer to "bob", that'll get rid of the combing artifacts.
OK, thank you. I wasn't aware there was a deinterlacing filter option...I'll look into it.

How about the 'stuttering' I see on the transcoded 1080i blurays? Shall I provide some more info, logs or is this a known issue?

PS: awesome piece of software you guys have created; keep up the good work.
It would help if you could provide a sample.
I'll try to provide that this evening.
bobo1on1 Wrote:On linux, there's no way for XBMC to know if a resolution is progressive or interlaced, as far as I know.

Thanks for your reply.
I understand your statement.
But, if I have two modelines 1920x1080@60p and 1920x1080@60i how can I activate one or another in XBMC?
In the shell I would use xrandr and the modeline name. But the user interface has only resolution and rate...
Maybe an advancedsettings entry?

And also, does XBMC support interlaced output of any kind (such as 480i or 576i)?

Thanks
Well xorg doesn't allow multiple modes with the same resolution and refreshrate.
Here's the sample:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9l85tz002uu1skc

Running:
Dharma Beta 3, Ubuntu minimal 10.04 64-bit, Atom 330, 4 GB RAM, 1GB GT 240, Nvidia 260.19.12.

1080p24 blurays transcoded to x264 play flawlessly....this is with the original DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD stream intact as well.

Problem:
1080i bluray rips transcoded to x264 via handbrake 0.94 [currentl svn3678] play like stink with lots of 'stuttering'. The original *.m2ts 1080i bluray doesn't stutter but just looks interlaced obviously.

Video, Playback Settings:
Render Method = Auto
Allow VDPAU = checked
Adjust Refresh Rate = checked
Sync playback = checked
A/V Sync Method = Audio clock

VLC on the PC didn't seem to 'stutter' so to speak like XBMC does...it is still interlaced of course...didnt apply that filter in VLC either. Turning deinterlace = BOB on in XBMC didnt seem to affect stuttering.

Thanks for your time
bobo1on1 Wrote:Well xorg doesn't allow multiple modes with the same resolution and refreshrate.

I understand.
But can XBMC on HDMI (nVidia 8600GT) run at 576i or 480i?
It can, but it can't display interlaced content correctly to let your tv do the deinterlacing.
I checked the sample, it seems somehow the audio timestamps get messed up.
bobo1on1 Wrote:It can, but it can't display interlaced content correctly to let your tv do the deinterlacing.

Thanks for your reply.
Any particular reason for that? I mean, is it my video card that does not support it, or is it a X11 limitation, or it's the XBMC renderer, or what?
And, what do you mean with "but it can't display interlaced content correctly to let your tv do the deinterlacing"?

Please explain me better this concept, as I would like to understand the technical limitation.

If I am not wrong, my Popcorn hour can output @ 576i and let the scaler do the interlacing very well and AFAIK, it is based on linux.
One of the problems is that the weave deinterlacer doesn't double the fps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Interlaced output0