Best streaming solution for long distance streaming?
Question 
I've just upgraded my internet connection to a 300 Megabit connection and want to allow my family to access my media library from the UK (I'm in Japan) via XBMC on the UK side.

The trouble is, that while my upload bandwidth is crazy good, any FTP connections are limited to around 90K per second if connecting via the UK. I put this down to the protocol being request/response and the round trip overhead of the request. I have confirmed upload speed of at least 40 megabits (8MB per second) to local clients so I am sure its a protocol issue.

Is there a solution to this problem in the set of streaming protocols that XBMC supports? Has anyone else had problems using the FTP protocol for streaming over large distances - if so, what was your solution?

T. Eek
I'd use a VPN..
I doubt their streaming limitation is simply overhead. FTP has minimal...

It's probably because they only allow certain bandwidth over outside the country remote connections. I had a friend who was in Singapore for a while with huge bandwidth, but after about a gig to the US it would drop to almost nothing, which made his mlb.tv subscription less useful.

You can try a VPN or even try SSHFS (basically mounting an SCP drive). You might get lucky and find one that their system doesn't recognise, but good luck.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best streaming solution for long distance streaming?0