Live - how do I connect a windows drive
Hi just installed rc2 live USB but for the life of me can't find out how to add source to my windows hd

Is it even possible? If not what is the point of USB live. Is it for connecting with network shares!? Thanks in advance?
Broads Wrote:Hi just installed rc2 live USB but for the life of me can't find out how to add source to my windows hd

Is it even possible? If not what is the point of USB live. Is it for connecting with network shares!? Thanks in advance?

have you mounted the drive?

Code:
sudo mkdir /media/[b]ntfs-drive[/b]

Code:
sudo fdisk -l
(look for your ntfs drive and replace sdaX below)

Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

Code:
#NTFS Drive
/dev/[b]sdaX[/b]         /media/[b]ntfs-drive[/b] ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

then you can add below as source
Code:
/media/[b]ntfs-drive[/b]
You can also add the source by simply typing in smb://ip.add.ress/<sharename> where the ip address is the ip of your windows box, and sharename is the share that you want to connect to.

After you enter all the information, it will ask you for a username and password and you can chose to remember the password for posterity sake.
svenh Wrote:You can also add the source by simply typing in smb://ip.add.ress/<sharename> where the ip address is the ip of your windows box, and sharename is the share that you want to connect to.

After you enter all the information, it will ask you for a username and password and you can chose to remember the password for posterity sake.

Still none the wiser I'm afraid where do I enter this? The USB boots direct to xbmc no cmd shell. To clarify this USB stick is put into my windows pc so I just need to see the disks?
m3g4tr0n Wrote:have you mounted the drive?

Code:
sudo mkdir /media/[b]ntfs-drive[/b]

Code:
sudo fdisk -l
(look for your ntfs drive and replace sdaX below)

Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

Code:
#NTFS Drive
/dev/[b]sdaX[/b]         /media/[b]ntfs-drive[/b] ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

then you can add below as source
Code:
/media/[b]ntfs-drive[/b]

Hi, I would like to try this but how do I go about getting to a shell to enter this? remember I am running from the usb? Thanks
In XBMXLive press 'CTRL+Alt+F2" to get to the command line, enter the password (usually xbmc) then type the commands above.

Once you've mounted the drive, press CTRL+ALT+F7 to return to XBMC.

This will need to be redone everytime you reboot unless you load the information to FSTAB.
DejaVu77 Wrote:In XBMXLive press 'CTRL+Alt+F2" to get to the command line, enter the password (usually xbmc) then type the commands above.

Once you've mounted the drive, press CTRL+ALT+F7 to return to XBMC.

This will need to be redone everytime you reboot unless you load the information to FSTAB.

That sounds like it will take longer than booting to vista then :p No
In XBMC, go to Videos. Click Add Source. In the add source dialog click Browse. One of the locations is Windows Network/SMB; click it. Click on your workgroup (mshome, etc) next click on your computer name. Locate the shared folder that you want.
alexpigment Wrote:In XBMC, go to Videos. Click Add Source. In the add source dialog click Browse. One of the locations is Windows Network/SMB; click it. Click on your workgroup (mshome, etc) next click on your computer name. Locate the shared folder that you want.

He's not connecting a Windows share. Just a Windows formatted NTFS Drive through USB.

On the other hand, I AM connecting Windows Share's and cannot for the life of me get XBMC through the security on Windows 7. All Windows laptops get to the shares no problem, without the need for Passwords. XBMC always prompts... So - WTF?!
Thanks for the commands and how to get to enter them. I have now done this and can see the item In the media folder. However I do t see any files, I guess something is not quite right in the configuration of it?? Further help would be appreciated. Ps also now installed to hd. But still no good.
Apparently sudo mount -a Added to the end of the previous instruction seals the deal!

Just found out however I have no sound and just flashing colors for movies, I have ati radeon if any one knows about that issue?

Thanks
No sound is usually a muted device in Alsamixer.
Flashing colours for movies sounds like it could be a ropey GPU or no graphic acceleration enabled...?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live - how do I connect a windows drive0