Slow display of movie posters and fanart
I've got a HP Slimline box suffering a little when it comes to displaying movie posters and fanart. There's some delay issues in displaying and no memory when I move away from displayed items and then return. Funnily enough in file view when the folder icons are replaced with tiny tiny icons they all appear instantaneously. The movie collection is getting a little big - almost 1000 movies. Posters are under 50kb and fanart is about 700kb but can be a lot less.

The box contains a AMD Sempron 3600+ chip, 1Gb DDR2 and a HD3450 ATI card. I don't know where the problem is occurring. I've seen threads in the linux section say that 1Gb is fine but on windows that might be a different matter. Ideally I would like to either increase the ram if that would help and stick with windows as the machine is used for svn and sql server but I can move those off to another machine. But if the CPU isn't up to much then there's little point of sticking with it and I should find another machine to run XBMC on. The video below was shot with no other apps running aside from a malware & anti-virus software (avast) running on Win XP Pro 32. I might be able to swap the CPU but I'm a little worried that I'll be stretching the power supply which is 160W. Full spec here of machine here. It's an AM2 board and will take a AMD Phenom II Quad-Core apparently.

a little video of my experience - you'll see the posters slowly load in for each section and then when i scroll away and return they are reload again with no performance increase.

TIA for any wisdom on offer.
Is your cpu maxed out? Can you enable debug mode in settings? The CPU will show up as an overlay when you navigate the menus.

If it is always running around 100% then there are some things to try. You could disable vsync in the settings as it will cause high cpu usage. I like to disable RSS feeds as they take up alot of cpu.
Yup, pretty maxed out. I suppose that answers that then. I'll try changing the settings you suggested & otherwise buy a new cpu. Ta very much.
As your using an ati card you can try this as your CPU is maxed out but it might just might be a case your cpu isn't good enough

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=481453&postcount=9

If your cpu isn't good enough you could try using dds fanart so your GPU does the work or have xbmc cache your fanart at 720p
Ah that would be very handy to try. Thanks X.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow display of movie posters and fanart0