Another deal on SSD
Just saw this deal in my e-mail. OCZ 32 gb for $49.95 after instant savings and $20 rebate. Not bad

http://www.microcenter.com/single_produc...S+20101210
Good find, good HTPC SSD.

poofyhairguy Wrote:Good find, good HTPC SSD.

I had ordered the vertex 2 from reading another post that you had recommended to someone. Just installed it this week and love it in my Revo 3610. So I'm thinking you are the one to ask this as I follow your posts and you seem to really know your hardware and keep up with the technology, and you seem to really enjoy helping people with these sort of things. Anyway I have a computer that I had built in the living room that has vista on it. If I purchased this ssd would I need to upgrade to windows 7 to see the real benefits? I know I have heard you talk about trim support before. Is that something that is needed for the ssd? I already have a traditional sata 500 gb hard drive in there. I would just add this and put the operating system on it. What do you think? Thanks in advance, Jim
EarnheadJ Wrote:Anyway I have a computer that I had built in the living room that has vista on it. If I purchased this ssd would I need to upgrade to windows 7 to see the real benefits? I know I have heard you talk about trim support before. Is that something that is needed for the ssd? I already have a traditional sata 500 gb hard drive in there. I would just add this and put the operating system on it. What do you think? Thanks in advance, Jim

In pretty much any system adding a SSD will give you real benefits. Ever since about 2005 the computers that have been made that are I/O bound, and always a SSD will feel faster than a hard drive.

TRIM is nice, but not needed. OSX lacks TRIM, yet Apple ships SSD-laden Macs everyday.

What TRIM does it keep the SSD's performance about 90% of what it was brand new. Without TRIM you get to around 70-80% of first day performance after a couple of months. But when ANY SSD has seek speeds that are MAGNITUDES faster than rotational drives, even a "degraded" SSD makes HDs look like snails.

The trick for getting THE RIGHT SSD, which basically means an OCZ SSD! OCZ has the best garbage collection of any drives (kinda like ghetto TRIM).

In fact, I think OCZ SSDs have a TRIM tool to force a custom TRIM on Vista:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1408940

That is exactly what you need. Throw it in, throw the OS on it and enjoy...

poofyhairguy Wrote:In pretty much any system adding a SSD will give you real benefits. Ever since about 2005 the computers that have been made that are I/O bound, and always a SSD will feel faster than a hard drive.

TRIM is nice, but not needed. OSX lacks TRIM, yet Apple ships SSD-laden Macs everyday.

What TRIM does it keep the SSD's performance about 90% of what it was brand new. Without TRIM you get to around 70-80% of first day performance after a couple of months. But when ANY SSD has seek speeds that are MAGNITUDES faster than rotational drives, even a "degraded" SSD makes HDs look like snails.

The trick for getting THE RIGHT SSD, which basically means an OCZ SSD! OCZ has the best garbage collection of any drives (kinda like ghetto TRIM).

In fact, I think OCZ SSDs have a TRIM tool to force a custom TRIM on Vista:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1408940

That is exactly what you need. Throw it in, throw the OS on it and enjoy...

Thanks for the info and the link. Another question about trim, since my Revo is windows 7 64, is trim automatically enabled when I installed the ssd? Or do I have to use some settings to enable it. Thanks again
With Linux or Windows 7 it is automatic. Just enjoy!

poofyhairguy Wrote:With Linux or Windows 7 it is automatic. Just enjoy!

Big Grin Great

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Another deal on SSD0