Mac Mini - Crystal HD - BD format and video library ?
Hi there,

I am using an core duo mac mini with the intel GMA onboard graphics for DVDs currently and all works fine.

Now I think about upgrading with the Crystal HD to add Blue Rays support what leads to a few questions.

1) What formats does XBMC support for 1080p content ? So how do I need to store/convert the blue rays ?
2) Is there any way to have the same nice library display there is for DVDs also for BlueRays ?

So basically do the same as currently done for DVDs with BlueRays.

Thanks in advance for any help.
ultra
Do you want full bluray disk experiance like menu's and or is just the movie enough for you?
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
Full experience with menu's would be great and the final target.

If not the only the movie will also do as a first step.
XBMC can play almost any fileformat. The hardware is the main problem.

1: The Mac mini on its own is not fast enough to play any scene mkv or bluray's
2: Inserting a Crystal HD will make it play most mkv or blu-ray files (not disks) as long as they are within specs. (most real scene releases are now a day's)
3: The mac cannot play any blu-ray disks with menu's, retail or backed-up, for lack of software and licences.
4: the Mac with VLC or XBMC can play the main movie or can read the file structure of a blu-ray disk but not 100% reliable. (might stutter when going to next part of the movie)
5: Not all HD audio formats are compatible on the mac. MA etc. AC3 and DTS are of course fine.
6: inserting a Cristal HD, you wil lose Wifi but that can be fixes by using a USB wifi dongle

My advise:

1: If storage space is not an option and you want the best quality and compatiblity, just copy the largest MTS file and put it in a folder. Like \The Wrestler (2008)\0000.mts
XBMC will download all movie info and show up in your library
2: Rip the movie to mkv to preserve diskspace but lose some quality in auto and videoif you wish.
3: Buy a NAS with 4x 2TB disk RAID 5 for a total of $500. You dont want to lose all the work you put in building a movie collection disappear when a disk fails. This gives you 5,5 TB and if 1 disk fails you still keep al the data. I own a Netgear Readynas with Flexraid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FlexRAID) Is is easy for dummies. All is automatic.

Goodluck
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
Thanks idioteque!

This is already very helpful. I knew about the lack of BlueRay support of Mac, but this seems to be a good way of doing it.
I have a NAS and other external storag, so that is ok.

I will do some tests with XBMC library info and mts and mkv files.

Sounds like a good way to do it. Thanks again !
Thanks idioteque,

found some time over Xmas to test some things, but up to now it did not work unfortunately.

I copied the largest mts file to e.g. \Invasion\00000.mts and tried to get the movie information in XBMC but it did not work.
Any ideas ? Do I need a special scraper or the mkv format ?

BTW, I first tried to put a symbolic link to 00000.m2ts so that the structure would look like this
\Invasion\00000.m2ts --> \Invasion\BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts
But XBMC did not recognize the link. Any idea for that ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mac Mini - Crystal HD - BD format and video library ?0