Building a HTPC
Hello,

i did test XBMC and now i want to build a HTPC.

I have some ideas and i want to know if the hardware is good enough for playing HD (especially VC1 and ACS - MakeMKV). This should be possible without stuttering. The Sound should be transmitted to the a/v receiver (Denon) via HDMI.

This are my ideas right now:

CPU: Athlon II X2 240 (2 x 2,8 GHz)
Cooler: Scythe Shuriken Rev. B
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
Power: 350W Cougar A350/R 80 Plus
Memory: 4 GB DDR3 1600
HDD: 1 TB WD10EADS
Case: Any HTPC Case with ATX support
GPU: Zotac GT430 (Zone Edition)

The OS should be Windows XP Professional and XBMC 10.0.

Hopefully you could help me with my HTPC! Thanks a lot in advance.

P.S.: Sorry for my not so good English!
hotspot_2 Wrote:Hello,

i did test XBMC and now i want to build a HTPC.

I have some ideas and i want to know if the hardware is good enough for playing HD (especially VC1 and ACS - MakeMKV). This should be possible without stuttering. The Sound should be transmitted to the a/v receiver (Denon) via HDMI.

This are my ideas right now:

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
Case: Any HTPC Case with ATX support

The OS should be Windows XP Professional and XBMC 10.0.

Hopefully you could help me with my HTPC! Thanks a lot in advance.

P.S.: Sorry for my not so good English!

Hey you should just buy this htpc/nettop, its called Giada n20 and it doesnt make any noise and is small, and it can decode 1080p.
A few comments:

hotspot_2 Wrote:The OS should be Windows XP Professional and XBMC 10.0.

If you insisting on XP, you are gonna need a little more CPU power than that. For XBMC XP is pretty useless and doesn't allow for any GPU acceleration. That GT430 will be completely useless without Linux or Windows 7. It will all be CPU like the old days.

Secondly, getting a ATX mobo for a HTPC is pretty crazy. Very few nice HTPC cases support that size. Micro ATX is much much better.

Ok. Thanks a lot to now.

Can you please give me a little help which mobo would be great? It should be a micro ATX board?

When i use Windows 7 and the Zotac it will use the hardware acceleration? With Windows 7 which version must it be (Home Premium?).

Then i will go for micro ATX (with AM3) and same processor (?)?
Home Premium enought for HW. I'm not sure but i think all Win7 editions (include starter edition) can use all DirectX functions and HW accelerator. But Starter is crap. Home Premium is fine.

And CPU. When you using NVIDIA cpu in your system cpu doesnt matter. You can use Sempron but if you wanna more power also you can use Athlon II x2 240 with out no problem. But ı prefer lower TDP cpu for no cooling problems and quiet system.
Hello,

i changed my configuration a little bit to the following:

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
Case: Any HTPC Case with micro ATX support

First i will try with Linux and XBMC. I'm not really a Linux pro so if the try with linux will fail i will go to Windows 7 (Home Premium) and XBMC.

Do you think my configuration is ok right now? Or can you give me any ideas which will be better?

Thanks Wink.
I think that 4gb of ram is going to be a bit overkill and a waste of money. If you run Linux then you will most likely want the 32 bit flavor which is only going to recognize 3GB anyway. Get 2 or 3 GB and put the extra cash towards a case. Silverstone has a great case thats about the same size as an A/V receiver for 90 bucks.

Also, you could save a bit of cash by going with the mobo in my sig. Its a great board that I highly recommend. Its light on power consumption, will play 1080p with your selected processor and you can even do some light gaming with emulators (even N64 and PS1 emulators if that's your thing).
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
Ok. I will reduce the RAM to 2 GB DDR 1600. That's ok.

I want to go with HDMI to my receiver (Audio and Video) with only one HDMI Cable. I think with the Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H it must be possible (SPDIF out and the Zotac has SPDIF in, i think)? I hope with this configuration it would be possible to send DTS, DD and so on direct to the a/v receiver (Denon).

Can anybode help me if this would work? And the rest of my htpc configuration is ok for XBMC with Linux and / or Windows 7 (Home Premium)?

I will first try Linux but if i am experiencing problems with my not so good linux skills, then i will go to Windows 7. Which version of Windows 7 is better 32 or 64 bit (Home Premium)?

Now the complete configuration:

Case: 3R Systems Design Gehäuse R330 Black Link

Power: BeQuiet SFX 300 W
Link

Memory: Kingston 2 GB HyperX DDR3 1600

(Rest as shown above)
Exclamation 
hotspot_2 Wrote:Case: 3R Systems Design Gehäuse R330 Black Link

I am not sure that the Zotac GT430 (Zone Edition) will fit in that case
My name is Erier, Humf Erier
http://www4.atelco.de/resource?articleId...=2&index=1

I think it should. It's 13,5 cm high. And the 460 is not so long. What do you think?
Another question: My motherboard has an HD4200 graphics card on board. For my first tries with XBMC and Linux would this be enough for hardware acceleration and MKV (VC-1 and ACS) playback without stuttering?

Then i will buy the 460 only if i change to Windows 7.
i would take wind7 anyway, because everything will run out of the box and you dont need to reinstall everything if you want to switch.
the cpu is powerfull enough to encode every movie so i woulndt bother about that ati gpu. its pretty the same setup as i have as xbmc and gaming station. i would recommend the Palit Nvidia GeForce GTX460, small and fast. that will be my next one afther i got rid of that hughe noisy 275gtx XD
umm, sorry to ask, but you don't seem to be the master programer, so forgive me for asking but without an ODD(optical disk drive) of some type how are you planning on bringing in media or playing it. While some people have no problems sharing files between linux and winNT+/OSX platforms, first timers tend to bite off more then they can chew. So do you have a blu-ray drive that you just didn't include in your hardware list or what were you planing on doing for media.
ichihollow Wrote:umm, sorry to ask, but you don't seem to be the master programer, so forgive me for asking but without an ODD(optical disk drive) of some type how are you planning on bringing in media or playing it. While some people have no problems sharing files between linux and winNT+/OSX platforms, first timers tend to bite off more then they can chew. So do you have a blu-ray drive that you just didn't include in your hardware list or what were you planing on doing for media.

The whole point of XBMC is to act as a "frontend" for a media collection, such as DVD ISOs, BluRay rips, MP3s and FLAC files that live on a NAS or server.

You stream these to your XBMC HTPC.

Many many XBMC users don't have Optical Drives.
DaGround Wrote:i would take wind7 anyway, because everything will run out of the box and you dont need to reinstall everything if you want to switch.
the cpu is powerfull enough to encode every movie so i woulndt bother about that ati gpu. its pretty the same setup as i have as xbmc and gaming station. i would recommend the Palit Nvidia GeForce GTX460, small and fast. that will be my next one afther i got rid of that hughe noisy 275gtx XD

Ok. But at first i will give Linux a try. Does this mean that the hardware acceleration doesn't run with that ATI HD4200 on board? But the cpu is powerful enough to encode everything in Linux? It would be the same in Windows 7?

Ok. IF you say this enough hardware then i will order it. Thanks a lot for your help!

c u soon when installing Wink.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building a HTPC0