[AppleTV] Why did Apple TV modding become difficult? Whats a non-geek to do?
hoosier Wrote:I see needing the command line as the main reason this type of technology will always be on the fringe.

sudo dd if=/linuxnooblikeme/+instructions/+forumpeeps of=/happycamper/happywife
hoosier Wrote:Since it was "completely simple" last year.
Why is it acceptable when things go in reverse?
I was doing this a few months after the ATV came out, and now it is harder to do, that is not progress, sorry to kick any ego's but it's the truth, sure you can say it's my fault for not keeping up with the latest changes and being the edgy geek I was when I was 25, but this is not my hobby.

I see needing the command line as the main reason this type of technology will always be on the fringe.

Now I either need to figure out why I cant SSH into this thing or just sell it.

So go pull a previous version of atvusb-creator and re-patch. All the old versions are present, they never go away.
actually make your life easier

go to http://www.atvflash.com and use their paid tool. It has everything done. No knowledge of SSH needed at all. Just has everything. I think it is worth it, compared to your time getting into the middle of the OS X on the ATV. The ATV Flash tool is much faster.
ktjensen Wrote:actually make your life easier

go to http://www.atvflash.com and use their paid tool. It has everything done. No knowledge of SSH needed at all. Just has everything. I think it is worth it, compared to your time getting into the middle of the OS X on the ATV. The ATV Flash tool is much faster.

major BS, atvflash is atv bootloader with a different name and a price tag
not what I found. ATV flash has ability to install XBMC from within the ATV application. No knowledge of OSX required.
ktjensen Wrote:not what I found. ATV flash has ability to install XBMC from within the ATV application. No knowledge of OSX required.

ok, no knowledge needed here as well.

download progrm from here -> http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/

plug in a flash drive

run the program

once done remove flash drive and plug it into ATV and powercycle

once done, install XBMC from launcher

what OSX knowledge is needed??
i think he was referring to installing nito....within atv flash or patchstick .ca you can just install everything from within the menus such as nito and crystal hd drivers without any knowledge of ssh or ftp (or anything really)...basically you are paying for these scripts so you don't have to read or do anything to get things running, just click and go which some are willing to pay for i suppose...

anyways if you want to save the money do some reading and follow documented instructions and you shouldn't have to fork out the $50 bucks to these companies and instead maybe donate it to the xbmc team? Nod
"not what I found. ATV flash has ability to install XBMC from within the ATV application. No knowledge of OSX required." <- no nito mentioned here Smile

I think he just works for atvflash :p
Amet Wrote:ok, no knowledge needed here as well.

download progrm from here -> http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/

plug in a flash drive

run the program

once done remove flash drive and plug it into ATV and powercycle

once done, install XBMC from launcher

what OSX knowledge is needed??

To be fair, you had to know quite a bit to do what you just listed. I prefer following and reading here and elsewhere but atvflash does the whole thing in a more systematic way so that their customers don't have to read all over the place ( and information can get scattered about here). I don't know what relationship they have with xbmc developers, if they contribute/donate, etc... but for $40 it isn't that crazy ( and that includes the atv2 work they are collecting and doing).

XBMC is branching off al over the place. The Boxee Box I tried, and returned, seems to be an offshoot of here as is Plex and even XBMC will appear on future Sigma based players.

Open source doesn't preclude people from selling services based on it ( I guess that depends on the license type). IBM sells Linux, Red Hat, Apple with Darwin, etc ...

The whole modification of the ATV has become pretty complicated, especially with the Linux-atv. All still pretty neat though.

philip
pmcd Wrote:The whole modification of the ATV has become pretty complicated, especially with the Linux-atv.

Respectfully disagree. In the early days before all this patchstick hackdackery I used to have to dismantle and take out the hard drive of my ATV to mod it via external firewire enclosure. Putting Crystalbuntu onto a bootable USB stick was about the easiest damn thing I've ever done to my ATV. Getting Crystalbuntu onto my internal hard drive wasn't much harder. I would argue it's all just getting easier and easier as time goes on. ATV2 jailbreaking... now that's still a pain in the butt in comparison. Nod
ddingle Wrote:Respectfully disagree. In the early days before all this patchstick hackdackery I used to have to dismantle and take out the hard drive of my ATV to mod it via external firewire enclosure. Putting Crystalbuntu onto a bootable USB stick was about the easiest damn thing I've ever done to my ATV. Getting Crystalbuntu onto my internal hard drive wasn't much harder. I would argue it's all just getting easier and easier as time goes on. ATV2 jailbreaking... now that's still a pain in the butt in comparison. Nod

Well you certainly make a good point with respect to the CHD card and the ATV. We were very fortunate to have images handed to us on a silver platter. Take those away though and the Linux thing is pretty tricky. I am still trying to expand Sam's 4gig image which lives on a 16gig flash drive. I don't see a simple explanation anywhere for that. There are excellent explanations for more complex things like putting it on the internal hard drive and such, but these are not trivial.

The ATV2 jail breaking is really tricky. Tried to do it a few times via tethered booting but I never quite got it. Fortunately my ATV2 was able to be restored. I will admit that the ATV1G does seem easy compared to that.

I think it's just Linux that is intimidating to many of us. Time will hopefully fix that.

Philip
I wonder if the ssh issue is as simple as needing a different level. Seems to me that I had to use ssh -l [email protected] or something like that, as opposed to ssh frontrow ... depending on when I patched it.

Philip
Not sure if the original poster is still around but I think his problem is that SSH was not installed in the original XBMC install. If you follow the guide you may not install it. I just did an install and missed it and had to go back and do the SSH install.

Note: You need to check the SSH box in order to get it with your install.
When I wrote that guide I made it clear the user has to tick the plugins they want. The above image was an example I made at the time, actual settings will affect frappliance payload output

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Why did Apple TV modding become difficult? Whats a non-geek to do?0