XBMC 10.0 (Dharma) on a Apple TV verses on a Mac Mini?
Question 
Hi,

All the threads I found relating to AppleTV vs MacMini appear to be at least a year old, and from what I can see XMBC has made some impressive advancements performancewise in version 10.

Do these performance enhancements mean that a 1st-gen AppleTV with an upgraded videocard is now sufficient to play 1080p from an NFS-mount over Gigabit ethernet, or is a MacMini still recommended? My concern with the MacMini is noise. Ideally I'd like to have a dead quiet Mac Mini run my home entertainment...

Any insight most welcome before I purchase :-)
ATV with the CrystalHD card and OS X handles 720 just fine, however it tends to stutter with 1080p files. With a Linux install, most 1080p files are watchable.

I just switched to a Mac Mini and I am very happy with it. Completely quiet, much more flexible than ATV, no problems at all with HD playback (with OS X 10.6.3), and you could use it as a fileserver.

Only problem with XBMC and the Mac Mini: if you use iTunes for your music and iPhoto for your pictures, there is really no good solution for it in XBMC.
Thanks for the quick reply!

feikenberg Wrote:I just switched to a Mac Mini and I am very happy with it. Completely quiet, much more flexible than ATV, no problems at all with HD playback (with OS X 10.6.3), and you could use it as a fileserver.

That's all I needed to know - Mac Mini it is then - the "completely quiet" part won me over.
Won't be using it as a fileserver though. Have a 16TB QNAP-NAS in the basement and consider ripping out the harddrive replacing it with a super-small SSD for quietness and speed and having it feed everything from the NAS in the basement.

-y1
Not sure how you'd 'upgrade' the video card of the AppleTV Wink. It's soldered on.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
.:B:. Wrote:Not sure how you'd 'upgrade' the video card of the AppleTV Wink. It's soldered on.

I think he means switching out the WLAN card for a CrystalHD.

My ATV is 99% there. The Mac Mini (I believe) just works - no issues at all. But the Mac Mini is 4x the cost (or more). That's the clincher for me!
defiler Wrote:I think he means switching out the WLAN card for a CrystalHD.

My ATV is 99% there. The Mac Mini (I believe) just works - no issues at all. But the Mac Mini is 4x the cost (or more). That's the clincher for me!

I have both. My mid 2010 Mac Mini server is running 10.6.5 (client) and there seems to be some issues with the hardware drivers for the nvidia video for some files ( my eyetv archives). Other than that, it is great and silent. I still really like the ATV-1G with the CHD card. There is something about it even though the Mini is way better ( am not talking price).

philip

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 10.0 (Dharma) on a Apple TV verses on a Mac Mini?0