No DTS sound over HDMI to TV, connected with S/PDIF to receiver
Hi there,

i know, this theme was discussed in many threads, but i must admit, i´m i little bit overstrained with all the how-to´s, forum posts and different versions of all. So maybe someone of you can explain me a little bit, how XBMC handles the sound.

I run XBMC 10.0 on an Xubuntu 10.04 system. My HTPC is connected via HDMI to my LG 50PK550 plasma TV and the TV is connected over S/PDIF with my Pioneer VSX-808RDS receiver. The S/PDIF output on the TV is set to automatic. I have no problems with AC3, works great. But I have no sound with DTS! Thats my problem!
I connected the receiver directly via S/PDIF with the HTPC and set the XBMC audio outputs to S/PDIF and it works!
So my problem must be, that XBMC does no DTS output to my HDMI cable!
Whats wrong?
My HTPC is an Point of View Atom 330 Board with NVidia ION.

I used the ALSA version 1.0.22. I tried to fix it with the instruction here, but no success. Then
I´ve updated ALSA to 1.0.23 with this script here, but also no success!

So guys (and girls), how i said above, i´m overstrained with this! I also tried several setups in the XBMC Audio menu, but i don´t really understand what a passthrough is or why i can choose two output devices?!?
Can please someone explain me how this all works, and how i can achieve DTS sound over HDMIHuh
I know, the simplest solution is to connect the HTPC over S/PDIF, but I want to understand this!
problem is cos u can't pass trought the DTS from your TV.the DTS coming out over HDMI but TV not passig it out over Spdif.
Most TVs don't have full DTS support. They will pass along AC3 because many OTA TV shows use AC3, but none use DTS. It costs extra for hardware to support DTS, and quite frankly in the race to the bottom world of TV sales every edge helps.

If you want DTS support the SDPIF must be connected to your receiver directly. Or (if you are obsessed with having one cable to the TV) look at getting a HDMI compatible receiver.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No DTS sound over HDMI to TV, connected with S/PDIF to receiver0