[WINDOWS] Help for a noobie with hookup to flat screen
Question 
Im new to XBMC and am picking it up slowly, but surely. I have two problems that I was wondering if you guys could help me with.

1) I have setup everything in XBMC the way i want it (on my laptop). and went to plug it into the tv (via HDMI) the picture shows up, but I cant get it to fill up the screen. The picture is prety small. I tried to change the display mode on my tv (LG 42" LCD) which has a zoom function. The picture looks kinda funny. Is there a way to set it up so that it adjusts the pic size for flat screens?

2) I can't get the sound to play... I have tried every audio out function that there is on my XBMC version. (dharma running AEON65) I have a new sony 7.1 reciever comming in today I dont know if that one can handle the HDMI better? I have a super old sony 5.1 with 1 HDMI port. If I remember correctly I was able to get it running in the past. I have been trying different skins and builds, so it's hard to remember exactly which did what.

If you guys cold help me I would really appreciate it.
thanx in advance,
Alex
1. The screen res on your laptop should be 1920x1080. There is a Zoom setting inside XBMC which can also help with adjustments. You can also mess with the Windows display settings.

2. The HDMI port on your laptop needs to support audio. There may be a chance that it doesn't. Also, there are settings inside XBMC to choose which audio output you want to use. You can check that. If you can't get any sound at all, you may have to output the headphone jack to the TV.
ventman27 Wrote:Im new to XBMC and am picking it up slowly, but surely. I have two problems that I was wondering if you guys could help me with.

1) I have setup everything in XBMC the way i want it (on my laptop). and went to plug it into the tv (via HDMI) the picture shows up, but I cant get it to fill up the screen. The picture is prety small. I tried to change the display mode on my tv (LG 42" LCD) which has a zoom function. The picture looks kinda funny. Is there a way to set it up so that it adjusts the pic size for flat screens?

2) I can't get the sound to play... I have tried every audio out function that there is on my XBMC version. (dharma running AEON65) I have a new sony 7.1 reciever comming in today I dont know if that one can handle the HDMI better? I have a super old sony 5.1 with 1 HDMI port. If I remember correctly I was able to get it running in the past. I have been trying different skins and builds, so it's hard to remember exactly which did what.

If you guys cold help me I would really appreciate it.
thanx in advance,
Alex

1- Changing aspect ratio in XBMC or using your TV zoom function wont do!

Post a screenshot so I can see the problem, but for now I just think its Panel Scanning related and can be fixed by adjusting overscan.

Usually the graphics card/or built in one can read your TV/LCD maximum resultion supported even though the graphics card will send the correct resloution but it might sometimes be displayed smaller than actual 1:1 screen size "1:1" pixels also depends on what HDTV/LCD Screen you have. Thats when scalling comes to play, if you have a small picture on your screen that means you need to use overscan to correct the picture so that it will resize to your fullscreen panel.

Not sure if this option is on every grahics card but should be on all modern ones. In your graphics card control panel you should find something called "Scalling Options" as in ATI Catalyst Control Center. Make sure you select your HDTV and slide the bar/pointer towards the overscan untill the picture finally fills your screen. Then you can go to XBMC_> Settings_> System_> Video Output_> Video Calibration_. and from here you can calibrate the xbmc screen to fit properly on your screen.

2- Check that you have HDMI Audio Output in your Volume control Options, if you can not see it, then try enabling HDMI output and then go to Volume control Options again and see if you find it. In the Volume control panel you can enable more than one output "depends on Hardware". If you still can not find it you might want to check with the laptop manufacturer support website and see if you can find out about your laptop's HDMI features. You might need to update the graphics card software, but if I were you I would check first to make sure that my HDMI sends audio then update the software. Anyways I never heard of an HDMI that does not output audio it just defeats its purpose I think.

Cheers,
EG.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Help for a noobie with hookup to flat screen0