XBMCLive high CPU load, Sabnzb unpacking takes long?
Hi everyone, I have XBMCLive, latest and greatest. I've been using Sabnzbd for a long time, and normally unpacking an HD movie would take about 2 minutes. But now, since a while, it has been taking 25 minutes and up. When I look into my webmin to see the CPU load of my system, I see xbmc 'standalone' is taking up quite some CPU, all the time!

Check screenshot: http://i55.tinypic.com/jkehjm.png

Pastebin of xbmc.log: http://pastebin.com/KQ24cmZ4

I have rebooted the system, disabled plugins, tried other skins, but to no avail. What could be wrong?
I have installed Nvidia glx drivers 256, and the cpu usage went up to about 130%?? So this is almost certainly nvidia drivers related right? The interface was faster, but HD footage stuttered a lot with this driver. I went back to nvidia glx 195 and now HD plays ok again....but still high CPU usage.
try typing in top in a console and see whats running high cpu cycles.
-= My Media Centre =-
ACER Revo R3610 | x2 1.5TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drives (WD15EADS) | x2 2.0TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drive ( WD15EARS ) | 3.5in Black eSATA USB Trayless SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure | Emprex 3009URF Wireless MCE Remote Control | XBMCLive Dharma Beta1
danz0l Wrote:try typing in top in a console and see whats running high cpu cycles.

You'll see basically the same as in the screenshot I posted in the first post, but here it is: http://i55.tinypic.com/sqqrd3.png
XBMC always has this kind of a cpu load, at least on my system it does (i3 - 540). It has something to do with XBMC refreshing constantly, as I remember there is a ticket in Trac about it.

But it shouldn't matter, I also run SABnzbPlus and it runs fine. You mention 130% cpu load, is that when playing a video or what? If so, did you check the vdpau box under videosettings?
Nothing seems out of the ordinary there amd as George said xbmc seems to take about that much CPU in idle. I see you have sickbeard installed ? That can sometimes suck up cpu cycles when doing its crunching on what to grab.

Next time it happens drop to a shell (use ssh) and see what is running such high cpu cycles.

I also see you have 4 cores so one maxing out at 100% really shouldn't have a major impact on the system so something is weird.
-= My Media Centre =-
ACER Revo R3610 | x2 1.5TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drives (WD15EADS) | x2 2.0TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drive ( WD15EARS ) | 3.5in Black eSATA USB Trayless SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure | Emprex 3009URF Wireless MCE Remote Control | XBMCLive Dharma Beta1
It really is only xbmc.bin that is taking up the high CPU cycles. Sickbeard of course has some cpu every now and then, but nothing special.

Maybe it's an idea to take a day off and reinstall the whole thing. What would you guys suggest?
coendeurloo Wrote:What would you guys suggest?

Not running as root.
You cant come up with a reason for doing it so why do it?
FishOil Wrote:Not running as root.
You cant come up with a reason for doing it so why do it?

Excuse me? Not run the putty top processes command as root? I don't see how that would change things Wink I don't run xbmc as root (as far as I know)... I got used to opening putty as a root...no special reason.

can you explain a little bit more?
coendeurloo Wrote:Excuse me? Not run the putty top processes command as root? I don't see how that would change things Wink I don't run xbmc as root (as far as I know)...

can you explain a little bit more?

You apparenty are logginig in as root. You likley screwed to pooch somewhere and dont even know it.
FishOil Wrote:You apparenty are logginig in as root. You likley screwed to pooch somewhere and dont even know it.

Thanks for the confidence. I like to think that I do know what I'm doing though.
coendeurloo Wrote:Thanks for the confidence. I like to think that I do know what I'm doing though.

Reinstalling never hurted anyone, I guess. And even though I wouldn't log in as root, stating that you screwed something up is kinda harsh I think.
Agree, but then I'd loose my settings Sad Or where can I find the library file to backup?
In your $HOME is a .xbmc folder which has a userdata folder. Back it up.
Thanks, I'll get back at this post as soon as I've done this!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCLive high CPU load, Sabnzb unpacking takes long?0