Stereo to all speakers
Hi!

I've used XBMC for a few weeks now and it's great but there's one thing I can't figure out.

I have a Realtek integrated soundcard with analog connections to my 5.1 computer speakers. In the Realtek software I've enabled "Speaker Fill" which works great when listening to music though for example Spotify. Perfectly getting sound from all speakers Smile

In XBMC it doesn't work all that well. I've found a function under menu/sound (while watching a movie) that says "Stereo to all speakers" but it's "greyed out" or if we want to be literal "red out".

Is there a way for my system to use this feature? I suppose it should be fully possible as it is with other software and I don't get why it won't work in XBMC.

Thanks for all advice and tips

/Massy
Anyone happens to have a clue?
In the system menu you also have to tell XBMC you have more than 2 speakers.
If you have a 2.0 setup i think the option you refer to is greyed out.

Go to the system settings and change your audio output speaker configuration to something other than 2.0.
I think that does it?

please let me know..
What he said... if you select "5.1 speakers" then that should ungrey out. Although it's not stereo anymore if it's making up channels Smile
Cant get it working Sad

Attatching some pics explaining my settings.

My realtek settings(tried spekaer fill both on and off):

XBMC sound config:

TV show(says 2.0 sound):

Still greyed out:

I don't get why, I mean it should be doable as I've done it in other programs using the realtek speaker fillSad

Edit: Noted that it got "ungreyed" if I changed sound source to HDMI/Optical, but as written the line over this it's doable in other software with an analog connection so I don't really get it...

/Massy
hmm, i think it has to do with the source indeed...
Am not sure cause i am not a coder but it seems that XBMC is checking the source for audio channels. If it finds just 2 channels i think it grey's out the option.... but i can't offer you a solution other than setting your amplifier to surround mode. I mean, with 2 channels of audio, if XBMC is sending the same signals to all speakers, or you let your amplifier do this with a matrix setting or pro logic or whatever... what's the difference?

Just leave it on pro-logic if you have that option cause it will switch to DTS or AC-3 when that kind of stream is offered...
Oh no.. it doesn't cause you're analog....

Why not just hook up digital?
I used a cheapass audio cable with those red/white plugs for stereo left and right and just plugged it into my digital coax out on the mainboard and coax in on my amp... works like a charm..
WASAPI is Microsofts answer to bit perfect audio... basically using WASAPI is probably forcing the realtek drivers to ignore all settings and just pump the audio straight out.

You could try using another audio device if there's a non-wasapi one in your list?

I don't see you explaining your setup anywhere. Are you running the 6channel analog outputs into a receiver? If so, you can probably put the receiver in pro-logic mode for TV shows, and 5-channel stereo mode for music (You might need to run the L/R channels into a standard analog input instead of the 6-chan input). If you're not, you're SOL until you figure out a way to get the sound card/XBMC to do it.
Hi!

Greatly apreciating your answers!

To clear some things up I do not have an amplifier/reciever w/e. My subwoofer works as that. 5 Speakers connected to the subwoofer and 3 analog cables from subwoofer to computer.

I just tried to change WASAPI to Direct sound: Speakers(Realtek..........)
and it seems like I get sound from rear speakers now(without using the "greyed" option) but the sound coming out is quite low if I'm not just getting confused with the sound coming from the other speakers.

Will using DirectSound give less satisfying sound? I'm really not that into sound setups Tongue

Anyway thanks, seems to works atleast fine now Smile

/Massy
well nobody can answer that....
Does direct sound give less satisfying sound... only you can judge that...
Does it satisfy you less? Then go to wasapi. Is it just as? then do whatever you want....
We're just talking about a menu option that switched at the press of a button, it's not like changing a girl....
although... i live in bangkok thailand.... Maybe your problem is a bigger problem/issue.... Laugh
gollumscave Wrote:well nobody can answer that....
Does direct sound give less satisfying sound... only you can judge that...
Does it satisfy you less? Then go to wasapi. Is it just as? then do whatever you want....
We're just talking about a menu option that switched at the press of a button, it's not like changing a girl....
although... i live in bangkok thailand.... Maybe your problem is a bigger problem/issue.... Laugh

Hehe I get what you mean. I just were suspicious about the DirectSound thing, hehe. Maybe someone knew if it usually gave worse sound in any way Smile
Massy Wrote:Hehe I get what you mean. I just were suspicious about the DirectSound thing, hehe. Maybe someone knew if it usually gave worse sound in any way Smile

It'll give the sound quality you're used to with Windows. WASAPI is meant as Microsoft answer to the ASIO stack used by professional audio gear and audiophiles looking for the best audio possible. It's nice if you REALLY care about audio quality.

Basically it just removes some of the layers of sound processing to give it a faster turnaround time as well as less things messing with the sound before it's output. Realtime audio devices, like pro level recorders and pro sound editing software, need very low latency audio streams to sound their best. Your home theater (especially since it sounds like it's just a set of 5.1 powered speakers) probably won't be able to reproduce the differences anyway.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stereo to all speakers0