I USED TO love XBMC - I'm giving up... Please help
chiz^ Wrote:The projector supports an incoming signal of 1080i. That does not mean that it has a 1920x1080 lcd panel. Support of 1080i is one of the criteria for the HDready logo that is widely used among display products.

So even though it can accept an incoming signal with more pixels, it doesn't have enough pixels to display all of them and hence needs to scale the picture down.

What you see in the image below is how the pixels are aligned, and since your projector is 4:3 there's no way of displaying 16:9 material on it without black borders.

It works just the same if you have a 16:9 cinema screen, you cannot fill the entire screen with the image from your projector since the ratio is so different.

Most movies are produced in 2.39:1 and that's why you'll get black borders on most 16:9 projectors and TV's, and there's nothing you can do about it without resizing the image and making people appear taller and thinner.

Thanks, this is informative. I didn't know that Theaters were not 16:9.

I will live with 1024 x 768 (cropped using xbmc), or 1080i input and using the projector option for 4:3 to 16:9.

When I'm ready to buy a new one, will get a Native 1080p 16:9 projector.
Optima HD20
Word of advice, before buying a projector go to a store and get some demoed. There are better options than the Optoma HD20 for the same money available today.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I USED TO love XBMC - I'm giving up... Please help0