[AppleTV2] No Network
aicjofs Wrote:I don't think it's related to the network cable plugged in because I had the problem and never even broke out a network cable.

Basically I got the ATV2, plugged it in, loaded my wireless password, and looked around. Satisfied it worked, I started the jailbreak.

Built ipsw with Pwnage Tool 4.1.3
Extracted tethered boot files
Tethered boot from windows
No Network

Restored stock firmware.

Using same original ipsw, ran Pwnage Tool 4.1.3 again
Used same old tethered boot files
Tethered boot from windows
Network works.

So I don't think entirely related to a network cable, maybe it's related to messing with the network in general prior to jailbreak. In my example, I entered wireless data in a stock ATV, then jailbroke, second time it was fresh. I've seen some stuff on the iphone that makes it across jailbreaks. Or maybe it's just a Pwnage Tool issue, with the ATV2 build package you install, I'm sure the Seasonpass thing has the same code at the heart of it.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Information like that help us try to figure out what causes the no network problem.

-Dazex
I have setup two ATV2s now, one of my own and one for my neighbour.

Mine I setup first, connected to wifi, worked good and then jailbroke with the Pwnage Tool method. Everything worked after some fiddling with wireless and then wired which I switched to later. The only issue is it takes a long time to boot when I do the tethered boot. I cant say its for sure the network but it seems possible.

The second one I broke with the Seas0npass method, it has never been plugged in wired and it works great. Tonight I will unplug the wire and see if mine boots better, i hadnt thought of it before reading this.
I also tried both season pass 0.6.9 (30) and Pwnage Tool 4.1.3 and neither of them would make the wifi work, The ATV booted up no problem but with no networking, must have tried at least 5 times with each of the firmwares.
I had the exact same problem - no networking. This is what fixed it for me:

- Do a clean restore of the AppleTV from within iTunes
- Jailbreak with Seas0npass
- Tether boot the ATV2 (also using Seas0npass)
- You should see the initial language-selection screen on the ATV... from there it will ask you to connect to a network. You should be fine from this point.

The key was to start with a newly restored ATV2.

XBMC on the ATV2 rocks - big thanks to everyone involved in making it happen.

Good luck!
I think there are many with this problems.
This is the changelog of Seasonpass Wink

Quote:New in Seas0nPass 0.6.9

Added XBMC download sources
Improved jailbreak and restore process
More wireless networking bug fixes
Orijnal Wrote:I had the exact same problem - no networking. This is what fixed it for me:

- Do a clean restore of the AppleTV from within iTunes
- Jailbreak with Seas0npass
- Tether boot the ATV2 (also using Seas0npass)
- You should see the initial language-selection screen on the ATV... from there it will ask you to connect to a network. You should be fine from this point.

The key was to start with a newly restored ATV2.

XBMC on the ATV2 rocks - big thanks to everyone involved in making it happen.

Good luck!

Good info but my problem was when I was attempting the jailbreak via windows, the custom firmware uploaded perfectly with no errors, then the windows untether worked perfectly too with no errors, and even still there was no network, wifi or Ethernet! The process you describe is ideal if you have a mac, my own personal Apple TV was jailbroken on my mac without a hitch using SeasonPass.
After having some problems with wifi on the ATV2 after jailbreaking it, I tried restoring the original firmware and then using both the latest PwnageTool and Seas0nPass to jailbreak it. With the stock firmware I could connect to wifi fine, but after jailbreaking the ATV2 the box wouldn't even try (No swirly wait for it animation). The last thing I tried (which worked) was a different order in tetheredbooting.

I'm using the Windows tetheredboot program to boot from my laptop:
Instead of plugging just the micro usb cable in to the ATV2, I instead plug the usb cable and the power cable in before starting the boot process. Once I used this method instead of plugging the power cable in after the tetheredboot process finishes but before the usb cable is removed, the wifi worked the first time. Coincidence? Not sure. ;]
I had the no network problem happen to me last night after I did my jailbreak. When I did the tethered boot the way most guides specify, I had no network. Convinced the jb had indeed worked, I simply re did the the tethered boot and then the network was there. So if it happens, try the tethered reboot again and see if the network comes back before you go through the trouble of redoing your jb. Not saying it will work for everyone, but it worked for me. I can't be sure if my sequence of connections was different when doing the reboot but I don't think so.

This was on wifi.
I have a couple of different jailbroken ATVs, one of which had never given me any network problems through many tethered reboots (a couple of months worth). However, I recently had to do a tethered reboot which I did with Seas0nPass 0.6.8, and when it came back up I had no sign of wireless (ie none of the nearby networks appeared at all). I tried many reboots, but it never came back (ethernet was fine).

I restored and re-jailbroke with Seas0nPass 0.6.9. Wireless was back, and used the ATV with XBMC etc for a couple of days. Last night, I was scrolling through the menus, and the screen just went black. Attempted to SSH and it was still on the network, but killall AppleTV didn't bring the screen back. A few moments later, it was off the network entirely, so I did another tethered reboot. Damned if wireless wasn't gone again. Several more tethered reboots failed to bring it back. Pretty discouraging.
ChipsAhoy Wrote:I have a couple of different jailbroken ATVs, one of which had never given me any network problems through many tethered reboots (a couple of months worth). However, I recently had to do a tethered reboot which I did with Seas0nPass 0.6.8, and when it came back up I had no sign of wireless (ie none of the nearby networks appeared at all). I tried many reboots, but it never came back (ethernet was fine).

I restored and re-jailbroke with Seas0nPass 0.6.9. Wireless was back, and used the ATV with XBMC etc for a couple of days. Last night, I was scrolling through the menus, and the screen just went black. Attempted to SSH and it was still on the network, but killall AppleTV didn't bring the screen back. A few moments later, it was off the network entirely, so I did another tethered reboot. Damned if wireless wasn't gone again. Several more tethered reboots failed to bring it back. Pretty discouraging.

If you can get use of a windows PC then try out the tutorial I have posted here

This method seems to fix the no wifi or network problem,
Thanks for the reply badjase. I'm sure I can "fix" it again, by restoring and re-jailbreaking, but I'm not convinced that it will STAY fixed. However, I'm pretty sure that the problem is actually in the tethered reboot process rather than the jailbreak itself, since I never had a problem until I used one of the newer versions of Seas0nPass to do that. Over a 2 month period, it always worked fine until .0.6.8 of Seas0nPass was used to reboot it.

Maybe I'll do one more jailbreak and try using the Windows tethered booter instead of Seas0nPass. Since I have both Mac and PC laptops, it's not too much trouble to give it a go.

Thanks again for your input.
So I got it working today. The newest iOS is not working for jailbreaks. Went back a version and magic. I had done this previously but I am sure something was fixed in the backend.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] No Network0