[AppleTV2] Can the internal harddisk be used to store films, videos and other stuff?
Question 
Hi there. i've got a question for you:
i'd like to use xbmc and i'm happy about the porting of this media center to ios platforms. i'd like to buy the apple TV 2g, jailbreak it and install xbmc.
as this platform platform of the software is still "young", is it early to buy the ATV just to install xbmc?? what do you think about it??

moreover, what about internal hard disk. can it be used to store films, videos and other stuff?

thank you guys!

greeting from italy!!
It only has a 8GB HDD, so storing movies on it won't be the best thing to do.

U can browse other HDD's on your network using SMB, upnp, ...
I'd say buy one now mate. First of all apple may patch the bootrom hole used to jailbreak the current ATV so you may not be able to jailbreak newer ATV2s in the future (google 3gs old vs new bootrom). Secondly XBMC is usable at the momentg it plays SD content pretty well. It has a few little issues (check the stickies) but give it time and i'm sure they'll get ironed out.
super_pario Wrote:Hi there. i've got a question for you:
i'd like to use xbmc and i'm happy about the porting of this media center to ios platforms. i'd like to buy the apple TV 2g, jailbreak it and install xbmc.
as this platform platform of the software is still "young", is it early to buy the ATV just to install xbmc?? what do you think about it??

moreover, what about internal hard disk. can it be used to store films, videos and other stuff?

thank you guys!

greeting from italy!!

+1

I'd also like to know if this is possible.

For example, on my iPad and atv2, I have xbmc installed and am streaming everything flawlessly from my NAS.

On my iPad I have set up a share to another app's documents folder. In this case it's an app called OPlayer HD. This is what I used before xbmc Wink

So, what I can do when I'm out of my home wifi network is access any of the files stored locally on the iPad. OPlayer allows my to easily grab files from my pc or NAS and transfer them wirelessly or in fact, I can perform local USB transfers via iTunes. All then later accessible in xbmc.

What I'd like to do if I go away for a few days is just throw some files on the atv2's 8GB storage. A few movies, let's say 2GB.

As there is no such thing as an apple tv app store I cannot use something like OPlayer to easily pull files to the atv. Not that I know of anyway. Does anybody know of a way to do this?

I would love to take this thing with me to a hotel and use it as a standalone device.

By the way, this is my first exposure to xbmc and I'm blown away with how good it is. Makes me sad when I exit to the main atv menu.... Looks pathetic in comparison! Wink

Thanks
Looks like I can do it using ssh on the atv and WinSCP on the pc....

It just gets better and better.... Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Can the internal harddisk be used to store films, videos and other stuff?0