Remote Control UPnP Device from XBMC
Lightbulb 
Hello!

I have a XBMC Feature Suggestion which I did not find so far on the forum.
If I am wrong please correct me ....

To my setup: I have running the latest XBMC Dharma on a Zotac MAG connected to my TV and additionally I have (somewhere else in my Appartment) my stereo which is a Philips MCi900. This one is WLAN enabled and UPnP which can play the MP3 files located on the disk connected to my XBMC Box (and the other way round).
Currently I play music located on the XBMC drives on the Philips and I control this via my iPad with the Plugplayer which works perfectly.

But what I would like to see is a direct control of my HiFi with XBMC. the reason is that I would like to buy another WiFi / UPnP enabled Stereo for the childroom and then I would be able to stream music directly from the couch - without need of the iPad. Nod

Is that possibel!? All I found until now was the Multiroom Audio & Video Streaming Plugin (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...=multiroom) which is not what I am looking for.

thanks,
krijeck
rebuilding ....
+1 , a uPnP Play To function in the xbmc contextual menu would be great for music & videos.
Smile 
UPnP was maybe not 100% correct - what I meant was DLNA! Huh
XBMC could act as a Digital Media Server and Digital Media Controller and should be able to connect to other Digital Media Players or Renderer.
rebuilding ....
second that.
Need my apad in the kitchen and apad i bathroom to play the sound from my xbmc Smile
... would alse be nice to have this as an addon.
rebuilding ....
Since it has been requested before ([1] [2] [3]), I figure it would be better to raise the latest thread from the dead instead of creating yet another one.

I'd love to see XBMC gain support of being able to function as we UPnP Remote User Interface (RUI) as well, in addition to being a client/renderer/server.

To add to the use cases mentioned earlier in this thread and the others:
My TV already functions as a client/renderer, but it's lacking a comfortable UI. XBMC runs on a Rapsberry Pi, but struggles when playing HD movies. Letting XBMC function as a RUI would solve both problems. That is, if it's possible to let the TV give me back XBMC as soon as the movie is stopped playing. A quick test shows me at least my TV behaves this way (XBMC started and connected through HDMI, movie launched with AV control point, movie stopped gives me back XBMC).
It's coming in v13
I was pointed to a GitHub commit at the time that's supposed to add this functionality. Did I completely misunderstand this change, or should it now be possible to let XBMC function as a UPnP control point, allowing me to use the XBMC UI to "tell" my TV to start playing a movie with this commit? If I didn't misunderstand and this is what's possible now, how do I actually use it? I couldn't find out how to do it.
(2013-07-05, 12:25)Forage Wrote: I was pointed to a GitHub commit at the time that's supposed to add this functionality. Did I completely misunderstand this change, or should it now be possible to let XBMC function as a UPnP control point, allowing me to use the XBMC UI to "tell" my TV to start playing a movie with this commit? If I didn't misunderstand and this is what's possible now, how do I actually use it? I couldn't find out how to do it.

It seems to only reliably work with other instances of XBMC at the moment, but the goal is to have it work on TVs and other UPnP and DLNA targets.

Basically, download a nightly (wiki) or monthly (wiki) build, go into Settings -> Services -> UPnP -> Enable the "look for other UPnP" option.

Then when you want to play something, bring up the context menu while that video is selected, and choose "play with". That should give you a list, starting with DVDPlayer (local), and any UPnP renderers that XBMC is able to detect.

If playing to another instance of XBMC, remember to turn on the UPnP setting for allowing UPnP control (Settings -> Services -> UPnP ).

It's a little clunky at the moment, and it seems to not work with the most recent Monthly snapshot. I would recommend using an Alpha 4 monthly build until that is resolved. However, it does work, and it's pretty slick. XBMC still needs some tweaking in the UI to make controlling a little nicer, but that can also depend on various skinning options. For example, on Confluence you have to use the sidebar menu's "mini player" controls, but on a tablet using Touched or Retouched, you can use the full screen controls or the larger "mini player" controls at the top.
(2013-07-05, 13:55)Ned Scott Wrote: It seems to only reliably work with other instances of XBMC at the moment, but the goal is to have it work on TVs and other UPnP and DLNA targets.

Basically, download a nightly (wiki) or monthly (wiki) build, go into Settings -> Services -> UPnP -> Enable the "look for other UPnP" option.

Then when you want to play something, bring up the context menu while that video is selected, and choose "play with". That should give you a list, starting with DVDPlayer (local), and any UPnP renderers that XBMC is able to detect.

Good to know it's possible now!

I was playing with the latest OpenElec test build which does not have the new "look for other UPnP" option included. That explains why I didn't manage to figure out how to use it. I was under the impression that the build included the latest of XBMC changes but this is either not the case or they did not include all yet. I'll ask them about it.

The main thing I'm interested in is controlling my TV, not a different instance of XBMC. An additional option to set the default "play with..." target would make it perfect.
Wow that's great news. Love t osee upnp improved and extended. This will help many people with their setup and bring solutions for long standing issues.

I'd just like to have an easier update method for the monthly builds on iOS. That's a bit cumbersome with the terminal having to type insanely long URLs on a very small iPhone. Smile
You don't have to use SSH at all to install monthly builds on iDevices: http://youtu.be/vDeQddBJYcE
Resurrecting rather than rethreading,

I've found all this functionality, but as usual we want MORE! Can a) this be added to the iOS app, and b) is there a command line option for this as well? The reason I ask is that I run a separate control software and would rather not have to hook my pc up to display to my projector. If I could use either the iPad app, or a command line prompt then I can stick with my touchscreen interfaces. My control software can initiate command line prompts. I've been able to get it to work with JRiver sporadically, but it's not as robust a program as XBMC.
Yes we need this feature for ios app
its in http://kodi.tv/kodi-16-alpha-3/
NodNodNod
rebuilding ....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote Control UPnP Device from XBMC1