[AppleTV2] Mythbox - local recording directory
Question 
Hi all,

I have a ATV2 running xbmc and I am trying to get it to connect with my mythbuntu backend 0.21.

I had no sucess with the myth://ip.address as a file source. I get the error "Cannot connect to remote server"

I am trying Mythbox 1.0.0. which is able to connect to the myth backend, I can see recordings, get tv listings but I can't play recording because I can't figure out how to map the mythtv backend "recordings" share to a local recording directory on the ATV2.

Anyone able to mount "recordings" to a local directory as per the Mythbox --> Settings -->Mythtv -->Local Recording Directory?

Thanks for your help
You need a build from 29th at least. Follow these instructions:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92261

myth:// works for me, connecting to a U10.04 desktop with mythbackend 0.23.

You may need the trick to add the IP/hostname of the mythbackend at the bottom of the /etc/hosts file in ATV2.

Edit: I'm not using mythbox
I upgraded to the latest build and also added a /etc/hosts file entry for my mythtvbackend and finally I can see activity in the mythbackend server log file however I'm still getting the failed to connect error.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 and I wonder if my version of the backend (rev 26437) is too new for the XBMC client?

Is there any log files under the XBMC client that can shed light on this?
I think Ubuntu 10.10 uses mythbackend 0.24, while 10.04 used 0.23
Support for 0.24 was added to XBMC after the Dharma release, so I don't expect that the current ATV2 builds have this support. You might have to wait until the ATV2 is merged back to mainline...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85488
Success! Big Grin

I am able to connect to myth backend using myth:// as s file system after updating as suggested by pvautrin. Thanx pvautrin.

I will abandon using mythbox for the time being, probably until there is NFS support.

Adding IP and name to hosts did not help prior to update.

Now I have a problem of my sound being choppy and the picture has a slight stutter. Will investigate forum, as not to pollute this thread with a new topic.

Thanks everyone!
Hello - I have been testing with my ATV2 for a couple of weeks now and I can share some of my experiences.

My goal was to use the ATV2 as a mythtv frontend using XBMC. Right now I am currently recording mostly standard definition directly from a tuner card using mpeg2. The SD files are pretty large, ~1GB per hour, and I don't have the mythtv server transcoding them. I forgot my exact version of mythdora, but it is an older version.

In the basement where the mythtv server is located I connected the ATV2 to an N access point via wifi. I used the myth:// protocol to add my mythtv server as a source. The choppiness of the SD video was very bad.

I then tried using the wired connection to a GB switch (connected to the myth server). This completely fixed the choppiness of the SD video from the myth server.

My goal was to use the ATV2 in my bedroom with a Samsung 720 LCD. I do not have my house wired with UTP so I do powerline networking where I need. I decided to try a Netgear MoCA solution which uses the coax cable to extend the network. The MoCA units were reporting about 80mpbs between the units which I figured was fine, however, when I hooked up the ATV2 and trying to play SD files from the mythtv server the files studdered. It was less than when I tested it with 802.11n.

Then I tried using the uPNP protocol and the same files that were studdering before were now just fine. However, I don't have the ability to seek forward to do a 30-second skip past commercials. I think when using the myth:// source XBMC automatically will find the commercial marks in mythtv files and skip them for me, but not when going through UPNP.

I actually don't know the mechanics behind the myth:// source so I am not sure if I can change anything inside of XBMC to make it stream smoothly.

Also, I tested multiple x264 large 1080 HD movies (~12-14GB files) and none of them had a problem playing on the ATV2 using the same MoCA wired network connection that the myth:// source was studdering on. My source for these movies is an Intel SS4200 NAS shared via SMB.

Thanks to the entire XBMC team for such a great product.
Hi!

I'm bumping this old thread - I'm currently trying to get LiveTV working with my ATV2 and Mythtv 0.23.1 but I have no success. Watching recorded programs using myth:// works but not LiveTV (I also have two Xbox'es running XBMC and on them LiveTV works)
What versions of XBMC / Mythtv are you using, maybe that's my problem?
mpeg2 will use software decoding via ffmpeg... slow.
h264 will use hardware decoding via videotoolbox... fast.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Mythbox - local recording directory0