Debug logging
I am new to osx and am having trouble accessing my debug logs so I can post a proper thread about my problem, I have read all the posts etc about how to find them and thats not a problem. I am entering the right folder location but I keep getting permission denied. Even when I sudo into it first. I am using putty on a windows machine into my appletv 1. That has xbmc install by using launcher. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful.
Could you post the output of "ls -l <foldername>" as taken from the folder above where you're trying to get into? (Those are both lower-case L's btw, don't know how much Terminal you know)

For example, if the location was ~/Media/CD/, you would do

Code:
cd ~/Media
ls -l CD
-bash-2.05b$ cd ~/Library
-bash-2.05b$ ls -l Logs
total 160
-rw-r--r-- 1 frontrow frontrow 29061 Feb 3 15:11 boxee.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 frontrow frontrow 23820 Feb 3 15:04 boxee.old.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 frontrow frontrow 12806 Feb 3 15:51 xbmc.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 frontrow frontrow 7848 Feb 3 14:56 xbmc.old.log
Nothing untoward looking there, I don't think. How are you then trying to access the log files when it gives permission denied?

What is the output of:

Code:
cat ~/Library/Logs/xbmc.log
I figured it out. I was using sudo /Users/frontrow/Library/Logs.xbmc.log
and I would get permission denied. I tried cat ~/Library/Logs/xbmc.log and it worked. I will post a real thread with all my info now. Thank so much
m_hatcher Wrote:I figured it out. I was using sudo /Users/frontrow/Library/Logs.xbmc.log
and I would get permission denied. I tried cat ~/Library/Logs/xbmc.log and it worked. I will post a real thread with all my info now. Thank so much

You were missing telling it what program to run the log file with Wink Sudo was telling the computer to try run the log file as a program as the root user.

No problem, don't forget to use a pastebin service for your log and link to it in your post.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Debug logging0