Stuttering issue with GeForce 9400M
I have a 2009 17" MacBook Pro with the dual NVIDA GeForce graphic processors, 9400M and 9600M GT. When I use the 9400M to play a DVD movie using XBMC, I noticed that the framerate consistently drops to around ~10 fps. When I switch to using the 9600M GT the framerate stays at around 24. I am baffled by this problem as I also have a 2009 MacMini with the NVIDA GeForce 9400 graphic processor and when I play a DVD movie using XBMC, the framerate stays around 24.

What is even more strange is if I play the same DVD movie on the MacBook Pro with the OS X DVD player (outside XBMC) using the 9400M graphics processor the fps stays around 24.

Of course, the effect of when the fps drops to around 10 the video gets choppy and the audio and video get out of sync.

Is there a XBMC system setting that I need to tweak in order to be able to use the 9400M on the MacBook Pro?

OSX Version 10.6.6
Platform 2009 17" 2.8GHz MacBook Pro with 4GB RAM
Install Method dmg
SVN Revision 35648
Skin Transparency!

xbmc.log
Okay so on a whim I decided to try switching to the Confluence skin and play a DVD movie using the 9400M graphics processor. Guess what the issue disappears. So I am thinking to myself that it is a skin issue. I then switch back the the Transparency skin and play the DVD movie again using the 9400M graphics processor. The problem is now not showing up. Some how the problem has fixed itself on its own.
winestock Wrote:Some how the problem has fixed itself on its own.

I hate those Sad
Davilla,

It seems that the problem has returned. This time I tried switching skins but the problem did not go away this time. With the 9400M graphics processor I am only getting a constant ~10 fps. With the 9600M GT graphics processor I am getting a constant ~24 fps. With the OS X DVD player playing the ripped DVD movie, using the 9400M graphics processor, I get a constant ~24 fps.

Thoughts on what might be going one here.

9400M screen shot:

9400M xbmc.log

9600M GT screen shot:

9600M GT xbmc.log
Davilla,

I went ahead and defined the use of VLC in playercorefactory.xml. When I select to use VLC to play the ripped DVD movie, using the GeForce 9400M graphics processor, I got a constant ~24 fps.

My 2009 MacMini with 4GB RAM has the same GeForce 9400M graphics processor and yet I don't get the poor fps performance when I use the default XBMC DVD player on it.
There is an unofficial build here with some h.264 fixes (among other things). It might be worth a look even if that doesn't apply here.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=713...tcount=238
very odd, DVDs use DllLibMpeg2 so sw decode via ffmpeg is used. Therefore, it's a pure GPU/OpenGL issues. Both GPU's 'look' the same from xbmc's view point. Not sure what's going on.
It seem that if I set SETTINGS->VIDEOS->Render Method to "Software" the stuttering problem disappears.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stuttering issue with GeForce 9400M0