Do you guys actually use Library mode?
I was wondering if you guys actually use library mode.... I think the fact that I don't have to use it is what I like over boxee
I personally have tried but just don't think it works as good as just leaving it in file view mode... I still get all the coverart and i have it set on choose so If i want to read what its about i easily can.
One of my main reasons for doing that is in my video folder, I have seperate folders for Kid Movies, Home Movies, Normal Movies, Dirtbike Riding videos and TV. I only scrape the Movies, Kid Movies and TV.

How are you guys all doing it... especially those that have home movies
Panaman,

I do use library mode on my XBMC set up @ home. I build it for my parents, and library mode works best because it looks best (per their statement.) All the videos are available to all members of the house since we are all over 18 years old, & I have it set up to auto-update on start-up, so there is no reason to use file view anymore. I don't know much about limiting XBMC to only certain movies, though I would be interested, because I will someday have kids (just got engaged so hopefully FAR off.) I just use confluence also, because I feel that it is the easiest skin of all the XBMC offerings. It really is an amazing skin.
Library mode is great. Combined with user profiles, you can easily limit different people to different things if you want, on one machine. or you can have multiple machines with jsut the appropriate sources added in the kids room or whatever.

With Sickbeard acting as your PVR and filling upt hte library with HD goodness, it's pretty amazing, very cool.

We've uses library mode with movies for years now, and have recently moved to doing so for TV as well, and I'm now wondering why I didn't do so years ago. Especially if you have a fair bit of as-yet-unwatched stuff, it's great at keeping things organsied and pleasure to browse through.

I use Confluence as well - I suppose some of the others are more distinclty slick to look ati, but Confluence is unfussy, clear, and generally just fits more on screen in a non messy manner. So I love it.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Without Library mode XBMC is just another media center...

Look into 'Smart Playlists', very simple. Smart Playlists combined with the majority of skins allowing multiple custom Home items, you can separate and give the appearance of having multiple Libraries - i.e. Sections for: HD Movies, Kids, Anime, Home Vids, etc...

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
I actually use home movies via the youtube addon, and pictures via the flickr addon. My home videos are backed up on my server, but not really watched from there. Same with pictures, the raw images are on my server and all edited and processed stuff is on flickr.

Library mode is what makes XBMC great. Without that metadata, I might as well use VLC with a file manager. I even enjoy the artist and album information it can find for music. Far beyond what the id3 tags contain if you have it grab the full data.
Well, at least now I know I am not alone. I don't use library mode either, I prefer a nicely organized folder structure instead. It's not that I don't like XBMC's library mode, I don't like library concept at all, no matter which application. Smile My family is also happy with the current setup.
I don't use library mode at all when watching TV Shows. I do for movies though. The library mode for TV Shows is just quite frustrating because it doesn't automatically get rid of files you've deleted.
RXP91 Wrote:I don't use library mode at all when watching TV Shows. I do for movies though. The library mode for TV Shows is just quite frustrating because it doesn't automatically get rid of files you've deleted.

If you remove them from the library AND select the delete option it certainly does. Simply select the context menu and choose Remove. Can't get much easier.
-stoli-
and you can enable the <cleanonupdate> advancedsetting for that extra automagic touch.
Only issue with that is if your NAS is down for some reason, it'll remove your entire library right?
@RXP91 - correct.
-stoli-
Of course I use it! I think it's what makes xbmc so special... There are limitations, though. In my case, it's the music videos: I have some concerts, which I've added as films, but they'd be better in another place..

anyway, I love library mode Smile
I wouldn't say that in file mode that XBMC is just another media player.... It still has cover art. Moving information and trailers in file mode. :-) To me I think its harder for me to find stuff in Library Mode. Also it seems that Library mode for some reason does show all the files.... Seems like some movies just don't play for me in library mode... especially unknown movies and home videos.... how are you guys organizing your home videos? I have a ton of offroad motorcycle helment cam videos and videos of my kids..... file view just seems the only logical way to see them.. when i switch to Library Mode they don't even show up.
I use library mode almost exclusively. I love getting the movie, and TV fanart, plus all the movie, and episode details.
I use library mode for movies but not for music. I have lots of music from many different sources and the tags aren't always correct so I just use file mode. I already have my music in folders listed by artists, so that works better for me

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Do you guys actually use Library mode?0