Installing Linux on ATV1
Hi

I just bought an ATV1 box, and a Crystal HD card.
Want to install Linux and XBMC on the internal HDD, to get 1080P sup.

But what is the latest and greatest image for this box?
Link Smile
Any tips? Smile
hi,

you've been waiting for a reply.
im running linux on the atv1 and im running on pin87 image (you can download that one ).
If im correct he only made 1 so thats the latest from that side (no problems with this linux-installation)
I do know sam.nazarko is busy making a auto-installer, but how far he is with this one i dont know.

Good luck with the image! Smile
There's also Openelec linux for the ATV but it is very complicated to install. Sam's image once final and available seems the easiest way to get linux on ATV going.

There's an older Openelec USB image here which you can use with a 4GB+ USB flash drive. Once its running on the ATV browse network for OpenELEC PC, go into /configfiles/ and open the update.conf in notepad, then change the last line AUTOUPDATE="auto" this will allow the image to update itself to the newer builds of Openelec/XBMC. Reboot then wait for update to prompt it's downloaded update and installed and reboot one last time.
There is no need to install the image on the internal HD and the old original pin87a image plays 1080p just fine without major issues
interceptor121 Wrote:There is no need to install the image on the internal HD and the old original pin87a image plays 1080p just fine without major issues

One caveat there - I ran out of disk space using the 4GB image from the USB. If you have a decent size library, and use DDS fanart, you'll want the extra GB that the internal HD offers.

Plus - it's faster too.
You can also try this:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94425

It does require removing your atv 1 hard drive and hooking it up to a mac. But beyond that is pretty much plug n' play.
Thank you for tips.
Think I will wait for Sam's image then.

Where can I track progress of this project?
The project page is here but Sam's twitter account will probably say when it's finally ready.
brock_gonad Wrote:One caveat there - I ran out of disk space using the 4GB image from the USB. If you have a decent size library, and use DDS fanart, you'll want the extra GB that the internal HD offers.

Plus - it's faster too.

For what? Just the library database? Even with thousands of titles that does not get bigger than few megs

For the actual media files you can access the internal hard drive from the USB image just mounting it. Besides the ATV internal drive is slow and you better off with a faster external USB in any case
interceptor121 Wrote:For what? Just the library database? Even with thousands of titles that does not get bigger than few megs
If your using dds artwork it will soon get larger than a few megs. I've got about 200 titles in my library and my thumbs folder is 1.1GB.
interceptor121 Wrote:For the actual media files you can access the internal hard drive from the USB image just mounting it. Besides the ATV internal drive is slow and you better off with a faster external USB in any case
I disagree. The internal hard drive is just as fast as any USB I have. I get read speeds of 32MB/s and Write speeds of 26MB/s. I realise if purchased a high end USB I might see a slight improvement in read/write speeds but I doubt it would add much to the performance of the os. Were still limited to 256MB of ram and a 1Ghz processor.
What DV3B said.

With DDS fanart, my thumbs folder soon took up all of the space on the 4GB Linux image, and XBMC shat itself to the point where I couldn't even log in via SSH to clean it up...

You don't need all 40GB, but you need more than 4GB.
On the ATV1 platform, in particular, DDS fanart is a must have.
why buy/use a usb-stick when you bought the atv.
Secondly its faster (dont ask details, it just isSmile)
It looks better when you have the atv next to the tv (i had an annoying light coming out of the usb)

My dds fanart+all the skins i like to try filled up my 4gb thumbstick in notime.

And if you can copy and past then i would say, start working on the current image. In 30 minutes you're done. Big Grin
Not sure. After doing the minimal autoclean I have over 1.3 G in the de/sdb3 and another G hanging around. Once booted there is no difference between running off a disk or a stick
Instead having an external USB drive is just so much better than the crappy internal or any network connection

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Installing Linux on ATV10