FullHD PoE diskless XBMC box
Hi Forum,

I'm about to setup a infoscreen setup for my company and of cause thought of using XBMC for this...

My optimal setup would be:
- Cheap easily available hardware in a box, but still 100% legal - so no jailbraked AppleTv, plain motherboards, etc.)
- FullHD (1080p - 1920x1080)
- I need power (if I can't get PoE to work), RJ45 ethernet, HDMI
- PoE (so i can turn it of via a script that turns off PoE in the switch)
- No HDD (will boot via PXE)
- Automatically startup showing slideshows from a specific NFS dir (no manual intervention should be involved), but should be possible to exit to XBMC menu if we wan't to show a video or hear music, etc.
- Different NFS dirs will be used for coffee areas (company employees birthdays, internal information), reception (flight info, general information about company) , kitchen (todays menu), etc.
- NFS dir link "current" will be changed to actual date eg. "31.12" 00:01 each day to show new slideshow.

Please, let me hear your ideas on this
Thanks in advance Smile !

~maymann
All I can talk about is hardware...

I cannot find cheap, poe x86 motherboards. So, that's a no go.
Most modern computer can boot over PXE.
The last part is all software.

I would use any ion1 /ion 2 board. I assume you will be running linux, so only nvidia onboard graphics will do the trick.
Hi Spartan711,

thanks for your quick reply.
By cheap i mean less than $200 - sorry for not being very specific about that. Do you know of any SmallFormFactor motherboard preferably in a box that you can recommend, like a legal jailbraked AppleTV solution with PoE and PXE.

I have created same post in the general forum to get answers to my SW questions as well.

Thanks in advance :-) !
~maymann
Sorry for the late reply,

the only mobo's you will find that are under $200 are SoC (system on a chip), which are from sigma. I doubttt they are PoE, althjough I'm sure you could hack it. Sigma is interested in XBMC, but it will be a long time (my guess: >1 yr) before anything of that sort is possible.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FullHD PoE diskless XBMC box0