VIDEO_TS folders (VOB files) still don't play properly on XBMC?
99% of my movies are in VIDEO_TS folders. Yes I know I convert them using Handbrake, but I have many movies and it would take forever to convert them all. I tried turing on "Stack" in the MISC OPTIONS but that didn't help. Is the software just not capable?

To explain my setup, I have my files in a network drive and I'm able to see them, but they won't play. My shared drive folder is named "MOVIES". Within movies, I have folders for each movie. For example, "Big Lebowski". Within the each movie are the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders.
the 'XBMC for iOS current issues at a glance' sticked post mentions an issue with VIDEO_TS... pls read that and see if that applies
toshiba1 Wrote:the 'XBMC for iOS current issues at a glance' sticked post mentions an issue with VIDEO_TS... pls read that and see if that applies

It does! Sorry I missed that. All my files have menus so I'll hope for an update down the road. Thanks.
If you run the VIDEO_TS folders through MakeMKV it will copy the main movie to a MKV file. No conversion so it's a quick process and that should allow you to play the movies though of course you will loose DVD menus.
Starstream Wrote:If you run the VIDEO_TS folders through MakeMKV it will copy the main movie to a MKV file. No conversion so it's a quick process and that should allow you to play the movies though of course you will loose DVD menus.

I tried that, but it's unwatchable because of the buffering.

If he doesn't mind losing the menus, he could run them through dvd-shrink or something like that to rip the main movie alone.
That works perfectly, tested it myself.

It will only take about 5-10 min per movie.

I have about 300 movies in .iso, but I'm just gonna wait, the devs will surely fix this problem Nod
Or you copy your video_ts folders to the atv2s internal hdd ...
I now have a 'workable' workaround for the fact that my iso's don't play.
I installed Daemon Tools on my server, shared the virtual drive and added it as a share in xbmc.
Now I can mount the iso I want to watch and play the video_ts that's inside it from xbmc.
Working great, albeit not the ideal solution.

Hoping for a quick fix for the iso-problem Smile
Fire69 Wrote:I tried that, but it's unwatchable because of the buffering.

Works fine on my setup - have got lots of mpeg2 stuff in mkv files ripped from my DVDs they all work fine, as do TV recordings in Mpeg2 and live tv mpeg2 with TVHeadend.

Use MakeMKV - it's nice (if you don't mind losing menus).
Check out my stationery blog- http://www.tailormadeinvites.co.uk
I used MakeMKV and none of my DVD's have menus in them. I hate menus Smile
I hate menus too. And for the most part - 'extras'.
I agree MakeMKV is good for taking a VOB and turning it into a MKV, doesn't take long either as said above.
Devices using XBMC
iMac | MacBook | MacBook Air | AppleTV2 | iPad | iPhone4
I'm another fan of video_TS and hope support for it comes to iOS devices someday.

Something that I have been wondering though is why is this format so tricky to deal with. I have noticed that the Plex iOS app and Air Video also don't support video_TS, and I have not found any app that stream the format to an iOS device.

I'm no programer, but I do wonder as to why MP4, MKV, etc. can be supported rather easily, but video_TS seems so elusive.

I don't mean this as any sort of knock against the XBMC team. I think you are doing a great job and I look forward to future developments. I am just asking more out of curiosity and hope someone can shed some light on the video_TS situation.
I'm sure it won't be too long 'til it gets fixed.
I don't think that mkv support was easy, only because it works Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VIDEO_TS folders (VOB files) still don't play properly on XBMC?0