iPad 2: Will XBMC be your reason for buying.
iPad 2 has been just been presented, will anyone be buying with XBMC in mind. Will the hardware upgrade make a difference? Dual-core A5... Thoughts?
Not me, seems expensive for an XBMC machine, will need jailbreaking and who knows how well the 1080p HDMI adaptor will work.
nope
Indications are that it can't play 1080p still. Neither does the Xoom. Until a tablet can play original mkvs, its useless for XBMc purposes...

poofyhairguy Wrote:Indications are that it can't play 1080p still. Neither does the Xoom. Until a tablet can play original mkvs, its useless for XBMc purposes...

good point..
poofyhairguy Wrote:Indications are that it can't play 1080p still. Neither does the Xoom. Until a tablet can play original mkvs, its useless for XBMc purposes...

mkv is just a container, the video decoding on iPad, atv2 etc is done via us doing demuxing (taking mkv and splits out the seperate streams) and send it to the codec of choice (which does the hw decode). So the intent is to run xbmc to playback we will do it hwaccel (given nothing has changed in that regard with the new version)
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I think things will be good if they drop their new A5 CPU into a new generation Apple TV - it would be fair to assume this CPU will be going into the next gen iPhone 5 or whatever - so Apple TV might follow. But having true 1080p support would be golden if the hardware allows it.
I won't. Honestly, I have never been that impressed with the iPad. My brother has one and although I think they are neat, I could just never justify spending 500 bucks on it.
patm95 Wrote:I won't. Honestly, I have never been that impressed with the iPad. My brother has one and although I think they are neat, I could just never justify spending 500 bucks on it.

My thoughts exactly, my 3 brothers each have one and I find them totally useless.

They don't do anything that my existing Dell Streak can't do at a fraction of the cost, Of course the larger screen size is nice but when you have your own 1 bedroom place and a 50inch screen the iPad becomes pointless.

I do see the appeal to other people though.
On what i saw about the Ipad 2, it can play 1080p videos ( depending of what profile, they've not detailed this part ) but output is only 720p on hdmi adapter, like for the Apple TV2.
I am very interested in getting an ipad 2 for xbmc. with the HDMI out, i can connect it easily to any tv in my house.

They said it can do 1080p mirroring, 720p video. With the jailbreak and xbmc, there's a possibility you could use the mirror mode to display xbmc on the tv in 1080p and then play a 1080p movie within the app.

I think there's a lot of possibilities with the HDMI out and dual core processor.
thedon_1 Wrote:I am very interested in getting an ipad 2 for xbmc. with the HDMI out, i can connect it easily to any tv in my house.

They said it can do 1080p mirroring, 720p video. With the jailbreak and xbmc, there's a possibility you could use the mirror mode to display xbmc on the tv in 1080p and then play a 1080p movie within the app.

Two problems with that:

1. We still don't know if the iPad 2 can PLAY 1080p (I will have one soon to test)

2. There doesn't exist an awesome iPad compatible XBMC skin yet. That is why most of the excitement revolves around the AppleTV2.

Good points.

Do you know if there's an ipad specific skin in development?

One thing i was thinking about. The ipad is 4:3 so mirroring will have black bars.

From what i've seen, 16:9 output is possible, there was a story about an app developer using an api to get it working. I wonder what will and not be available to developers in terms of aspect ratios, outputs etc.
We also don't know how the mirroring works - does it just scale up the existing display or can the app render at 1080p?

I'd be highly surprised if it can't handle 1080p decode - after all, iPad 1 can handle most 1080p.

Is 4.3 jailbreaked yet?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:We also don't know how the mirroring works - does it just scale up the existing display or can the app render at 1080p?

Apparently the iPad2 upscales its resolution to 1080p:

http://hd.engadget.com/2011/03/02/the-ip...-see-here/

Reviews will quickly tell us how well it works.

Quote:I'd be highly surprised if it can't handle 1080p decode - after all, iPad 1 can handle most 1080p.

I agree. I hope it will play everything. And I hope the USB adaptor works to the point we can just hook up USB HDs to the thing and play 1080p mkvs on our TVs, but I will wait before I get too excited.

Quote:Is 4.3 jailbreaked yet?

http://3anime.com/pwnagetool-ios-4-3-gm-...eased/2718

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
iPad 2: Will XBMC be your reason for buying.0