XBMC 10.1 won't start in w7
Sad 
Loaded XBMC 10.1 on a W7 Machine and it won't start. An Icon shows in the quick launch bar on the bottom and when I click it I see something start up quickly but it disappears off the screen in under a second. I looked in Start All Programs but it doesn't show up as a program and in control panel programs its not listed - Im looking for something called xbmc.
redownload it and install it.
I've downloaded it twice now and reinstalled it twice with the same error. I have 64 bit windows 7 and if I right click the icon to close it it comes back with a error .....its location and in the error box >> the parameter is incorrect while it closes.
It does work under 64 bit Windows 7. Are you installing a nightly version or the 10.1 release version? If it is not showing up in control panels/programs then I would think it is not installing properly. Are you installing under a restricted account?
im having the same issue, when i click on it from the start menu the thinking spinner comes up and then windows asks me if i want to allow XBMC to make changes to the computer. i say yes then it does nothing. shortly after that my computer locks up and i have to hard reboot. same OS W7 64bit. ive got the 1GB GDDR5 Radeon HD 6770M
Have you updated your Radeon drivers? Did you do a full install? What version of XBMC are you using?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=790677&postcount=4

JR
kricker Wrote:Have you updated your Radeon drivers? Did you do a full install? What version of XBMC are you using?

the computer is brand new. i just got it 2 days ago. running the latest stable release 10.1
Then do as jhsrennie suggests. And post the log for review.
kricker Wrote:Then do as jhsrennie suggests. And post the log for review.

just tried the above instructions, i got the first part to work but when i try and run the .log command i get an error. "windows cannot find user C:\users\austin' make sure you have typed the name correctly and try again.

running %appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log

also note that whenever i try to run XBMC it renders my computer usless until i hard restart. if i try and use firefox or anything else it just sits there and does nothing. if i try and normal restart my computer will sit in the "windows is shutting down" screen forever.
Okay hold up. So if from a clean boot you try to run firefox or any other app it does nothing?
austin713 Wrote:just tried the above instructions, i got the first part to work but when i try and run the .log command i get an error. "windows cannot find user C:\users\austin' make sure you have typed the name correctly and try again.

running %appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log

also note that whenever i try to run XBMC it renders my computer usless until i hard restart. if i try and use firefox or anything else it just sits there and does nothing. if i try and normal restart my computer will sit in the "windows is shutting down" screen forever.

Ah, you probably have a space in the username. Try putting the Run command in quotes i.e.

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

JR
kricker Wrote:Okay hold up. So if from a clean boot you try to run firefox or any other app it does nothing?

everything opens fine if i havent tried to run XBMC. once i try and run it is when everything stops working
Okay. I was thinking that is what you meant. I just wanted to clarify. Did you try jhsrennie's latest suggestion?
ok for some reason for a stroke of luck it has all the sudden started letting me in. for some reason now it is not letting me play anything. here is the log

http://pastebin.com/TeM4BNqq

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 10.1 won't start in w70