[ATV] Library Mode
Hey guys, I just switched from an ATV2 to the ATV (gen 1), in hopes of getting 1080p (once my crystal HD card gets here) and using features that aren't activated on the ATV2.

Anyway, I had some trouble getting my SMB shares to show up (which worked perfectly on the ATV2), so I download TVersity and used UPnP. The share appeared in the list and set up just fine. I can browse through the directory structure of the share and play my movies/tv shows fine, but can't switch into library mode or even get the library to scan in the "new" content.

What's wrong? Does this have anything to do with the fact that I transcoded all of my media for the ATV2? It shouldn't, since the scrapers should be looking at the folder names.

Help?
Curious why you gave up on SMB. Thats the most stable way to connect to your video library.

Sort of curious by what you mean by "show up" as well. Really you have to enter the correct SMB file path under XBMC's Video>Add Source dialog and it either connects or it doesn't. Its not a "browse" kind of interface.

The downside of UPnP is its often hard to tell if its your UPnP server software that is flaking or the XBMC client. With SMB if you computer can see the share, XBMC will find it as well, provided you enter the correct file path i.e. "smb://name-of-device-or-ip-of-device/volume-name/folder-name".

My first instinct is to say revisit SMB, which should work a little more reliably than UPnP, and trouble shoot that first.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Con..._PC_Shares

check the link in my sig its a video to download that shows how to make sure your computer is on a home network vs a business network, have you looked to make sure that everyone is listed in your share groups? as a super fall back to get into the shares you can set up a share using the ip address of the location of your media.

If the problem continues could you please post a debug log via pasetebin so we can see what is going on?
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
Most definitely. First thing I'll do is give SMB another try. I assumed it wasn't working because the ATV2 would find it in "browse" mode fine. Odd that it shows up in Boxee when browsing, but not in XBMC (I prefer XBMC over Boxee though).

I'll have to play around with the pathname a bit. I'm not very familiar with the naming conventions.

Thanks
As an aside - One advantage to adding SMB sources manually is that if you have your content sorted between TV Shows and Movies, you can add each folder individually as a source to XBMC and only apply the appropriate scraper for each - even if they are on the same share. A handy organizational trick you would miss if you just added the whole drive/share. Also I don't like letting the scraper mess with recent downloads in my Downloads folder till I have a chance to prime the file name for sucesful scraping. There are all kinds of wacky naming conventions on the internets.
Bizarre. All I did was retry browsing for the SMB shares and there they were.

I'm telling you I tried several times this morning and the list was empty. I'm not crazy Smile

Anyway, It's working great now, thanks!

I will search for this on my own, but if anybody'd like to point me to a link that will help me set a skin that isn't available in the list in XBMC (Rapier), I'd appreciate it! (Windows 7)
Quote:As an aside - One advantage to adding SMB sources manually is that if you have your content sorted between TV Shows and Movies, you can add each folder individually as a source to XBMC and only apply the appropriate scraper for each - even if they are on the same share. A handy organizational trick you would miss if you just added the whole drive/share. Also I don't like letting the scraper mess with recent downloads in my Downloads folder till I have a chance to prime the file name for sucesful scraping. There are all kinds of wacky naming conventions on the internets.

I am using two separate shares. I name the files properly as I move them into the shares, so it's all good Smile
stigma Wrote:Bizarre. All I did was retry browsing for the SMB shares and there they were.

I'm telling you I tried several times this morning and the list was empty. I'm not crazy Smile

Anyway, It's working great now, thanks!

I will search for this on my own, but if anybody'd like to point me to a link that will help me set a skin that isn't available in the list in XBMC (Rapier), I'd appreciate it! (Windows 7)

I've had that happen to me as well, sometimes this stuff can just be down right quirky...glad things worked out for you.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV] Library Mode0