Hard Drive RPMs - Does it Matter?
My HTPC currently has 7200RPMs drives. I was wondering if there would be a problem with playback of x264 1080p files using a 5400RPM drive. Thanks
Hiethen Wrote:My HTPC currently has 7200RPMs drives. I was wondering if there would be a problem with playback of x264 1080p files using a 5400RPM drive. Thanks
No. You'd want a faster drive for an OS though.
xecutionx Wrote:No. You'd want a faster drive for an OS though.

Well, in the case of Windows 7 Ultimate, would it matter much??
listen to what xecutionx said,,,
a 5400rpm drive is ok for Hi-Def playback,,,

For your OS, you want something Faster...
Either a 7200rpm drive or my favorite --> an SSD Tongue
Hiethen Wrote:Well, in the case of Windows 7 Ultimate, would it matter much??

Yep, big difference. If a SSD isn't in your budget, get a smaller 7200rpm sata drive. If all your doing is running xbmc on windows 7, and can afford it, all you'll need is a 30gb ssd (check out the links in eskro's sig).

Most of the 5400rpm drives are green drives and they conserve less power. 5400rpm drives are also cheaper Smile
Third'd. Considering a lot of people stream 1080p content over ethernet, a 'green' harddrive isn't going to be a bottleneck. In fact, most people choose them for the reduction in noise, heat and power usage.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
green drives are great for storage,,,
My HTPC case can only hold three hard drives and that is without a DVD player, and it has two 1.5TB drives and a one 1TB. I was considering 5400RPM drives of 2TBs as upgrades since they are cheaper. While I don't stream my 1080p files and don't have any plans on doing it, I don't have a problem having one 7200RPM drive for the OS. Thanks for all the replies. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hard Drive RPMs - Does it Matter?0