[WIN ]Just about to make the following purchases (first proper HTPC - very excited!)
Can anyone see anything horrendously wrong with the following spec:

All my media is stored on a server and accessible via a gigabit LAN so I don't need any hard disks other than the SSD. And yes, I'm aware the case is £10... it's going to be hidden behind the TV and very rarely accessed so I don't care about the quality.

I've also purchased a Hauppauge WinTV-Nova separately... can anyone spot any mistakes or alternatives that I should consider?
Only thing I see is that HSF might not fit in that case.

poofyhairguy Wrote:Only thing I see is that HSF might not fit in that case.

Google says that case is a mid-tower case, W=185mm. The freezer pro isn't that big.

The only problem I can see is that you're ordering from eBuyer Laugh

That gigabit switch is a steal, nice find.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
numb7rs Wrote:Google says that case is a mid-tower case, W=185mm. The freezer pro isn't that big.

The only problem I can see is that you're ordering from eBuyer Laugh

That gigabit switch is a steal, nice find.

thanks!

what's wrong with ebuyer, just out of interest?
the speakers maybe?? I'd get something a bit nicer, from a more reputable brand.
PatrickVogeli Wrote:the speakers maybe?? I'd get something a bit nicer, from a more reputable brand.

they're sold out now anyway.

the usual price for them is £60ish and all the reviews said that they sound like a set of £100+ speakers so at the price ebuyer was selling them for it was a steal.

but yeah, they were never going to be THX approved lol

any comments on the pc components I've chosen... any known problems with the mobo, ram, cpu, video card, etc?
would not get a 210 card get at least a 220GT. I've got a 210 and im not happy with it.
djashjones Wrote:would not get a 210 card get at least a 220GT. I've got a 210 and im not happy with it.

can I ask why that is? bare in mind that I'll only be using this card to watch films and play music in xbmc and occasional web browsing (flash based video possibly). There absolutely won't be any games or anything 3d-related installed on this pc.

will a 210 be a bottleneck for xbmc with the above requirements?
MiL0 Wrote:can I ask why that is? bare in mind that I'll only be using this card to watch films and play music in xbmc and occasional web browsing (flash based video possibly). There absolutely won't be any games or anything 3d-related installed on this pc.

will a 210 be a bottleneck for xbmc with the above requirements?

Im not 100% sure. On some movies i notice a very slight slo-mo kinda action going on. I posted a debug log and looked at the media info and everyone said they could not see anything wrong (win 7). It does it with most media types also it did it on linux. too Huh

Like you i use mine for watching tv and movies.
djashjones Wrote:Im not 100% sure. On some movies i notice a very slight slo-mo kinda action going on. I posted a debug log and looked at the media info and everyone said they could not see anything wrong (win 7). It does it with most media types also it did it on linux. too Huh

Like you i use mine for watching tv and movies.

what's your processor speed and ram? is your hard disk fast enough?
2.0GHz intel duo 2GB DDR3, 500gb 7200rpm with a new asus Asus P5G41T-M/USB3 motherboard
djashjones Wrote:2.0GHz intel duo 2GB DDR3, 500gb 7200rpm with a new asus Asus P5G41T-M/USB3 motherboard

I'd say your CPU is pretty underpowered by todays standards.

I have a Core2Duo 2.0ghz laptop that struggles with HD content in XBMC.

I think I'm going to give the 210 a shot - if it struggles I'll just stick it in my main pc (which I only use for music production and internet) and pick up something faster for the xbmc box.
not at all the GPU is doing all the processing. watching a HD movie my CPU is less than 10%

go for it. will be interesting to see what your results are like
djashjones Wrote:not at all the GPU is doing all the processing. watching a HD movie my CPU is less than 10%

go for it. will be interesting to see what your results are like

well in that case, I think I'll get a better graphics card! thanks for the heads up Smile
The GT210 should be sufficient for full HD movies. I don't know what problems you're having djashjones, but the GT210 is recommended by the top hardware people here. I don't think they'd do that if there were common issues with it.

Ebuyer's great for ordering dirt cheap stuff that you don't mind getting a week later than they say. I guess I've just been messed around by them once too many, and now mostly use places like Scan or Aria.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIN ]Just about to make the following purchases (first proper HTPC - very excited!)0