best version of XBMC for Acer Revo 1600
I have been running XBMC for years on my original XBOX until it recently went up in smoke.

I recently purchased an Acer Revo 1600 and I see that there has been a ton of information posted here over the last couple of years on how to squeeze the most out of this little box.

I have seen postings of people running every OS you can think of on the 1600.

But as of today, what is the OS and version of XBMC to use with the 1600 to get the most out of it?

I found a pretty good setup for XBMC Live here but I want to make sure that this is the best way to go before I begin down that road.

Some of the things I would like to be able to play are 1080p video files , HD Youtube and Netflix
I can't remember if Netflix is supported on Linux. Apart from this XBMC Live is certainly the quickest and easiest solution. Windows 7 will work fine on a Revo 1600; I've used it on a Revo 3600, which is very similar to the 1600. XBMC will work as well as it does on Linux/Live, but the operating system will be noticably slower to start up.

JR
I use this,At the XBMC Live boot menu select the Install to HDD option. You’ll then see the normal ubuntu command line installer and it’ll walk you through partitioning the drive, etc.
I've just installed openelec version of xbmc on my revo 3700 took next to no time to install boots in under 10 seconds and does everything I ask of it no tweeking needed
OpenELEC is the best solution yet for lower spec mini pc's
Yep if your coming from Xbox... I was and still use my Xbox regularly to, then to get the feel of the ol'xbox I thoroughly recommend OpenElec.

Boots almost as quick, has that appliance feel the xbox has and like the xbox everything worked out of the box!

http://www.xbmcboxes.com/howto-create-a-...installer/

Remote is the only shag... I use my Andriod mobile which is great!
+1 OpenELEC!
Netflix is only supported in Windows and OSX, as it requires Sliverlight to play.
Then should I do some sort of a dual boot setup to play Netflix on Windows and xbmc live or OpenELEC for other files?
Or is windows 7 xbmc playback of 1080p just as good as OpenELEC or LIVE on the Revo 1600?
Playback is just as good. Some argue that XBMC runs smoother on the Linux derivatives, but playback should be exactly the same. Now, before you go out and buy a copy of Win7, you should probably check out the XBMC Flicks thread, to make sure that addon is currently working.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=87552
I suppose that even if the XBMC Flicks isn't working I could still watch netflix on a browser.
Windows install would also let me play some games.

If I go with the Windows 7 install how much ram would i need for smooth playback?
2 gbs is invariably the recommendation for playback, whether in Windows or in Linux.
I found an old post that said in order to get dx10 in windows I would need to open the NV_DISP.inf file and change:

Quote:%NVIDIA_DEV.0876.01% = Section020, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0876
%NVIDIA_DEV.087F.01% = Section022, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_087F
to
Quote:%NVIDIA_DEV.0876.01% = Section020, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0876
%NVIDIA_DEV.087F.01% = Section020, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_087F

Is this still considered the best way to deal with the crippled video drivers?
Um...? Probably not. Generally speaking, you shouldn't mess with drivers unless you know exactly what you are doing and why you are doing it. If you've updated your drivers to their most recent version available online and everything appears to work, then you are done.
The Ion LE chipset seems to have been artificially crippled by NVIDIA themselves.
By doing the hack that I mentioned you can enable the full power of the ION chipset and do Direct X 10 in windows 7.
You can read about it:

http://www.slashgear.com/nvidia-ion-le-directx-10-hack-suggests-purposefully-crippled-features-2962210/

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showth...p?t=112367

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
best version of XBMC for Acer Revo 16000