16-235 output?
Hi,

Right, after a weekend off from setting up my xbmc I've now come back to it Smile

Here's my issue, my pc outputs 0-255 levels (as does my lcd) and I use mpc-hc and coreavc to watch movies...

I set coreavc to tv input and tv output levels and then set my nvidia gfx (ion) to 0-255 to convert the end product to pc levels.

This gives me perfect full rgb levels for pc viewing, and movies expanded when they are launched too.. Meaning I have no configuration to make between pc and tv viewing what so ever..

However.. When I launch xbmc it seems to play Content that is washed out and I am required to switch either my tv or my ion to 16-235 ... Which id rather not do...

Is there any way I can set the xbmc media player to either 0-255 or 16-235 as it appears that all content is washed out and I can't change my setting otherwise my movie watching in mpc-hc will then be washed out ...

Any help, advice or pointers Smile
Which operating system are you using?
bobo1on1 Wrote:Which operating system are you using?

Hi,

I'm on xp at the mo...

Basically, my pc is setup and configured for mpc-hc and the xp desktop... I have everything set to function at full rgb and get my video card to extend the video to pc leves when required... meaning I get perfect video and pc levels without having to change any settings on any device...

But xbmc is outputting either pclevels when streaming or 16-235 as it causing the screen to looked washed out and I'm having to change my tv levels to "low" which is the tv's 16-235 levels.

Any advice you can offer would be great..

Xbmx 10.1
Xp
Nvidia ion

The Problem is only apparent in xbmc playing/streaming content in it's internal player and if you can help I'd be really appreciative.

Cheers,
XBMC can't output 16-235, it always renders at 0-255 levels assuming you leave the brightness and contrast controls at their default setting, the problem is at your end somewhere.
If you have DXVA turn on in XBMC, try turning it off, if it makes a difference start checking settings in the nvidia control panel.
bobo1on1 Wrote:XBMC can't output 16-235, it always renders at 0-255 levels assuming you leave the brightness and contrast controls at their default setting, the problem is at your end somewhere.
If you have DXVA turn on in XBMC, try turning it off, if it makes a difference start checking settings in the nvidia control panel.

Yea the problem is I'm viewing 16-235 content on the iplayer and xbmx is outputting 0-255 and this is causing incorrect colours.. On coreavc I can chose my output levels and can therefore correct the issue but I can't find an xbmc option to correct it..

Also, I don't think xp has dxva support for xbmx? I thought that was a windows 7 feature?

As I mentioned I can correct the issue by changing my pc levels and/or my tv levels but surly that's not a fix? As by doing that my entire pc becomes incorrect in terms of it's levels.

Can I not tell xbmx (just like ffdshow/coreavc/mpc-hc etc...) to change it's output levels?

If not... can I get xbmc to stop streaming content in it's internal player and pass them to mpc-hc? As it outputs colours correctly for my setup.

I've already posted a copy of my script that i use for my external player, but no one replied on how to configure it correctly... I have it set up to play all my local content, but xbmc doesn't pass streams to mpc- for some reason?

Also,
Is this really a windows specific issue? Surly it's a generic question about changing player levels within xbmcs internal player and has very little to do with windows or OS?

As I can change levels in any and every other codec and player.. And would that not mean that ALL my issues are windows specific as I'm a windows user?

Here is a link to the post after mine which is regarding the file structure of where plugins are stored... This is clearly an os specific thread yet you let that one stay?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=99447

This is clearly a os specific post as the file structure for each os is different meaning the question is specific to that os as each os will store files in different location?

However this is left in the general section?
My question was regarding the internal shaders of xbmcs internal player?

I'm not havig a go, just confused as I think I am posting in the right sections and just wanna get it clear in my own head?

Cheers for the reply and hope you can help find a solution.. Big Grin
Bobo, it should be quite easy to do shaders based level correction. Am I wrong.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
ashlar Wrote:Bobo, it should be quite easy to do shaders based level correction. Am I wrong.

I'd have thought so too? All my streamed content is expanded as tv broadcast content is 16-235 so it appears washed out when viewed using xbmc as, as bobo says, it only outputs 0-255? That seems a tad bizarre surly?

I can change my output on my tv manually every time I use xbmc but thats not really a solution? And I can change my pc levels, but that would cause everything on my pc to have incorrect levels as it's a pc and is designed to output 0-255 to my 0-255 monitor.

If xbmx cant do shaders could someone look at my script and help me get my streaming content out of xbmc and into mpc-hc as it supports tv levels and shaders etc?

My external player script is posted in general help, I'll find it and pop s link in here in a mo Smile

Update...
Here is my script that I use to launch media in mpc-hc...
Can anyone help me get my streaming content out of xbmc as it's expanding my tv levels and causing washed out colours Sad

Code:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
   <player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="true">
     <filename>D:\Portable Apps\mpc-homecinema.1.5.2.2969_(x86)_msvc2010-be\MPC-Homecinema.1.5.2.2969_(x86)_MSVC2010-BE\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
   </player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
   <rule filetypes="mkv|avi|mp4|mpg|mpeg|mov|hdmov|flv|vob" player="MPC-HC"/>
</rules>

<rules name="system rules">
    <rule name="rtv" protocols="rtv" player="DVDPlayer" />
    <rule name="hdhomerun/myth/rtmp/mms/udp" protocols="hdhomerun|myth|cmyth|rtmp|mms|mmsh|udp" player="DVDPlayer" />
    <rule name="lastfm/shout" protocols="lastfm|shout" player="PAPlayer" />

<!-- dvdplayer can play standard rtsp streams -->
    <rule name="rtsp" protocols="rtsp" filetypes="!(rm|ra)"  player="PAPlayer" />

<!-- Internet streams -->
    <rule name="streams" internetstream="true">
      <rule name="flv/aacp/sdp" mimetypes="video/x-flv|video-flv|audio/aacp|application/sdp" player="DVDPlayer" />
      <rule name="mp2" mimetypes="application/octet-stream" filetypes="mp2" player="PAPlayer" />
    </rule>

<!-- DVDs -->
    <rule name="dvd" dvd="true" player="videodefaultdvdplayer" />
    <rule name="dvdfile" dvdfile="true" player="videodefaultdvdplayer" />
    <rule name="dvdimage" dvdimage="true" player="videodefaultdvdplayer" />

<!-- Only dvdplayer can handle these normally -->
    <rule name="sdp/asf" filetypes="sdp|asf" player="DVDPlayer" />

<!-- Pass these to dvdplayer as we do not know if they are audio or video -->
    <rule name="nsv" filetypes="nsv" player="DVDPlayer" />
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>
ashlar Wrote:Bobo, it should be quite easy to do shaders based level correction. Am I wrong.

It can even be done without shaders, it's quite simple.
bobo1on1 Wrote:It can even be done without shaders, it's quite simple.

Care to elaborate? That was kinda the point of the post Big Grin

I'm confused now though, didn't you say xbmc couldn't do 16-235 and only renders in 0-255? Now your saying it's easy, but won't tell me how lol Smile
It's easy to code, it's not a native function of XBMC currently.
The nvidia drivers can also do the conversion just fine though.

But the problem you're having here is that something is doing the conversion, and you don't want it to.
bobo1on1 Wrote:It's easy to code, it's not a native function of XBMC currently.
The nvidia drivers can also do the conversion just fine though.

But the problem you're having here is that something is doing the conversion, and you don't want it to.

If it's easy can it be done and added to xbmc then?

Second, You said xbmc renders in 0-255 only so when I feed it iplayer (16-235) content it must (by that definition) expand the content to 0-255. Every other media player, game, movie etc works fine on my pc.

Mpc-hc
Games
Ffdshow
Coreavc
Vlc
Air video
YouTube and browser etc
ITunes
Live tv
TVCatchup in browser

Items that render incorrectly
Xbmc

If I launch iplayer online it renders correctly, if I watch the same stream at the same time in xbmc it is washed out and it's levels are incorrect (test done on the same pc at exactly the same time) the same is said for launching in mpc-hc it too renders correctly and the same stream in xbmc is washed out?

My pc is outputting 0-255 as it should (full rgb) as it's a pc... Video is converted to match those levels (coreave,ffdshow,mcp-hc etc) all play content in 16-235 and they pass the unconverted yv12 video to the renderer (evrcustom) which renders in 0-255 as does my gpu (by default as it's a pc) and therefore the render expands those colours to match the 0-255 I'm outputting, which results in rich blacks...

The only exception this is xbmc?

All direct show filters / players etc do not omit this issue?

If it's easy can you code it for me? Or for others experiencing similar issues?

Or can you look at my script and tell me how to get all my content and streams to launch externally as this will resolve my issue for the time being? My script is above...

Cheers Smile
Does anything besides iplayer streams render ok?
bobo1on1 Wrote:Does anything besides iplayer streams render ok?

Yea, it seems to be mainly iplayer... The standard streaming trailers for movies are fine (just checked nightmare on elm street and its fine, albiet the wrong trailer...) revision 3 and ted are touch and go too as some of that content is faded and washed out?

They work perfectly outside xbmc though, that's my issue? Stream the F1 in xbmc then stream via mpc-hc or a browser and the difference is night and day.

what about my script? Any ideas?

Cheers Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
16-235 output?0