Acer Revo 3700 random stuttering
XBMC noob - be gentle.

History;
Just got a new Acer Revo3700 with Windows Home Premium.

Removed the bulk of the bloatware and installed XBMC for the first time. Got annoyed at setting my scrapper for movies at the wrong folder level and ended up uninstalling it to get rid of the fanart etc (noob Huh )

Re-installed, but then couldn't find the smb shares on my NAS that I could before. No big deal, tracked them down manually and added the right user IDs. All gravy.

Scappers are great and the XBMC experience is good, until it comes to playing the movies.

Hardware
Acer Revo 3700 Windows HP x64, ION Chipset
Netgear W3700 Dual band Wireless router
NAS Synology 210j (Hitachi Deskstars)
Sony HX7 (?) 46" Bravia

Problem;
At random time intervals I get a few seconds stuttering when, if you didn't know any better, it would look like an old school internet movie buffering stutter as it pulls down the rest of the movie.

It happens about 4 - 5 times during a 2hr movie.

My NAS and Revo are connected over 2.4Ghz wireless and I know for a fact it can pull down at ~2MB/s which will stream (in the real world) about 1GB every 10 - 15 minutes or so (the movie was only 1.3GB.)

So, i've hunted the forums and found references to stuttering on Windows, but from years back, with no real solutions.

I'm happy to poke, prod, tick and edit as any guru sees fit, but may I ask that if the "sub contrast widget encoder" needs to be altered, you treat a noob gently and explain where it is Eek

Plan of attack;
Raise a post in the forums and see if anyone else is having trouble and hope for replies.

Close down my XBMC instance and remove the Aero setting from the shortcut.

Try an FTP (can't remember if you can) connection to my NAS source files.

Wait and install my new 5Ghz wireless dongle to have one way traffic over 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless.
If I had to guess, I'd say your wireless connection is dropping randomly a couple times an hour. These types of issues are not only difficult to troubleshoot, but the fixes are hit or miss at best.

I had a similar issue, so I went and bought a 2T2R wireless USB NIC. The NIC that comes with the 3700 is only 1T1R. I didn't buy this because I needed more bandwidth, I did it because it added another wireless transmitter and receiver to the box. Because wireless is unstable generally, this seems to offer a bit of redundancy for when the wireless periodically drops. Since I bought it, the box is rock solid -- even for watching 15 GB 1080p movies over wireless.

Here's the wireless NIC I bought.
Even though you think your wireless is ok you should definitely try over LAN just to rule out as my experience wireless speed is never a constant even if you have it set that way

BTW you can set any folder level in movies you just need to enable "scan recursively"
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer Revo 3700 random stuttering0