AC3 5.1 random audio skips
Hi...

I have a vast collection of movies. MKV files and 90% are DTS soundtracks. The others are either MP3 stereo or AC3 5.1.

I have a strange issue when playing Dolby Digital (AC3 5.1). The display doesn't skip frames or anything, but the sound skips for a split second randomly. The soundtrack in the file is not the problem, because if I track back to hear the portion that skipped in the movie, it will not skip in the same place, it will play fine, but skip somewhere else.

All my movies that have DTS soundtracks play flawlessly.

I have my TV connected via HDMI (audio disabled).
My receiver is a Sony (Dolby digital/DTS/Pro logic) connected via Toslink cable.

XBMC is properly set to play via digital 5.1.

If I play the same movies with PS3 media server and my PS3, the movies won't skip.

Thanks again for the help. Hope some day I can help someone else out, when I'm a bit more seasoned in the XBMC world.
I was having similar issues with MKV DD5.1, but was also experiencing this issue with DTS audio.

I found that the network adapter in my HTPC had a setting for Green Networking in the advanced properties, enabled by default. Disabling this appears to have resolved the issue for me.
Thanks for the reply...

Network card you say!?!?! Hmmm... seems weird, since I'm not doing no kind of file transfer or streaming over the network...

My files are stored locally in the HTPC. But, Let me give it a try, see if that works.

I'll reply back with results. Thanks.
No Dice...

I've fiddled around with drivers (updated network card and audio drivers). Still the same thing.

I just got a new receiver (my receiver was 8 years old). And it wasn't the receiver.

If anyone else has any suggestions, it will be appreciated, because this sucks.
Huh Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what steps I need to take in order to troubleshoot this issue.

It seems to not be limited by only AC3 soundtracks. I've now discovered 1 of my DTS 5.1 movies has a skip (slightly less noticeable) every minute or so.

Should I play around with the codec settings in my PC? Don't know.

Anyone, please help Sad
Hola,

Maybe this has something to do with the syncronization of the refresh rate to the video that makes "jumps" or repeat the audio. I'm having the same issue.

Adiós.
Well... I've tried all type of configuration combination in the setting in XBMC and nothing seems to work.

It's way more noticeable in AC3 soundtracks. DTS happens on some movies and it's almost not noticeable.

Sucks.
Anyways... I should of done this, sorry for not including it.

XBMC version 10.1
CPU: Pentium Duo Core 2 (2.8ghz)
RAM 3gb DDR2
Video Card: NVidia Geforce 9600 GT 1gb Ram
Soundcard: Intergrated Realtek HD (optical cable used)

Thanks again...
got a similar problem here.

my hardware: HP N36L Microserver with ATI HD5450(=video+soundcard), yamaha RX-V659 av-receiver
my software: windows home server 2011, xbmc dharma

for me there are also skips using dolby digital 5.1 tracks.

i was watching transformers 2 dvd yesterday, using my LG bluray drive and selecting the dolby digital 5.1 track in dvd menu.
during movie playback i got pretty much the same issue like you described in your first post.
The display doesn't skip frames or anything, but the sound skips for a split second randomly. i also recognized that when such a sound skip happens is disappearing the dolby digital text on my av receiver for a split second. so i guess it is loosing the dd signal for this short period of time respectively xbmc shortly stops sending the audio signal to the av receiver.

will do more testing later this week.
can't test dts tracks until i get my new hdmi av receiver... (should happen on friday)
hi guys,

got my new hdmi av receiver and plugged it into my system instead of my old yamaha rx-v659, which was plugged in through coax cable onto my tv.

i changed my av receiver, because my tv doesn't support DTS passthrough.

now all components are wired together through HDMI.

AND NOW IT WORKS ! Smile

i inserted transformers 2 dvd and watched it again and no single sound skip happend during playback.

so for me the problem got solved because of changing all connections to HDMI.

best greetz
I think my issue had to do with the sound chip on my motherboard.

Some people noticed that when it got "hot" it did the skipping thing.

I noticed that it only happened when the PC was on for some time. I installed a Sound Blaster Live that I had in a box, and Skipping is no more.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AC3 5.1 random audio skips0