Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: why hasn't anyone mentioned flirc?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
ordered 2 of them Cool
I've been unable to make any other progress on the firmware because of this occasional sleep issue that is effecting a small amount of users. The problem is, I can't reproduce this, and it's killing me.

For those experiencing the issue, I'm calling out for help: http://blog.flirc.tv/?p=243

Hoping to finally put the nail in this coffin so I can finish the promised firmware features.

Thanks all in advance.

Sincerely,
Jason
Got mine a few days ago and it's working great. I'm using a harmony and bought several mce remote recievers over the years - but this is so much better and easier.

One question though: any tipps which device I should "simulate" with my harmony? At the moment I'm using some kind of samsung blu-ray player which works great but the scrolling is way too fast.
friedi Wrote:Got mine a few days ago and it's working great. I'm using a harmony and bought several mce remote recievers over the years - but this is so much better and easier.

One question though: any tipps which device I should "simulate" with my harmony? At the moment I'm using some kind of samsung blu-ray player which works great but the scrolling is way too fast.

I am using Plex/Plex Player find it under computers.
it is working great for me..
although, I have changed the keyboard.xml file a bit, to accomplish some shortcuts I wanted, and because the remote also needs to work with MCE.
but that's another story. Smile

When I am completely done with everything, I might post my story, and files, so that others don't need to spend the same amount of time, doing the same..
mcnovy Wrote:When I am completely done with everything, I might post my story, and files, so that others don't need to spend the same amount of time, doing the same..

That would be absolutely awesome Big Grin
mcnovy Wrote:I am using Plex/Plex Player find it under computers.
it is working great for me..
although, I have changed the keyboard.xml file a bit, to accomplish some shortcuts I wanted, and because the remote also needs to work with MCE.
but that's another story. Smile

When I am completely done with everything, I might post my story, and files, so that others don't need to spend the same amount of time, doing the same..

Hi, i am also using Plex/Plex Player with my Harmony One + flirc and its working fine.

only 4 things here to mention:

a:
when i quickly press some keys, it's acting rather slow. i.e. i'm pressing left,left,left,OK within about a second, all keys are recognized right, but it takes about 3sec till OK is executed and with every added key press its taking longer and longer ...
so the presses are not happening in realtime although i set response time for Plex Player in harmony suite to 0ms.
b:
hope long keypress support comes soon, cause scrolling is pretty bad with no long presses recognized Wink
c:
how can i achieve it to start xbmc with one button with my combo (harmony as plex player+flirc)
d:
would love it if in future a little upgradekit will be released for flirc which will allow users to power on their htpcs. (something like this )

i also want to mention here that i've never set up my system so easy and fast as with flirc. Cool
if there are solutions for the 4 things above imho flirc will truly be the best receiver you can buy. Cool
Interesting ... I'm just looking at the package dependencies and it doesn't seem to be dependant on Lirc and hence living up to the expectations of being a Lirc replacement.

Is there a super quick start guide anywhere ?
Subliminal Aura Wrote:Is there a super quick start guide anywhere ?

maybe here (scroll down to bottom)
QLink Wrote:maybe here (scroll down to bottom)

Thanksfor that, not quite what I'm looking for - looking for something for linux.

Not to worry I'll take it for a spin later
QLink Wrote:Hi, i am also using Plex/Plex Player with my Harmony One + flirc and its working fine.

only 4 things here to mention:

a:
when i quickly press some keys, it's acting rather slow. i.e. i'm pressing left,left,left,OK within about a second, all keys are recognized right, but it takes about 3sec till OK is executed and with every added key press its taking longer and longer ...
so the presses are not happening in realtime although i set response time for Plex Player in harmony suite to 0ms.
b:
hope long keypress support comes soon, cause scrolling is pretty bad with no long presses recognized Wink
c:
how can i achieve it to start xbmc with one button with my combo (harmony as plex player+flirc)
d:
would love it if in future a little upgradekit will be released for flirc which will allow users to power on their htpcs. (something like this )

i also want to mention here that i've never set up my system so easy and fast as with flirc. Cool
if there are solutions for the 4 things above imho flirc will truly be the best receiver you can buy. Cool

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Here are some answers to your questions/concerns:

A) This is an adjustable setting in the harmony one software. It's called, inter-key delay. It is not adjustable in the cheaper models 300/300i (why I returned it), but adjustable in the harmony one series.

B) Long presses? Do you mean when you hold down the button, the repeat signals don't get recognized? If so, yes, I do plan on getting to this fairly soon. I just fixed a huge hard to find bug that I have been working on for 3 months: http://blog.flirc.tv/?p=243. The firmware and software will start maturing more quickly now.

C) Depends on what os you are using. You are using Plex, so OSX? Or have they released a player? If OSX, I put together a blog article on this: http://blog.flirc.tv/?cat=11 You can use an application launcher. Although, my pictures seemed to have disappeared. I will update the blog article later this week.

4) I'm not sure how that products powers the PC via USB, but I imagine it can wake it up while in sleep? If so, that's another one that will soon make it's way into the firmware. Computers, especially Apple's, are amazingly efficient while in sleep. Power cost is completely negligible, your TV in the off state uses more power.

Hope that answers your question. My blog will have all the announcements for these new software and firmware features.

-- Jason
Subliminal Aura Wrote:Interesting ... I'm just looking at the package dependencies and it doesn't seem to be dependant on Lirc and hence living up to the expectations of being a Lirc replacement.

Is there a super quick start guide anywhere ?

Yes, it certainly isn't a dependency. It's a new take where your remote will be converted to keyboard presses. This minimizes the dependence for software solutions to add support for the hardware, since all those solutions already support keyboards.
@jason

a: oh kk thx4info, will try that when i get home today

b: yeah that's what i meant sry for my bad english Rolleyes glad to hear it will be supported soon

c: no i'm using whs2011 and configured my harmony one to act as a plex player remote, so i guess there must be an explicit player out there.
so i guess i have to install a separate app launcher program to get xbmc started with my remote right ? there is no way to get this working
just with flirc software, harmony software and xbmc.

d: in my understanding you can definitly power on the pc with this method cause he is writing in his guide things like:

"Now we have several ways to connect these two poles of the opto coupler parallel to the power button,
whereby I would like to specify a few …
- The simplest method would be to be put the two poles from top into the socket of the power Button cable and
fix the cable e.g. with some tape or a cable strap.
- Or we take off the 2-pole plug from the power button, put then from downside the two very thin wires
of the cable into the socket and put that together to the Mainboard.
- Or we solder the two cable ends to the 2-pole plug of chassis power button.
- Or we solder the two cable ends directly to the front power button.
"

wake up on sleep would be sure a nice feature and i guess enough for most ppl, but really be able to power on the sys would surely be even better Wink
flirc then will allow users to do really everything they could expect from an irda receiver Cool
QLink Wrote:@jason

c: no i'm using whs2011 and configured my harmony one to act as a plex player remote, so i guess there must be an explicit player out there.
so i guess i have to install a separate app launcher program to get xbmc started with my remote right ? there is no way to get this working
just with flirc software, harmony software and xbmc.

so you want to be able to startup XBMC with a shortcut, rather than have it startup with windows.?
1. you can add a keyboard shortcut.. right click on the shortcut icon you have of XBMC on your desktop, and define a keyboard shortcut.
and have FLIRC sent that key combination when pressing the red key or what ever you like..

2. Eventghost. I haven't tried it yet, and do not know if it works with Flirc, but EventGhost is an advanced, easy to use and extensible automation tool for MS Windows. It can use different input devices like infrared or wireless remote controls to trigger macros, that on their part control a computer and its attached hardware. So it can be used to control a Media-PC with a normal consumer remote. But its possible uses go much beyond this. (taken from their website "google it")
lol

is it really as easy as that ? Eek

will also try this @Home today.

why do i always have to think so complicated when things are most of the time so simple Oo

anyways thanks for the advice...

concerning eventghost... i'm trying to keep things as simple as possible and eventghost is a mighty piece of software, but way to sophisticatedly for my needs Wink
I agree, eventghost is very comprehensive,
and I haven't tried it yet, but from what I read, it can give you large control of everything.
eg. a friend of mine is using Windows Medie Center, and from MCE, he has a shortcut to XBMC.
when launching XBMC, from MCE, everything is fine.. but when he exits XBMC, then MCE is not in focus, and therefor he needs to use a mouse, or keyboard to get MCE in focus.. not very user friendly, and not as smooth as you would want things to be..
Eventghost is the way to go for him I believe..

but.. that was a hole other topic..

hope that you can get your shortcut working.. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17