Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: why hasn't anyone mentioned flirc?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
@DR9x
If I were you... I would not expect the device to work without LOS. If the beam is capable of bouncing off the back of your cabinet, and interacting with the dongle, that is a plus. However, IR beams are not superman, and are not RF. Therefore, the safe bet is on LOS, anything else is simply gravy or exaggeration.
phoenix2000 Wrote:It is about time someone did this, exactly what I have been looking for in vain. Just ordered 2. Paypal is working, you just have to wait a minute or so. Got an email confirmation.

Jason, quick question after reading the whole thread. I am setting up an HTPC using Ubuntu 10.0 XBMC Live. That was basically effortless. Long story short, as I understand it, a PC sees the FLIRC as a generic keyboard. So if I program the FLIRC under Windows, I should be able to then plug it into my HTPC and not have to muck with Linux. Please say yes... Please say yes... fingers crossed. Rofl

Yes, exactly. You can program on one machine, and use on another with zero setup since the configuration is saved on the device.

I'm sorry for my delay.
DR9x Wrote:the op said he stuck it inside his case.

If i stuck this behind my case in a port and put it back in my media rack, will my remote even register?

Or do I have to run a usb extension cable from the back my case and route it under/front of my TV to get exposure?

LOS, or line of sight, is a bit of a precise description. Flirc is pretty sensitive, I don't use a traditional method which normal IR processors use to do signal translation. The end result is something which has pretty strong sensitivity.

'the op', stuck flirc inside the case, but put the sensor in front of a hole in his case. Mine for example, is plugged into my mac mini, which is behind my television, and the sensor is facing the wall. It still see's each button press.

But all that being said, you can't have flirc inside a closed cupboard. Light can bounce off walls, but still can't go through them. = )
On that note, your choice of remote will also affect your LOS results. For example the Logitech Harmony 880 has a big flat rectangular, I think, lithium battery. When I get new equipment with remotes, I use them for the initial setup and then the Grandkids get them, yes they have alot of them. Reason being, I can, in many cases, point the remote anywhere in the room, even at the opposite wall, and still control my devices. Meanwhile the original remote I would have to be 6 feet away pointing directly at the device to get results.
Seems like a nice thing to have. So I should be able to use it with my Panasonic remote (from my G25 Panny TV) right?
@Balinus, that's the idea. Any IR remote should do.

Received mine today Smile Order was placed last friday.
Too bad my Foxconn went RMA on me. Can't test it yet.
So I received my Flirc and was able to set it up with an old (2005) HP MCE remote I had in about 5 min. Every thing worked fine while I was doing testing and final setup of my XBMC. Now I seem to be having some issues with it working in XBMC. Some system details:

- AsRock e350M1 w/ Win7 Ultimate 32bit
- XBMC 10.1 running Rapier skin
- Remote is from a bundle I receved with my Media Center HP laptop in 2005
- Flirc plugged into 1m USB extension cable w/ clear LOS to remote

When I run the Flirc software in Windows I am able to map all the keys without issue. As soon as I open XBMC I get no response whatsoever to any remote key presses. This was all working perfect during my testing, now that I moved the HTPC to the living room I am having this issue.

Any ideas?
Has anyone try the vizio remote http://db.tt/31b3drx
http://db.tt/31b3drx
Patch22 Wrote:So I received my Flirc and was able to set it up with an old (2005) HP MCE remote I had in about 5 min. Every thing worked fine while I was doing testing and final setup of my XBMC. Now I seem to be having some issues with it working in XBMC. Some system details:

- AsRock e350M1 w/ Win7 Ultimate 32bit
- XBMC 10.1 running Rapier skin
- Remote is from a bundle I receved with my Media Center HP laptop in 2005
- Flirc plugged into 1m USB extension cable w/ clear LOS to remote

When I run the Flirc software in Windows I am able to map all the keys without issue. As soon as I open XBMC I get no response whatsoever to any remote key presses. This was all working perfect during my testing, now that I moved the HTPC to the living room I am having this issue.

Any ideas?

Sure, follow up with me email if this doesn't work. Sometimes windows is a bit quirky, still working on it. Close the software, plug, unplug flirc. Should fix it. I'm certain it's because of not closing the file handle correctly on windows, it doesn't come up every time, but I'll fix it.
jasonkotzin Wrote:Sure, follow up with me email if this doesn't work. Sometimes windows is a bit quirky, still working on it. Close the software, plug, unplug flirc. Should fix it. I'm certain it's because of not closing the file handle correctly on windows, it doesn't come up every time, but I'll fix it.

OK, that fixed the problem with XBMC, although I did have the same issue as a previous poster where I had to go reprogram the UP key. The issue I'm having now is that every movement requires 2 key presses. Similar to my previous issue, this was not happening during my testing but is consistently happening now.
I was able to program my tv remote to control xbmc and also to start it. But all my keypresses on the remote register as two keypresses on the computer. Like when I scroll down, it goes down two spots. I'm using firmware 0.9. I also tried programming the flirc for my apple remote and that worked flawlessly, except there are so few buttons I couldn't assign one to start xbmc. I know the dev of flirc has a mac mini, is there a way to program flirc to recognize the apple remote long presses to be a different function? But really I would like to know of a workaround for the double keypresses. I also have a MCE remote I could try to program, if there's no way to fix it
Patch22 Wrote:OK, that fixed the problem with XBMC, although I did have the same issue as a previous poster where I had to go reprogram the UP key. The issue I'm having now is that every movement requires 2 key presses. Similar to my previous issue, this was not happening during my testing but is consistently happening now.

I have fixed the bug which causes a key to be forgotten.

You can download that firmware image here:
http://downloads.flirc.tv/fw/fw_0.9.bin

Send me an email, we'll fix the issue that requires two key presses.
uncola Wrote:I was able to program my tv remote to control xbmc and also to start it. But all my keypresses on the remote register as two keypresses on the computer. Like when I scroll down, it goes down two spots. I'm using firmware 0.9. I also tried programming the flirc for my apple remote and that worked flawlessly, except there are so few buttons I couldn't assign one to start xbmc. I know the dev of flirc has a mac mini, is there a way to program flirc to recognize the apple remote long presses to be a different function? But really I would like to know of a workaround for the double keypresses. I also have a MCE remote I could try to program, if there's no way to fix it

Long presses will be supported soon. I'm trying to knock a bug out happening to a few users on 'suspend wakeup'.

Go ahead and send me an email via the site, we'll figure out why it's detecting two presses.

~Jason
Is there anything special one needs to do to get this receiver to wake a Windows (Win7 64 Ultimate) PC from Sleep? I know wake from USB works because I have a wireless keyboard that wakes the PC just fine, but no luck so far getting it to wake from a remote control button press.
Just placed an order for this little baby. (#1297)

I hope to get my videotron PVR remote working with it.

I have a question, I'm currently using Openelec (0.99.5) for my htpc, can the configuration of the buttons be done a another PC (running windows)? and if I do will it work when I plug it in my openelec htpc?

I saw that someone got it to work with openelec, but I'm just not sure on how to set it all up.

EDIT: Never mind my question, I just checked the openelec forums and found the answer to my question Smile
http://www.openelec.tv/forum/27-hardware...rc-support
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17