Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: why hasn't anyone mentioned flirc?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
matthew1975 Wrote:Awaiting the arrival of this. I am going to use a Charter remote. Do I to have to first a fake code on the aux input for a device then set up programing for this? Or will it accept any input buttons for the aux setting?

Just set it on AUX and that is it. Then just use the flirc program and start to input what you want.
Beer40oz Wrote:Just set it on AUX and that is it. Then just use the flirc program and start to input what you want.

I was wondering the same thing. When I set my DTV remote to auxillary it just flashes and Flirc does not receive any incoming signals. From what I can tell I have to input a code to initialize the buttons. Problem is I dont know of a code that uses all buttons other than the DirectTV setup. So basically I can add a "DVD" code to Aux1 and Flirc will only recognize the buttons that a DVD player uses. I need a way to map all buttons without the remote trying to control my DVR box. I currently have it mapped to an old DVD remote I found lying around, but I would like to be using my DirectTV remote in aux mode to control XBMC. Any thoughts? Or am I missing something?
areamey2009 Wrote:I was wondering the same thing. When I set my DTV remote to auxillary it just flashes and Flirc does not receive any incoming signals. From what I can tell I have to input a code to initialize the buttons. Problem is I dont know of a code that uses all buttons other than the DirectTV setup. So basically I can add a "DVD" code to Aux1 and Flirc will only recognize the buttons that a DVD player uses. I need a way to map all buttons without the remote trying to control my DVR box. I currently have it mapped to an old DVD remote I found lying around, but I would like to be using my DirectTV remote in aux mode to control XBMC. Any thoughts? Or am I missing something?

Try programming another television under the AUX, the newer televisions like samsung should have most of those buttons. It also depends on the remote, sometimes, they hinder them by always making the play/pause/etc buttons go to the dvd player. In my opinion, it's always random and a feature no one seems to know what the right answer is.
Thanks Jason!

I figured it out. There is an option under the DirectTV remote setup menu to set up Aux1 as a second DVR receiver. This opens up all the buttons and does not interfere with the actual DirectTV receiver. I was able to map all the buttons to XBMC using my Flirc and have everything setup as I had originally intended.

LOVE THIS LITTLE THING!! (and no, that's not what she said)
Available in the UK?
Piers Wrote:Available in the UK?

Yup, let me know if you have any trouble on the site.
areamey2009 Wrote:Thanks Jason!

I figured it out. There is an option under the DirectTV remote setup menu to set up Aux1 as a second DVR receiver. This opens up all the buttons and does not interfere with the actual DirectTV receiver. I was able to map all the buttons to XBMC using my Flirc and have everything setup as I had originally intended.

LOVE THIS LITTLE THING!! (and no, that's not what she said)

lol.

Glad it's working, as always, email me with any questions or feedback.
Hmmm, tried ordering one, but PayPal isn't showing.
Will try again later.

'thecure' isn't a valid coupon code, is it? I click apply, but there's no discount Sad

Quote:This order is paid. Thank you!
Nod
RudolfR Wrote:Hmmm, tried ordering one, but PayPal isn't showing.
Will try again later.

'thecure' isn't a valid coupon code, is it? I click apply, but there's no discount Sad

Nod

Should be fixed, sorry about that. Lemonstand is a bit unstable when it comes to coupon codes.
Kaitlyn2004 Wrote:How does this work with Harmony? What device do you add? And how will Flirc know not to listen to "up" when I am trying to tell my tv's menu up?) (I don't have a Harmony yet so forgive me... Smile)

Only half way through the thread, so not sure if any body has responded to you. The way the Harmony works is only one device can be mapped to a specific button on the remote at a time. So for example if you have selected the activity watch XBMC, then the Harmony Up, Down, Left, Right and Select buttons would be mapped to send the appropriate XBMC codes. If later you wish to watch TV, you would select the activity watch TV at which point the same buttons would send the up,down, left, right and select codes for your Cable Receiver/PVR. So there is little to no chance for overlap.

So you say what if I want to control my TV menu (requiring up, down, select) while I am watching a movie on XBMC also needing to be mapped to the same keys. Harmony's use is based around activities. This way if you want to lets say watch a movie on XBMC, you map your XBMC keys, but at the same time within that activity you can control your volume via receiver and aspect ratio of your TV from one keypad layout/activity. If while watching a movie in XBMC, you discover lets say your TV brightness is low, all you have to do is select device/TV and then all the remote keys are mapped to your TV, adjust the brightness and then select activity/XBMC to return remote control to the XBMC.

Hope this helps and not too wordy...

Point blank, I have used many universal remotes over the years. Once I got my hands on a Harmony 880, I never looked back. I own 8 of them, 3 in use and 5 just in case one or more ware out. Truth be told with daily heavy use, the volume usually goes first after 2-3 years. But if you are not picky, I am, you could just map to a different button or create a custom on screen replacement button.
It is about time someone did this, exactly what I have been looking for in vain. Just ordered 2. Paypal is working, you just have to wait a minute or so. Got an email confirmation.

Jason, quick question after reading the whole thread. I am setting up an HTPC using Ubuntu 10.0 XBMC Live. That was basically effortless. Long story short, as I understand it, a PC sees the FLIRC as a generic keyboard. So if I program the FLIRC under Windows, I should be able to then plug it into my HTPC and not have to muck with Linux. Please say yes... Please say yes... fingers crossed. Rofl
I had a question, I have a old TIVO remote that is IR, how does this work when not in LOS, thinking about it all my remotes are IR besides the ps3 bluetooth.
Any IR remote will need to be LOS in order to function. Nature of the beast.
the op said he stuck it inside his case.

If i stuck this behind my case in a port and put it back in my media rack, will my remote even register?

Or do I have to run a usb extension cable from the back my case and route it under/front of my TV to get exposure?
Beer40oz Wrote:@ jasonkotzin

I have encountered a problem with my samsung remote. It happened twice.
I have set UP, Down, Left, right arrow keys to the corresponding buttons on the remote. Turned on the computer and ready to use flirc with xbmc and no response I had to take out the dongle and stick it back in and it worked but the UP key on the remote did not longer work so I had to go in and set it again...

I thought that all keys where saved to the dongle.... so why it did not work anymore?

Well another day and booted my computer and the dongle was not read. Had to manual take out and plug back in and it worked. I have it hooked up on the side of the computer. So what I tried is to plug it in on the back right to the motherboard. So I restarted the computer to see if it would pick it up and at did! So what could be the problem? It does not like to be on the side?

So almost everytime I boot up my computer the dongle is not there. It says device driver was not successfully installed. So I take out the dongle and stick it back in and its all good. Anyone?

Sounds like the wake from sleep issues I had with it, eventually the constant pulling it out and putting it back in fried the dongle completely. I've sidelined the device for now until it wakes up with the computer. But as with all things similar symptoms may have multiple underlying issues, YMMV.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17