Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel...49337.html

"Initially written by Guillaume Martres <smarter at ubuntu.com> as a GSoC
project. Further contributions by the OpenHEVC project and other developers"

This is NOT OpenHEVC per-say but is based off it by OpenHEVC devs. Regardless, it's still not multi-threaded and what goes on inside OpenHEVC has little regard to the multi-threading of codecs in FFMpeg.
I just read from page "1-Current(17)" What you all said makes sense but i disagree in one phase.. for the fact that x/h265 will be some "commercial" stunt

or that it'll take decades before it's available. for God sake this thing has been in the books even before x264 came to be known. what I'm trying to

say is right now even as x/h265 is still in Dev-phase and not fully capable of the features that has been planned on it(at least it's going somewhere)

features of a successor is been planned and i can bet that was the case with x264 back then

(Until the inception of the Iphone)smartphones were not really smart as they are today...(Talking Samsung Galaxy Note 3 for instance)

People - Humans make this things we are smarter than we were 10 Years ago(After all humans make the so-called smart-devices(we evolve))

it's quite cunning when i see people talking "decades"

x265 -

Renders an advanced x264 - (basically)
Saves bandwidth/Internet data costs - (It Kills me there Smile )
Mainstream companies Tech giants want us to have a feel of this already - (Galaxy S4)
We all wish it's that time x265 is a full-breed and we can all use it so fast - (I can bet that)
x265 is the future who doesn't like to see what the future holds? - (talking technologically)

-What people don't tend to get from what I've read so far is the XBMC-Foundation is an organized body.

1. Meaning - they have planned when and when-not to include x265 en/decoding and don't plan on adding it any soon as it's not part of their current agenda. (meaning it's not coming any soon)

2. They believe it still has some glitches that needs to be polished meaning even after v14 is planned if x265 is not conditionally balanced.. It might not make it to the build.(unless if the stands change)

3. Final Will not add x/h265 any time soon

Those talking about "davilla" my main man been a "closed-source" fellow are wrong infact like all of us he is very happy for the future/features that x265 Hold's and if given the chance would love to a hands-on "first-blood" tester Smile

To conclude it all what The thread owner meant for this thread has been redirected to another location by those filled with anxiety and inability to wait for the future(Worry less about it, it comes sooner than you think)

What The thread owner opened this place for is a review of what x265 currently holds and discussions prior to his post (if i understood properly)
and future/feature improvements as time goes by - we get to know what's what for x265 inside this thread. and not a place were people get to lay their opinions about what should be and not what is.

I've typed much and wish to stop here i hope my message gets across to as many people as possible. considering the insight and clarity contained in it.

I'll subscribe to this and see what people have to say whether their attitudes towards open-source,xbmc,devs,davilla and the topic owner changes from here on.

That's my 2 Cent Big Grin - TerrorKeed
That wasnt 2c that was like $300 worth... Time wise it will cost 2 billion hours of reencoding Big Grin its easier faster to wack a disk in and have a 200 cubic meter storage for the disks themselves, which costs less that the bandwidth.

* un1versal sits back and gets a bucket of popcorn.

can someone change the color of the /me lines from bright red to green or some other less ouch and more readable color.?
Agree with the above / me

Also agree with the post above the one above - more or less. I'm happy with the results that x264, I recently bought another 6TB for £138 + delivery - I don't see that as a massive expense and certainly feel no need to re-encode/re-rip my physical collection or convert my requiem rips.

Also with 150 mb/s FTTC home connection without limits I don't see bandwidth as a problem, but I'm just one guy in one country.

I see the main uses for x264:

1) People with limit bandwidth (e.g. 50 GB per month)

2) People with limited connection speed ( < 15 mb/s)

3 People with mobile devices.

4) Content providers in order to save bandwidth costs - the obvious one there which I think will drive development and consumer devices.

* Piers watching
And ISP throttles Big Grin
(2014-02-05, 19:33)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]And ISP throttles Big Grin

Please quit thinking it's same in all countries bro, (One can get clean un-throttled internet illegally in some parts of the world as me Big Grin)

as i have said before let's not divert the goal of which this thread was created Smile

Peace.
eh its a general comment not a one for all rule Big Grin

I was reading this thread and was under the impression it also was created to examine/review the gains of HEVC over H264 and bandwidth is a a consideration ;D... I was replying to PIers anyway which he is in UK and UK has ISP throttles. But good to know you personally can get illegally un-throttled internet. which then your comment really does goes way offtopic.

* un1versal sits back for the pop-corn and some strawberry jelly covered women...
(2014-02-05, 22:44)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]eh its a general comment not a one for all rule Big Grin

This thread was created to examine/review the gains of HEVC over H264 and bandwidth is a a consideration ;D... I was replying to PIers anyway which in UK has ISP throttles. But good to know you can get illegally throttled internet. which then your comment really does

Hmm... I Love where this is going unfortunately I'm not going to take part Smile

Rest my case.
* un1versal hopes you enjoy the strawberry jelly covered women and illegal UN-throttled internet

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Is that 'un-throttled', or 'UN-throttled'? There's maybe 'NATO-throttled' and perhaps 'NSA-throttled' as well, although I think we've heard enough about the last of these recently... :-)
(2014-02-05, 22:38)TerrorKeed Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-05, 19:33)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]And ISP throttles Big Grin

Please quit thinking it's same in all countries bro, (One can get clean un-throttled internet illegally in some parts of the world as me Big Grin)

as i have said before let's not divert the goal of which this thread was created Smile

Peace.

(2014-02-06, 00:38)Prof Yaffle Wrote: [ -> ]Is that 'un-throttled', or 'UN-throttled'? There's maybe 'NATO-throttled' and perhaps 'NSA-throttled' as well, although I think we've heard enough about the last of these recently... :-)

un-throttled , spellchecker is mad Big Grin But who knows they probably send a drone to load-balance and level the lot uiii these illegal interwebs Big Grin
Hmm... Is this still HEVC talk or someone is trynna portray his "Know-All" Life or Is just that he is Claiming to be perfect!!
(2014-02-05, 22:44)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]... I was replying to Piers anyway which he is in UK and UK has ISP throttles...

Not all UK ISPs throttle connections, the only type of traffic they do throttle is P2P - and that's only during the day. Since I rarely use P2P it doesn't matter or bother me. (S)FTP is never throttled.

(2014-02-06, 00:38)Prof Yaffle Wrote: [ -> ]Is that 'un-throttled', or 'UN-throttled'? There's maybe 'NATO-throttled' and perhaps 'NSA-throttled' as well, although I think we've heard enough about the last of these recently... :-)

Hahahahahahaha.

(2014-02-06, 09:46)TerrorKeed Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm... Is this still HEVC talk or someone is trynna portray his "Know-All" Life or Is just that he is Claiming to be perfect!!

Is Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. worth a watch?
(2014-02-06, 16:55)Piers Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-05, 22:44)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]... I was replying to Piers anyway which he is in UK and UK has ISP throttles...

Not all UK ISPs throttle connections, the only type of traffic they do throttle is P2P - and that's only during the day. Since I rarely use P2P it doesn't matter or bother me. (S)FTP is never throttled.

Hahahahahahaha.

(2014-02-06, 09:46)TerrorKeed Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm... Is this still HEVC talk or someone is trynna portray his "Know-All" Life or Is just that he is Claiming to be perfect!!

Is Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. worth a watch?

Yeah it is tho it's a premiere.
news:

50ea931 Add libx265 encoder
Changelog | 1 +
LICENSE | 2 +-
configure | 7 ++
doc/general.texi | 19 +++-
libavcodec/Makefile | 1 +
libavcodec/allcodecs.c | 1 +
libavcodec/libx265.c | 284 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
libavcodec/version.h | 2 +-
8 files changed, 313 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

http://anzwix.com/a/Libav/AddLibx265Encoder

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...px=MTYwMTg
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28