Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
this is just the industry wanting to cash in on you buying new hw to play back bitrate raped streams they sell to naive joe as hd. where the real snr is hidden beneath tons of psychovisual tricks.
I don't mind the commercial intent of h.265, but yeah, I don't look forward to the push for 4K and 3D and other stuff that will be pushed even more with h.265. I still look forward to h.265 in general, but mostly because most of my video content is under my own control (rips, etc). One can hope that enough sane people in the world will exist to prevent h.265 being exclusively used on some online video services. I'm a bit of a tree hugger, after all, and hate it when perfectly good devices are pushed aside just to sell new ones.
H.264 is ten years old and took quite a few years before widespread adoption.

H.265 will be much the same. It is not going to suddenly take over. It will take time, and in that time CPU power will increase and hardware decoders will become common.

I don't see any reason to hate on it or call it 'crap'. Anybody who makes these kind of statements probably has a hidden agenda.
h.265 killed JFK. There, I said it. We were all thinking it, and someone had to say it.
(2013-07-30, 18:03)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I don't mind the commercial intent of h.265, but yeah, I don't look forward to the push for 4K and 3D and other stuff that will be pushed even more with h.265. I still look forward to h.265 in general, but mostly because most of my video content is under my own control (rips, etc). One can hope that enough sane people in the world will exist to prevent h.265 being exclusively used on some online video services. I'm a bit of a tree hugger, after all, and hate it when perfectly good devices are pushed aside just to sell new ones.

I feel like I didn't explain a lot of this, and that maybe the article didn't explain it either. x265 will be just like x264 availability wise. It won't be restricted, you'll be able to use it.

As for playback like I said before, mobile processors are able to handle 1080p, 30 fps playback. Platforms of XBMC will certainly be able to handle x265 content. The only exceptions will be high bitrate stuff, but we already have problems with that kind of stuff for RasPi, and other devices that can't handle some very high bitrate 1080p stuff anyway. So I highly doubt that will be a hinderance.

As for 4K? I don't really care about 4K at all at the moment. It's still 2-3 years out it seems. I personally think it's the worst resolution to come out for HDTV. No one sits close enough to a TV to see the benefits of 4K. Many people's living rooms/TVs aren't even set up to see the benefit of 1080p over 720p. 4K TVs push back many advancements that we actually need in TVs just for a branding point that is easy to sell.

We still need:
Better Black Levels
Better Contrast
Better viewing angles

All these to me are more important than a resolution that I can only see teh benefit of at 6 feet from my TV on displays of 80 inches or bigger (CNET article).

Either way though, this is a huge development for HTPCs. Especially considering that these are PRELIMINARY reviews. Many of the stuff that is in x264 that makes it so efficient hasn't even been implemented yet into this.
(2013-07-30, 20:50)voochi Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see any reason to hate on it or call it 'crap'. Anybody who makes these kind of statements probably has a hidden agenda.

Yea, my hidden agenda is I don't want to be pestered by clueless persons that start parroting that h265 is the next best thing since sliced bread and we xbmc devs should immediately stop the press and anything we might be working on, to implement it...
(2013-07-30, 22:02)davilla Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-30, 20:50)voochi Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see any reason to hate on it or call it 'crap'. Anybody who makes these kind of statements probably has a hidden agenda.

Yea, my hidden agenda is I don't want to be pestered by clueless persons that start parroting that h265 is the next best thing since sliced bread and we xbmc devs should immediately stop the press and anything we might be working on, to implement it...

who said that in this thread? everyone else is explaining why this is not good but you come off like it's your time of the month and you woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

(2013-07-30, 16:02)davilla Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-29, 15:20)krish_2k4 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-29, 03:00)davilla Wrote: [ -> ]Crap. No HW decoder supports it, None, zero, nappa. This means back to high powered and noisy boxes for SW decode. No thank you please.

what an absurd post, the thing is not even out yet and your already shooting it down with such a stupid post.
would of expected better from a dev.

This absurd xbmc dev happens to be an expert on hardware video decoding. I'm glad you find my post absurd, perhaps when I refuse to provide any code to handle h265, that will get your attention.

now see your coming off like a all high and might dev, king and ruler of all. your mistaken if you think refusing to do something will get my attention, i will just move to another service.
but it is cute you think you have power.
All hail lord Davilla _o_
(2013-07-30, 21:22)tential Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-30, 18:03)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I don't mind the commercial intent of h.265, but yeah, I don't look forward to the push for 4K and 3D and other stuff that will be pushed even more with h.265. I still look forward to h.265 in general, but mostly because most of my video content is under my own control (rips, etc). One can hope that enough sane people in the world will exist to prevent h.265 being exclusively used on some online video services. I'm a bit of a tree hugger, after all, and hate it when perfectly good devices are pushed aside just to sell new ones.

I feel like I didn't explain a lot of this, and that maybe the article didn't explain it either. x265 will be just like x264 availability wise. It won't be restricted, you'll be able to use it.

As for playback like I said before, mobile processors are able to handle 1080p, 30 fps playback. Platforms of XBMC will certainly be able to handle x265 content. The only exceptions will be high bitrate stuff, but we already have problems with that kind of stuff for RasPi, and other devices that can't handle some very high bitrate 1080p stuff anyway. So I highly doubt that will be a hinderance.

As for 4K? I don't really care about 4K at all at the moment. It's still 2-3 years out it seems. I personally think it's the worst resolution to come out for HDTV. No one sits close enough to a TV to see the benefits of 4K. Many people's living rooms/TVs aren't even set up to see the benefit of 1080p over 720p. 4K TVs push back many advancements that we actually need in TVs just for a branding point that is easy to sell.

We still need:
Better Black Levels
Better Contrast
Better viewing angles

All these to me are more important than a resolution that I can only see teh benefit of at 6 feet from my TV on displays of 80 inches or bigger (CNET article).

Either way though, this is a huge development for HTPCs. Especially considering that these are PRELIMINARY reviews. Many of the stuff that is in x264 that makes it so efficient hasn't even been implemented yet into this.

I've known all about h.256 before this thread or that posted article. I'm not saying it's restricted. I'm trying to present a middle ground because both users and team XBMC members are acting stupid in this thread regarding h.265 (not you, but others). There's no reason for the pre-emptive hate, but there's no conspiracy going on, but there's good reason to be cautious, etc etc etc.

Whatever, though. I'm looking forward to it, and whatever happens happens.
This is a crazy thread: everybody likes evolution of codecs. Only Davilla prefers locking his code in closed source drivers for his personal gain above new codecs to benefit all.
(2013-07-31, 00:09)Robotica Wrote: [ -> ]This is a crazy thread: everybody likes evolution of codecs. Only Davilla prefers locking his code in closed source drivers for his personal gain above new codecs to benefit all.

LMAO
You really believe the nonsense you just said? You seriously need to go to a brain doctor :D
(2013-07-31, 00:09)Robotica Wrote: [ -> ]This is a crazy thread: everybody likes evolution of codecs. Only Davilla prefers locking his code in closed source drivers for his personal gain above new codecs to benefit all.

Davilla might be fanning some flames in this thread, but what you said there isn't true at all. Not even a tiny little bit. He stands up for open source and makes sure it is followed to the letter. If there was one person I wouldn't have to worry about as far as "locking" things way as closed source, it would be him.

You have to look at why he's ripping on h.265. He's quite clear about his reasons. He's not entirely wrong, either. I don't think it will be as bad as he's expecting it to be, but it's still a very rational opinion. It's not about the codec itself, but more about people's expectations of "the next best thing".

Whatever though. Everyone just needs to stop. (Not that I'm much better about arguing on the forums, sometimes)
(2013-07-31, 00:26)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]You have to look at why he's ripping on h.265.

If I worked for a company that sold ARM boxes then I probably wouldn't want people thinking about H.265 either. Someone thinking about next-gen codecs is more likely to build an upgradeable x86 machine and less likely to buy one of my underpowered ARM box. Heck, these toys can barely manage current formats..

Robotica, you are warned. You know what that means. I've done it before to you and I'll do it again.
(2013-07-31, 00:29)voochi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-31, 00:26)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]You have to look at why he's ripping on h.265.

If I worked for a company that sold ARM boxes then I probably wouldn't want people thinking about H.265 either. Someone thinking about next-gen codecs is more likely to build an upgradeable x86 machine and less likely to buy one of my underpowered ARM box. Heck, these toys can barely manage current formats..

H.265 is a planned codec. There are ARM SoCs on the market today that can decode H.265. I don't think you even know what you're talking about. Someone in the market of selling ARM boxes has nothing to worry about when it comes to H.265. Cheese and crackers, man, where you do get this BS from?

Instead of stopping to at least consider what he literally said, you'd rather draw unfounded conclusions because of his employer. People like you are the cancer that slows open source from spreading into commercial markets. The moment someone isn't doing something for free, they're suddenly evil? Get real.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28